Grado Fan Club!
Nov 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #10,426 of 65,730
  Looking to buy some speakers soon. Can anyone recommend a speaker that would appeal to someone who likes the Grado sound?

Yes I can.

My speaker of choice actually led me to try Grado's.  Ohm Acoustics is also manufactured in Brooklyn.  They are built by hand, and each speaker is tuned by ear, pretty much just like Grado.

The thing that makes them special is the Omni-directional design using a form of Walsh driver. It's an inverted driver than reproduces the entire frequency range up to 8000 Hz, where a super tweeter takes over.  The soundstage is MASSIC, and the imaging is scary in its precision.  They are not well-known, but they have a dedicated following that goes back to the 70's.

More info can be found here :  http://www.ohmspeaker.com/speakers/

I personally have the Ohm Micro Walsh Talls, and I used to own a pair of Ohm F's.  I doubt that I will ever need to buy another speaker brand- they are simply amazing.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #10,427 of 65,730
While perusing my usual vendors for a used pair of prestige series grados, I noticed that all of Amazons prices are crazy jacked! Is this simply because they're not an authorized dealer? $200 for SR 60s is just crazy!

Most Grados sold above MSRP are being parallel exported (sold to buyers outside US) to circumvent the local distributor or if there is no distributor. There is no reason for anyone in the US to buy any Grado over MSRP. It is rare to see any Grado sold below MSRP by an authorized dealer, unless part of an overall sale such that they are not excluding Grados from there store-wide discounting.

Thanks for the mention of this.  I'm also seeing U.S. vendors selling the SR-80i for $129.99 with free shipping on Ebay.  Several years ago, quite a few sellers would offer their items at a discount, but hit you hard with the shipping.  Now, they're working it another way by jacking up the price and throwing in the "Free" shipping.  The shipping would run about $8 or $9, yet they sold the pair of headphones at $30 over MSRP.  

A bit earlier this evening, I saw a pair of SR-125i Grados that were like "new" and stored in the box as the seller apparently didn't use them since receiving them as a gift.  The price?  $189.00, plus $8.75 for shipping.  In the posting, the seller indicated that the SR-125i had an MSRP of $199.99.  For most Grado purchases, Ebay is no longer such a great place.  However, one still needs to be alert and check the site every now and then as some great prices to happen, but they sell fast.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #10,428 of 65,730
another top notch cover, and i have on  the rs1i
and while i wasn't present for the first time the boys played it
i was there about 6-8 months later the first time they played the
bar i worked in , in macon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc3zUdGRJA0&list=RDP8UGkOn9vNY

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #10,429 of 65,730

Thanks for the mention of this.  I'm also seeing U.S. vendors selling the SR-80i for $129.99 with free shipping on Ebay.  Several years ago, quite a few sellers would offer their items at a discount, but hit you hard with the shipping.  Now, they're working it another way by jacking up the price and throwing in the "Free" shipping.  The shipping would run about $8 or $9, yet they sold the pair of headphones at $30 over MSRP.  

A bit earlier this evening, I saw a pair of SR-125i Grados that were like "new" and stored in the box as the seller apparently didn't use them since receiving them as a gift.  The price?  $189.00, plus $8.75 for shipping.  In the posting, the seller indicated that the SR-125i had an MSRP of $199.99.  For most Grado purchases, Ebay is no longer such a great place.  However, one still needs to be alert and check the site every now and then as some great prices to happen, but they sell fast.

Grado policy is not to honor any eBay (and some unauthorized Amazon) sales under warranty. i always assumed these vendors were trying to sell to international buyers to circumvent their local distributor or if there was no local source.
From first page of Grado website: http://www.gradolabs.com/page_aboutus.php

ADVISORY​

PRODUCT WARRANTY COVERAGE​

Only products purchased from an authorized Grado reseller will be honored under our warranty program. Authorized Grado resellers are not permitted to offer merchandise through eBay; hence any products purchased this way are not covered under our warranty program.

Please be advised that there are unauthorized sellers on Amazon, hence any products purchased this way also are not cover under our warranty program. We cannot verify the authenticity of Grado products purchased from unauthorized dealers. Please contact us for verification of a dealer's status.

When purchasing a Grado product please keep all receipts, for they will be needed to have warranty service performed. We want to be absolutely certain that you have a positive purchasing experience.

For more information email us at: info@gradolabs.com

THE LESSON IS TO BUY FROM AN AUTHORIZED GRADO RESELLER!

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #10,432 of 65,730
Nov 18, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #10,433 of 65,730
Interesting...he mentions a product though, not packaging. Could the box be considered product? Tomaytoe-toemahtoe...all shall be revealed tomorrow :)

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #10,435 of 65,730
The fifth image is particularly interesting. Do those look like tools for at least doping drivers, if not making them, to anyone else?

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #10,436 of 65,730
Interesting...he mentions a product though, not packaging. Could the box be considered product? Tomaytoe-toemahtoe...all shall be revealed tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the wooden boxes were sold separately a while back - you could buy them with a foam inset to hold either the Prestige/RS series or the GS1000/PS1000 models.

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #10,439 of 65,730
Grado recently posted these on their FB site.
1995 RS3 prototypes that never went into production.
Looks like the same small body size as the original plastic SR100/200/300/60/80/125/225.

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #10,440 of 65,730
Hello,
I am happy owner of 325is's and to my ears they are not bright as most people are saying about them. Not burnt at all yet, but I will let them to be soon. One question I have. Is it worth to think over the cable change? Does it bring a lot of benefit to change it at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back