Grado Fan Club!
Nov 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #10,592 of 65,800
Called it jay... I give it 3 weeks before you seriously search for a new pair...

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #10,593 of 65,800
Just placed an order for the AudioQuest Dragon Fly from Amazon for $99.00U.S., shipped!
I saw someone posted it in the deals thread (thanks), so I've read nothing but positive reviews about it, so for the price I figured I'd try it against the Modi, and my 1990 Meridian203.

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #10,594 of 65,800
  Just placed an order for the AudioQuest Dragon Fly from Amazon for $99.00U.S., shipped!
I saw someone posted it in the deals thread (thanks), so I've read nothing but positive reviews about it, so for the price I figured I'd try it against the Modi, and my 1990 Meridian203.

I think you are going to find both of your other dacs are better, but at least the price was right.

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #10,595 of 65,800

I think you are going to find both of your other dacs are better, but at least the price was right.

Is this right?
Have you heard the Dragon Fly?
Do you have the Modi, or have you compared it to other dacs? Only asking because if this is the case I can cancel the order (and wouldn't mind saving the $99.00). I know its hard to go by what the reviews/other posters think, but please tell me your experience, thanks.

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #10,596 of 65,800
Called it jay... I give it 3 weeks before you seriously search for a new pair...

its possible, but i'm not quite there yet !!
seriously, the rs1 and the 500 just complement each other so well to me, and while having the same grado sense of space, pace
the lcd's are great, but they are a  different breed, huge sound stage, deeeeeep bass

but before i get another 500, i'm curious now about a gs1000i, who knows what'll show up here next

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #10,597 of 65,800
  Your missing the PS500 after just getting the LCD's and the Soloist, and don't you have the Ear+HD and the RS1i's? So which combos suit you best for your listening preferences so far?

just had the soloist a couple days, it sounds very good, its flexible, think of it like an asgard 2, with more inputs, an extra gain setting, and a little more refinement , the rs1 sounds great with it, detail, resolution, lightning fast.
i don't know if i have a preference, i'm still adjusting to the lcd's character , you know, that psycho-acoustic jazz
if i had to pick a combo that i preferred, it'd still be the rs1i- LD1+ , but the soloist is gaining ground !!

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #10,598 of 65,800
  Is this right?
Have you heard the Dragon Fly?
Do you have the Modi, or have you compared it to other dacs? Only asking because if this is the case I can cancel the order (and wouldn't mind saving the $99.00). I know its hard to go by what the reviews/other posters think, but please tell me your experience, thanks.

i had both the dragonfly and the modi, to me, just two different signatures, i wouldn't an order, if its amazon, easy returns, but the dragonfly is having an update, and a new lower price
http://www.audiostream.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-v12-usb-digital-audio-converter

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #10,599 of 65,800

i had both the dragonfly and the modi, to me, just two different signatures, i wouldn't an order, if its amazon, easy returns, but the dragonfly is having an update, and a new lower price
http://www.audiostream.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-v12-usb-digital-audio-converter

Thanks for the info, I'll wait until I receive it to see if I like the sound signature. Guess this also explains the big price drop!

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #10,600 of 65,800
  Thanks for the info, I'll wait until I receive it to see if I like the sound signature. Guess this also explains the big price drop!

hey for $100, and can return if you like, not much to loose
did you end up ordering an amp from woo ?
i got interested in the silver one on the sale thread that you were talking about
a voice in my head keeps saying my rs1 needs a more "fitting" tube amp ! lol
i'm loving the soloist though, its a keeper for sure

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #10,601 of 65,800
  If I'm not mistaken, I believe I remember when you got the HPA-2, or I saw pictures of it some how, I think. Glad to hear your enjoying the combo together, and I do understand about the "brain burn-in" also, because when I switch from the three Grados I own, I have to get use to each of them again, and this takes a little while, but I'll listen to each one for days at a time. When you get the chance let us know how you like the TTVJ flats with the 80's

You are not mistaking Joseph, I do own the HPA-2.

Although I used my stock Little Dot 1+ instead of the HPA-2 for this, I did try the TTVJ flats on my SR80is, and the first two things I noticed were that they had more bass extension and less treble extension.

Now, being that I always thought that the SR80i could use a little more bass, and that they could be a little on the hot side, especially with lesser recordings, the flats represent a win win upgrade. Also, the fact that a well trained chimp could perform the swap in under a minute, that it's relatively cheap, and totally reversible, makes this a no brainer.

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #10,602 of 65,800
stacker45, I agree that a well trained chimp could swap out the Grado pads in just a few seconds
biggrin.gif

I love how easy Grado made it to swap the pads out on their headphones.

I swap them out on my RS1i every once in awhile, as I own all of the pads.

I think Grado has it right by shipping the RS1i with the L- cushion.  The best pad by far for the RS1i  imo.

The MAD EAR amp makes the G-cushion sound better than it has with my RS1i at any time, but still not to the level of the L-cushion.

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #10,603 of 65,800
OH MY FREAKING GOD ITS BLACK FRIDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY !!!! lol
what grado goodies is everybody looking for ??
for me, hmmmmmmm
a gs1000i ?
another ps500?
a woo wa6 for the rs1i ? (even after josephs MAD ordeal, a MAD?)
oh the possibilities are endless !! it boggles the mind
first thing i'm gonna do for sure is pop in on TTVJ for some pads !

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #10,604 of 65,800
Jay...that GS1000i would be very nice
L3000.gif

I am just looking for some "smalls"......fill a few holes in my AC/DC collection.......clip on mic for gaming for my Q701 & maybe some cheap games off of steam........maybe a new tube for my MAD if I can find a nice deal.

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #10,605 of 65,800
  Jay...that GS1000i would be very nice
L3000.gif

I am just looking for some "smalls"......fill a few holes in my AC/DC collection.......clip on mic for gaming for my Q701 & maybe some cheap games off of steam........maybe a new tube ifo my MAD if I can find a nice deal.

my buddy focker, over in georgia, has a pair he bought at my favorite dealer in the ATL this year, so about brand spanking new,
he's making room for something new from audeze,, we've been talking.......

couldn't sleep last night, also saw a pair of senn hd700, a month old, bought from TTVJ, dude wants $560, or my lcd's, i said no to the trade lol

oh, almost forgot, i put in an order for a vali, just for kicks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back