Grado Fan Club!
Mar 31, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #13,381 of 65,796

Thanks so much! I'm a couple days in and still loving them :) Curious... are you using them with and amp / dac? I've already read some about using an amp or dac with Grados. I have an Audioengine D1 and I'm actually thinking the details in the highs seem better straight out of my mac mini or iPhone. Kind of odd. Any thoughts on that?

Hey Evan, 

I use them primarily with an Audioquest Dragonfly and have had really nice results with that. Files are lossless rips from CD or, if I'm streaming, it's Spotify at 320. No real differences between those two formats to note, but if I'm buying music, I always rip it to lossless since storage is so cheap now. I've also driven them with excellent results out of a Yamaha CR2020, an absolutely beautiful vintage amp. 

One of the reasons I like Grados so much is that they are relatively easy to drive ( that is, inexpensive to drive ), and so I think the total cost of investment can be lower with them than other headphones. That said, I have heard my PS500s out of some of the Schiit stacks and I do think they are worthy of that kind of equipment. I've never heard the Magni / Modi / Vali line, but I am very close to picking up the Vali. I'm sure I will one of these days, but for now I'm happy with what I've got.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #13,382 of 65,796
  My first expensive can was the LCD-2.  Never want to go there again.  Yeah, and I took some crap for that.

the lcd-2, didn't like
the lcd-x, i do like , very much so, but, they aren't grado's, and thats ok too

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #13,384 of 65,796

My first expensive can was the LCD-2.  Never want to go there again.  Yeah, and I took some crap for that.

the lcd-2, didn't like
the lcd-x, i do like , very much so, but, they aren't grado's, and thats ok too

NO, EVERYONE must have Grados.  That is final.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #13,388 of 65,796
Mar 31, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #13,390 of 65,796
I stand In the dark, hiding, waiting for the next victim. Guy walks by with anything but a grado, I jump out, grab them and throw them down, jump on them and run away yelling "everyone must have Grado!"

I do this mon-Thursdays

does somebody else take weekend duty ??

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #13,394 of 65,796
What didn't you like? Loving my LCD2s so far and I've yet to optimize the amp for them.

2 things: bass at the expense of a tactile midrange, and the weight of the darn things.

But to be fair, that was off of the Hifiman speaker tap connected to my Marantz receiver.  Considering that the Alpha Dogs sounds infinitely better with the Burson, I would like to try the LCD-2 and my old HE-5LE's again with the Burson.

That being the case, I have my eyes on the new Hifiman HE-560's for an open planar, to compliment the Alpah's and the 225i's.  I also still want to the GS1000's at some point.  My taste in cans is not getting any cheaper!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back