Grado Fan Club!
Jan 20, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #11,566 of 65,687
Speaking of PS-1000:

i'm looking for another headband/clips (like the Joseph Grado sort of clips)

These plastic things are not really great for these headphones.

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #11,567 of 65,687
Well, partial liberation means to change the to material. Full liberation means to replace the whole cup.

It's not exactly a documented science though, this is from my reading on the SR60 Mod thread, the Grado Modders Go Magnum thread and the Post Your Grado Mods thread.

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #11,568 of 65,687
Speaking of PS-1000:

i'm looking for another headband/clips (like the Joseph Grado sort of clips)

These plastic things are not really great for these headphones.

http://www.martincustomaudio.com/p/sale-aluminum-gimbals-rodblocks.html

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #11,569 of 65,687
Jan 20, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #11,570 of 65,687
Those are some nice gimbals!

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #11,571 of 65,687
Jan 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #11,572 of 65,687
So you're saying that the Ps-1000, SR325is are "half liberated"?

In reality a driver is either liberated or not. By liberating the driver you break the plastic/wood/whatever that the driver itself is housed in, in oder place just the driver into the cup.

A non-liberated driver still is housed in plastic/wood/whatever housing, then that housing slides into the cup. So I would say its one or the other.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #11,573 of 65,687
  In reality a driver is either liberated or not. By liberating the driver you break the plastic/wood/whatever that the driver itself is housed in, in oder place just the driver into the cup.

A non-liberated driver still is housed in plastic/wood/whatever housing, then that housing slides into the cup. So I would say its one or the other.

Agreed.
Partially liberated gives a false idea... basically all it is, is separation of the driver (still within the sleeve) and the shell/cup. Which is what most of us would call 'opening-up' the cans.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #11,574 of 65,687

Agreed...I think that's why folks started calling it "partially liberated"...to name that odd, in-between state. Neither liberated, nor completely within its original enclosure. We could call it the taint of the Grado modders world I guess :D

My apologies, I couldn't resist. Its been years since an occasion for a taint joke presented itself.

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #11,575 of 65,687

Thanks!

i have these on the gs1000i

Is that headband comfortable? My current one was is the first one that came with the original PS-1000, the leather cuts into my head :/

Agreed.
Partially liberated gives a false idea... basically all it is, is separation of the driver (still within the sleeve) and the shell/cup. Which is what most of us would call 'opening-up' the cans.

Thank you all for that explanation.

Agreed...I think that's why folks started calling it "partially liberated"...to name that odd, in-between state. Neither liberated, nor completely within its original enclosure. We could call it the taint of the Grado modders world I guess :D

My apologies, I couldn't resist. Its been years since an occasion for a taint joke presented itself.

I'm a bit bummed by that remark :wink:

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #11,576 of 65,687
Thanks!
Is that headband comfortable? My current one was is the first one that came with the original PS-1000, the leather cuts into my head :/

Thank you all for that explanation.
I'm a bit bummed by that remark
wink.gif

its super comfortable to me, the most comfortable headphone i've worn

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #11,577 of 65,687
doing a little straightening and organizing,

anyone want some ear zonk g-cush's,no charge, you can pay for mailing if you want ???  i'd hate to toss them out
just pm me

G's are spoken for !!
whirlwind was quick on the draw !

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #11,579 of 65,687
Jan 21, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #11,580 of 65,687
New Grado owner here.. OK.. not so new, had the 60i/80i years ago but quickly moved on.

I've had the PS500 for about 4 days now and have been running them in pretty much 7x24. Being the HeadFi convert that I am, I have (and had) a few pretty decent range of DACs and amplifiers ranging from the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2, Schiit Vali and the Naim DAC-V1.  Given that, I like the PS500 best running straight out of my MacBook Air and my iPad Mini the best.. no fancy or even entry level DACs and/or amplifiers.. just naked right straight out of my various devices.  How blasphemous is that??
blink.gif

I'm really enjoying the PS500 so far.. I think I'll crown them the Anti-HeadFi headphones!

But keeping in the tradition of HeadFi fanaticism, I have already found Martin Custom Audio.. how 'bout some aluminum gimbals/rodblocks and a custom cable job. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Glad to be part of the club.  Impression and review to come in about a month. I've already been asked how they compare to the HD800 and they're a totally different beast with a different use case for me.  Doesn't mean that I can't enjoy both.. I already am!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back