Grado Fan Club!
Nov 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #10,561 of 65,682

Yeah, I know it has more at the bottom end, but to be honest......I am probably one of the very few that thinks the Grado's bass is just right.

I am not much on feeling my bass, or boomy bass.......I just like it to be fast and not mess up any detail .....it is one of the strongest points of the RS1i for me.

I fell off the Grado wagon for a bit.  On my journey, I had a chance to hear many headphones as they passed through my collection.  Yes, many head bass well above and beyond what a Grado offers.  However, with the other headphones, I found myself being too analytic towards the sound and had the mentality that I could keep climbing the chain and have pure perfection.  The reality?  As you move up the chain, not one headphone will do everything perfect.  When I was using those other headphones and shooting for the moon with respect to bass, I became disconnected from my music.

Now, with the Grados, I found that I just can connect to the music again, and that's what I'm really after.  The "wow" factor was great ... it really was, but to be able to just turn on some music, place the headphones on and just enjoy hearing my music is my #1 goal.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #10,562 of 65,682

I fell off the Grado wagon for a bit.  On my journey, I had a chance to hear many headphones as they passed through my collection.  Yes, many head bass well above and beyond what a Grado offers.  However, with the other headphones, I found myself being too analytic towards the sound and had the mentality that I could keep climbing the chain and have pure perfection.  The reality?  As you move up the chain, not one headphone will do everything perfect.  When I was using those other headphones and shooting for the moon with respect to bass, I became disconnected from my music.

Now, with the Grados, I found that I just can connect to the music again, and that's what I'm really after.  The "wow" factor was great ... it really was, but to be able to just turn on some music, place the headphones on and just enjoy hearing my music is my #1 goal.

I agree 100%

I could care less about the technical specs, it is all about putting a smile on your face and enjoying the music.

The RS1i does this for me every time I put it on.

Synergy, synergy, synergy 
beerchug.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #10,563 of 65,682
  Don't worry about comparing, just enjoy your WA-6!
Burn it in with the stock tube, test it out, then through in the SP and enjoy...
beerchug.gif

No, I didn't mean it like that, what I meant was I wish I could have spent more time with the Ear+HD, and heard its full potential. I would have liked to just hear their differences for myself, but definitely will not dwell on it.
I will do just that, and enjoy the WA6, thanks!

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #10,564 of 65,682
Yeah, I know it has more at the bottom end, but to be honest......I am probably one of the very few that thinks the Grado's bass is just right.

I am not much on feeling my bass, or boomy bass.......I just like it to be fast and not mess up any detail .....it is one of the strongest points of the RS1i for me.

I think the bass on the SR80i is really good, but the RS2, when the monitors are "punched" and with the bowlpads it sounds great as well. And the PS1000 is perfectly in balance.

My GR10's seem to lack a bit on bass, but not too much.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #10,565 of 65,682

Took this yesterday morning as the light direction was surprisingly good xD 

Either way, I like the grado better when the treble is tamed slightly downward to fix the harsh sound with some of my songs 

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #10,567 of 65,682
I agree, swaping pads is relatively cheap, and totally reversible, I still can't get over how much better my SR80i sound with the L pads.

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #10,568 of 65,682

I have always said that I did not understand people complaining about the lack of bass, Maybe on pipe organ music or something but for what I listen to, I love the bass from both the 325 and 225 models.  The main thing I like is the incredible detail and texture of the bass, you can actually hear the resonance of the wooden standup bass.

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #10,569 of 65,682

I have always said that I did not understand people complaining about the lack of bass, Maybe on pipe organ music or something but for what I listen to, I love the bass from both the 325 and 225 models.  The main thing I like is the incredible detail and texture of the bass, you can actually hear the resonance of the wooden standup bass.

One of my favorite speaker designers is Joe Akroyd = Royd Audio - Google it...
This is his view of bass which I think applies to Grados:

If a loudspeaker is any good then the bass end of the frequency range will play a recognizable tune and not just a loud, repetitious, dull thud. It should be possible to distinguish whether a bass guitar, double bass or large drum is being played. Few recordings have been made where the bass player can only play one or perhaps two notes on an unknown instrument. The bass notes should not be too long. In comparing speakers the one where the bass notes are of shorter duration is the better loudspeaker. This applies to any note in the audible range but it is generally easier to judge low notes.

Joe Akroyd © 1998, all rights reserved.

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #10,570 of 65,682
  I agree, swaping pads is relatively cheap, and totally reversible, I still can't get over how much better my SR80i sound with the L pads.

