Grado Fan Club!
Sep 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #9,076 of 65,912
Quote:
Who has sent their Grados in to have the cheese cloth type stuff replaced? How ratty did you let it get before you decided to send them in? Mine are starting to fray around the edges a bit, if it comes undone much more I would like to have them fixed.

I saw what jay attempted with the dryer sheets, I'd like something a bit more official than that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder if Grado just replaces the cloth, or do they give you new drivers, too?  Personally, I'd probably just contact them and explain your issue.  They might just send you the material.  If you had some great Grados, it would be a shame if they replaced the drivers -- and you didn't want them too.  Or, if you had the SR-80i model and would like for them to install the RS1i drivers, then a driver swap isn't such a bad thing.  
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #9,078 of 65,912
SR80 but better...RS1 for sure or on the cheaper side SR225.

as far as cheesecloth, I asked and Grado won't sent it to you. you have to send them the headphones and they'll replace them for you. $100 for the service (where they would replace/fix anything that needs it) +shipping.

it wasn't worth it for me and I really don't want them to replace my drivers.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #9,079 of 65,912
Quote:

as far as cheesecloth, I asked and Grado won't sent it to you. you have to send them the headphones and they'll replace them for you. $100 for the service (where they would replace/fix anything that needs it) +shipping.

$100 for the service?  I thought it used to be about $35.00 for the lower models and $45.00 for the SR-325.  Or, that's what I paid for the 325 a few years back.  I can see where the higher models cost more.  I thought I read where the GS-1000 was in the range of $150 for the repair service.

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #9,080 of 65,912
Quote:
Who has sent their Grados in to have the cheese cloth type stuff replaced? How ratty did you let it get before you decided to send them in? Mine are starting to fray around the edges a bit, if it comes undone much more I would like to have them fixed.

I saw what jay attempted with the dryer sheets, I'd like something a bit more official than that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just take it off.

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #9,081 of 65,912
my ms2's were missing the stock, cloth and driver grill, the previous owner had done away with both
and instead just had metal mesh as the driver grill
well, i emailed grado, grado, contact alessandro, who never returned my email
hence the "johnny cap" mod was born (kvtaco17 owns the rights!)
"it keeps the bad stuff from coming in, lets the good stuff out"

works really well, right now the mesh/dryer cloth is held in place just by the cushions
i'm maybe going to hot glue, silicon , mounting putty, something to make it more permanent
and look better

after hearing the $100 grado price, i said "no thank you" lol

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #9,082 of 65,912
Quote:
my ms2's were missing the stock, cloth and driver grill, the previous owner had done away with both
and instead just had metal mesh as the driver grill
well, i emailed grado, grado, contact alessandro, who never returned my email
hence the "johnny cap" mod was born (kvtaco17 owns the rights!)
"it keeps the bad stuff from coming in, lets the good stuff out"

works really well, right now the mesh/dryer cloth is held in place just by the cushions
i'm maybe going to hot glue, silicon , mounting putty, something to make it more permanent
and look better

after hearing the $100 grado price, i said "no thank you" lol

I do what I can lol

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #9,083 of 65,912
Quote:

$100 for the service?  I thought it used to be about $35.00 for the lower models and $45.00 for the SR-325.  Or, that's what I paid for the 325 a few years back.  I can see where the higher models cost more.  I thought I read where the GS-1000 was in the range of $150 for the repair service.

I understand the $100 price is for the de-glueing process required for the RS. The SR remain $35-$45 to repair.

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #9,084 of 65,912
Quote:

Yeah, I keep debating upgrading my 225's for the RS1, but a $500 difference is pretty significant and I've been pleased with them so far.

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #9,085 of 65,912
Quote:

Yes.  I'm aware of their oven.  However, we've discussed how easy the process is to just peel the glue away.  Another person indicated they used some sharp tool like a dental instrument.  It was basically quite simple to do.  I've built, modified and recabled plenty of headphones.  I don't expect this one to be anything really out of the ordinary.

Thanks though, for chiming in.  I appreciate it.

Sounds like you know what you are doing! 
beerchug.gif

Let us know how it goes and what works best!
Also what you decide to use to glue the drivers back in. 
It would be useful to know what Grado uses to adhere the RS drivers to the cups. I understand it is a different adhesive than used for the drivers and cups in the SRs.

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #9,086 of 65,912
I agree with aje, my motto is, if it ain't broken, don't fix it, call me crazy but if I'd send my headphones for repair, I wouldn't want them to replace my drivers, even if the swap is made by Grado themselves. The reason is that i have bought all of my Grados because i liked the way they sound as they are, need I say more?.

Some of you may already know this, but Joseph Grado himself is offering an overhaul for his famous HP1000, at around $1300, if not more, it's far from what I consider afordable, so, needless to say that as much respect as I have for him, they're is no way I'm sending Joe my precious HP1000. First, as I stated above, i like the way they sound as they are, second, i find the cost, prohibitive, third, they might get dammage, or lost in the mail, and fourth, Joe is an elderly person, and works at it own pace, so for some it has taken months to get their headphones back. Finally, and I really don't like to think about this, and I hope that he's going to be with us for many more years, he is 90 so, anything can happend.

Regarding ferday's post, I'm sorry to hear that you can't easily demo Grados  because I also live in Canada, and I have access to any Grado model I want. To  answer your SR80i upgrade question, think that the SR225i, and the RS1i, would be my two suggestions at different price points as an upgrade to the 80i. I know that you like the SR80i's sound signature, I do too,, I think that they're great headphones, especially at their low price, but if you have the chance, try to demo the PS500 or the GS/PS1000, you might end up preferring one of them's sound signature, I know I do.

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #9,087 of 65,912
Whoa Stacker, that is a serious collection of high-end Grado that you have!

Would you care to elaborate a bit about the GS1000?  I am a little torn between them and the RS-1, which I understand maintains much of the Grado 'sound'.

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #9,089 of 65,912
Quote:
Do grados or alessandros ever go on sale? Is it worth waiting for example for black friday to get something from official alessandro site?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Grados usually sell at fixed price but every once in a while an approved Grado retailer has a "store-wide" sale that therefore includes Grado products. IME someone usually mentions a sale either in this thread or in whatever current "deals" thread that hasn't been shut down for abuse.

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #9,090 of 65,912
I

Regarding ferday's post, I'm sorry to hear that you can't easily demo Grados  because I also live in Canada, and I have access to any Grado model I want. To  answer your SR80i upgrade question, think that the SR225i, and the RS1i, would be my two suggestions at different price points as an upgrade to the 80i. I know that you like the SR80i's sound signature, I do too,, I think that they're great headphones, especially at their low price, but if you have the chance, try to demo the PS500 or the GS/PS1000, you might end up preferring one of them's sound signature, I know I do.

Thanks! I make it to Montreal a few times a year so maybe ill check some out, what's a good shop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back