Grado Fan Club!
Nov 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #10,546 of 65,579
For what it's worth, I find the WA6 with the stock rectifier (Winged C) tube and 6FD7 power tubes, sounds great with the RS1. It was a significant improvement over the LD MKIII. I've read that the stock 6DE7 power tubes are a little thin with not a lot of bass impact. Anyway compared to the MKIII the WA6 has a much bigger soundstage, extended lows and highs and a lot better resolution.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #10,547 of 65,579
I'm another very happy WA6 owner.  Had it a couple of years with no issues whatsoever.  This, and all WOO products I have seen at meets are built to an incredible standard.  I have a lot of pride of ownership in this amp plus it sounds wonderful with my 325i woodies.  I have zero desire to upgrade, not even to the SE version.  As you probably know, it can also handle high impedance phones by flipping the switch in the back.  Drives my 880/600 just fine.

My advice is to do yourself a favor and get one. 
smile.gif

Here's mine with the 596 rectifier (needs adaptor) but the Sophia Princess 274B that I got with it is also great.

With Princess:

Best of luck!

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #10,548 of 65,579
I just pulled the credit card out and was going to place my order and saw your message pop up!
I am going to order the WA6 with the SP upgrade so I'm glad I saw your message!
Can you tell me if it is worth the upgrade, is it that much more significant over the stock WA6?
Also I'm going to be using this with the RS1i's, and I really love detail and a nice fast tight bass, could you tell me from experience if I should order different drive tubes with the amp, or are the stock 6DE7 tubes good at this? I've read that the Raytheon 6EW7 tubes give a nice tight strong bass with smooth highs and sound great with the Grados, are you familiar with this tube, also do you know if WOO uses Raytheon brand tubes as OEM. Thank you.

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #10,549 of 65,579
  I just pulled the credit card out and was going to place my order and saw your message pop up!
I am going to order the WA6 with the SP upgrade so I'm glad I saw your message!
Can you tell me if it is worth the upgrade, is it that much more significant over the stock WA6?
Also I'm going to be using this with the RS1i's, and I really love detail and a nice fast tight bass, could you tell me from experience if I should order different drive tubes with the amp, or are the stock 6DE7 tubes good at this? I've read that the Raytheon 6EW7 tubes give a nice tight strong bass with smooth highs and sound great with the Grados, are you familiar with this tube, also do you know if WOO uses Raytheon brand tubes as OEM. Thank you.

You will be happy whichever path you choose.
The SP rectifier should give you better detail...

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #10,551 of 65,579
well after spending so much time with the lcd's, today, nothing but the rs1i's ! ahhhhhhh toes tapping, and a big smile !
looking forward to your impressions of the woo joseph !!

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #10,552 of 65,579
I've been listening to the new 24/192 remaster of "Kind Of Blue" downloaded from HD Tracks in flac: it is awesome with the RS1i. The clarity and placement of the instruments, the bass, the soundstage, just everything! This is the first time I have truly enjoyed a digital version of this masterpiece, especially through headphones. I still have a mono first pressing vinyl copy and this version comes very close, it is awesome imo. I also listened to the album with my PS500, very nice but the RS1 easily wins out. My setup: iMac>iTunes/Pure Music player>Woo Audio WA7 dac/amp>RS1i  Diggin' It.

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #10,553 of 65,579
  I've been listening to the new 24/192 remaster of "Kind Of Blue" downloaded from HD Tracks in flac: it is awesome with the RS1i. The clarity and placement of the instruments, the bass, the soundstage, just everything! This is the first time I have truly enjoyed a digital version of this masterpiece, especially through headphones. I still have a mono first pressing vinyl copy and this version comes very close, it is awesome imo. I also listened to the album with my PS500, very nice but the RS1 easily wins out. My setup: iMac>iTunes/Pure Music player>Woo Audio WA7 dac/amp>RS1i  Diggin' It.

I have thought about getting the PS500 on more than one occasion, but every time I think about it, I ask myself, am I really gonna take the RS1i off my head....since the answer is no I have avoided getting the PS500

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #10,554 of 65,579

I have thought about getting the PS500 on more than one occasion, but every time I think about it, I ask myself, am I really gonna take the RS1i off my head....since the answer is no I have avoided getting the PS500

it really is quite different than the rs1, if i hadn't gotten the lcd2, i'd still have it

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #10,555 of 65,579

it really is quite different than the rs1, if i hadn't gotten the lcd2, i'd still have it

Yeah, I know it has more at the bottom end, but to be honest......I am probably one of the very few that thinks the Grado's bass is just right.

I am not much on feeling my bass, or boomy bass.......I just like it to be fast and not mess up any detail .....it is one of the strongest points of the RS1i for me.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #10,556 of 65,579
Please don't take this the wrong way, because I think that the RS1i and the PS500 are both very good sounding headphones, but I think that the RS1i makes analog sound a bit like digital, and the PS500 makes digital sound a bit like analog. This obviously has to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

That being said, for those who are familiar with Reel to Reel tape recorders, I have transfered well recorded CDs on Quantegy 456 Grand Master 1/4'' R.T.R tape, at a speed of 7 1/2'' per second, and I think that the tape copie actually sounds better than the original CD.

The reason I prefer the tape copie is simply because tape rounds off CD's sometimes hard edge and steril sound, without adding much back ground noise.

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #10,557 of 65,579

Yeah, I know it has more at the bottom end, but to be honest......I am probably one of the very few that thinks the Grado's bass is just right.

I am not much on feeling my bass, or boomy bass.......I just like it to be fast and not mess up any detail .....it is one of the strongest points of the RS1i for me.

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I think that the RS1i and the PS500 are both very good sounding headphones, but I think that the RS1i makes analog sound a bit like digital, and the PS500 makes digital sound a bit like analog. This obviously has to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

That being said, for those who are familiar with Reel to Reel tape recorders, I have transfered well recorded CDs on Quantegy 456 Grand Master 1/4'' R.T.R tape, at a speed of 7 1/2'' per second, and I think that the tape copie actually sounds better than the original CD.

The reason I prefer the tape copie is simply because tape rounds off CD's sometimes hard edge and steril sound, without adding much back ground noise.

I do prefer the RS1i to the PS500 in bass presentation in many jazz recordings, Kind Of Blue being a prime example. To my ears it's a quality vs quantity thing, and the RS1i has such an articulate bass it suits this new remaster to a tee. That said, I get what stacker45 is saying about the PS500 having a bit more of an analog quality-and I prefer it with certain recordings that have that digital "edge". The PS500 adds a boominess to the bass on this remaster, while the RS1i seems just right. They are both great headphones though.

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #10,558 of 65,579
  well after spending so much time with the lcd's, today, nothing but the rs1i's ! ahhhhhhh toes tapping, and a big smile !
looking forward to your impressions of the woo joseph !!

Thanks, they also are sending me the 6EW7 tubes which I was going to purchase for $40.00 in place of the stock 6DE7. From what I've read matched with the Sophia Princess rectifier tube upgrade they give the RS1i's a nice fast tight bass, better detail and smoother high frequencies. Can't wait (once again) the receive the amp, and I'll be sure to let you know initially and after  burn-in how I like it. Only thing is I will only be able to explain the differences that I hear (initially) between the Ear+HD and the WA6 because the Ear was hardly used, so it wasn't burned-in at all but, it was a beautiful sounding amp even though it didn't have many hours on it at all, plus the issues I unfortunately had with mine.

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #10,559 of 65,579
Don't worry about comparing, just enjoy your WA-6!
Burn it in with the stock tube, test it out, then through in the SP and enjoy...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back