I purchased TTVJ flat pads about 6 weeks ago to hear them with the RS1i's and took them off immediately, then I tried them with the 325is's, same results, put them in the draw since! After reading your post about how you liked the 80's with the (L) cushions since I advised you try to them, I decided to try the TTVJ flat with the 80' (listening with them right now), between the three different models I own, they sound the best with the 80's (which I never even bothered to try them with). I don't know if you have these pads, but if so, check them out with your 80's, not bad at all, but I still prefer the (L), but you will get a totally different sound, as always.

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #10,571 of 65,682
  I purchased TTVJ flat pads about 6 weeks ago to hear them with the RS1i's and took them off immediately, then I tried them with the 325is's, same results, put them in the draw since! After reading your post about how you liked the 80's with the (L) cushions since I advised you try to them, I decided to try the TTVJ flat with the 80' (listening with them right now), between the three different models I own, they sound the best with the 80's (which I never even bothered to try them with). I don't know if you have these pads, but if so, check them out with your 80's, not bad at all, but I still prefer the (L), but you will get a totally different sound, as always.

I do have flats, I had even order two pairs from TTVJ just in case they ever deicide to stop producing them I'd have a spair pair, and the other pair is on my HP1000.

It's late, and I'm pretty tired, but you definately got me curious, so I'm going to try the flats on my SR80i tomorrow for sure.

By the way, I just finished listening to my HP1000 with my ''new'' old HPA-2, and together they seem to sound better and better everytime I listen to them. In my opinion, the HP1000 doesn't have the WOW! factor that the PS1000 has, they have a much more subtle sound signature but it's definately growing on me. I call this, ''brain burn in'', regardless, I like what I'm hearing, and that's what counts.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #10,572 of 65,682
  One of my favorite speaker designers is Joe Akroyd = Royd Audio - Google it...
This is his view of bass which I think applies to Grados:

If a loudspeaker is any good then the bass end of the frequency range will play a recognizable tune and not just a loud, repetitious, dull thud. It should be possible to distinguish whether a bass guitar, double bass or large drum is being played. Few recordings have been made where the bass player can only play one or perhaps two notes on an unknown instrument. The bass notes should not be too long. In comparing speakers the one where the bass notes are of shorter duration is the better loudspeaker. This applies to any note in the audible range but it is generally easier to judge low notes.

Joe Akroyd © 1998, all rights reserved.

I think that does very much apply with Grados......thanks for that parbaked.

More bass does not mean better bass, imho.

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #10,573 of 65,682

I think that does very much apply with Grados......thanks for that parbaked.

More bass does not mean better bass, imho.

Unfortunately, I think more bass DOES equal better bass to the majority of people, at least the ones who post on these forums. When you hear people arguing about the quality of components and then come to find out the only thing they listen to are MP3 files, you just have to shake your head. 'No clue' is what goes through my mind.

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #10,574 of 65,682

Unfortunately, I think more bass DOES equal better bass to the majority of people, at least the ones who post on these forums. When you hear people arguing about the quality of components and then come to find out the only thing they listen to are MP3 files, you just have to shake your head. 'No clue' is what goes through my mind.

This whole thing is controversial among bassists as well.  But the people that I respect, and the ones that execute a flawless bass mix with or without a PA, are the ones who understand that the critical range for bass begins at 60 Hz, not 40 Hz.  In my bass rig, I cut all the frequencies below 50 Hz with a 24 dB high pass filter when performing live, unless the acoustics are very, very good, in which case I cut at 40.

Grado actually seems to understand this as well. That's why the bass so darn articulate and clear.

If I'm listening to music with substantial energy below 40 Hz, I have the Alpha Dogs for that.  But for the vast majority of my collection, the Grado's are the best choice I have.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #10,575 of 65,682

I do have flats, I had even order two pairs from TTVJ just in case they ever deicide to stop producing them I'd have a spair pair, and the other pair is on my HP1000.

It's late, and I'm pretty tired, but you definately got me curious, so I'm going to try the flats on my SR80i tomorrow for sure.

By the way, I just finished listening to my HP1000 with my ''new'' old HPA-2, and together they seem to sound better and better everytime I listen to them. In my opinion, the HP1000 doesn't have the WOW! factor that the PS1000 has, they have a much more subtle sound signature but it's definately growing on me. I call this, ''brain burn in'', regardless, I like what I'm hearing, and that's what counts.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe I remember when you got the HPA-2, or I saw pictures of it some how, I think. Glad to hear your enjoying the combo together, and I do understand about the "brain burn-in" also, because when I switch from the three Grados I own, I have to get use to each of them again, and this takes a little while, but I'll listen to each one for days at a time. When you get the chance let us know how you like the TTVJ flats with the 80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back