Grado Fan Club!
Sep 1, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #9,063 of 65,693
Quote:
The plastic crescent that holds the cups split near the metal post. I've super glued it, but it's just a matter of time.

That's the gimbal!
Grado will send you a new gimbal for free if you email them (info@gradolabs.com).
Just tell them your gimbal broke.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #9,065 of 65,693
Quote:
personally I don't like metal with the PS500, the bass is too much and tge guitars can sound very scooped especially with more modern metal where the recording is already scooped. the RS1 and AD2KX (both can be found for less than $500 used) and even SR80 all sound better to me than the PS500 with metal. I had the 225 and I would choose it with the tape mod over the PS500. now for hip hop I'd choose the PS500.

interesting, thanks...

so i have a question for the higher end grado users....if i want the same "overall sound" as the SR80i's but way more refined, which grado should i be demoing?  i just adore the tone and close in feel for a lot of music, but the detail/clarity just isn't quite up to par (makes sense at the price point)

it's hard to find grados in canada to demo!   should i be looking ps500, rs1/2, GS, MS, something else?  would the 325's be far superior to the 80's?

thanks guys

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #9,066 of 65,693
Quote:

interesting, thanks...

so i have a question for the higher end grado users....if i want the same "overall sound" as the SR80i's but way more refined, which grado should i be demoing?  i just adore the tone and close in feel for a lot of music, but the detail/clarity just isn't quite up to par (makes sense at the price point)

it's hard to find grados in canada to demo!   should i be looking ps500, rs1/2, GS, MS, something else?  would the 325's be far superior to the 80's?

thanks guys

RS1 for sure!

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #9,068 of 65,693
Quote:
Yes, I would also strongly suggest getting an RS1. With the right amp and a good source you can set for life.
My "budget" choice would be the MS2.

while the 80 is a grado i haven't heard, i do have the ms2 , and it is outstanding !!
 the rs1 is at the top of my wish list of those "to hear"

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #9,069 of 65,693
while the 80 is a grado i haven't heard, i do have the ms2 , and it is outstanding !!
 the rs1 is at the top of my wish list of those "to hear"

I've been saving for the LCD2, but after a month with the sr80 and a year with my he400, I'm thinking my LCD $ might go to a grado so budget shouldn't be much of a concern...

What about the gs1000, there's a demo model for 50% off...anyone tried them?

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #9,070 of 65,693
Quote:
I've been saving for the LCD2, but after a month with the sr80 and a year with my he400, I'm thinking my LCD $ might go to a grado so budget shouldn't be much of a concern...

What about the gs1000, there's a demo model for 50% off...anyone tried them?

the ps500 is as high as i've gone, and i've been told its more on the warm side , bottom end wise, my ms2 has more of the traditional grado sound than the 500,

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #9,071 of 65,693
Quote:

interesting, thanks...

thanks guys

I've never heard a Grado model higher in price than the SR325is, but I do own both the 80 and the 325, and I can tell you that the 325 is fuller sounding than the 80 in the bass and mid-range, and the vocals are beautiful. I also find that the 325's benefit very much from the right amp/dac. Also the 80 (IMO) is crystal clear, and has super detail, but yes the 325 has a more full bodied sound.  but the 80 is an awesome headphone, regardless of it's price/ranking. I also owned the MS2i, which for me had too much of a mid bass for tastes, I felt that it didn't sound Grado enough for me, just my experience with all three of these headphones.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #9,072 of 65,693
My RS1i will be here tomorrow.  I took a day of vacation -- no, not to wait on the postman, but to do other work.  Getting the RS1i is just a nice bonus for the day.  I have to install a new cable, then give it a go.  I really hope it lives up to it's ranking in the food chain.  I had the GS1000 for a few days, and really missed the sound and refinement when I no longer had it.  Then again, I've been using the MS1i for the past few days (unmodified) and I'm pretty impressed with hit.

I've had basically a 2-year sabbatical from the Grado and Magnum sound.  However, I turned back to Grado / Magnum because I didn't like being limited to amplifiers that are needed to drive less efficient headphones.  Sure, there might have been other headphones that have more capabilities or ability to "wow" you.  However, I found I was getting distracted by the wow factor and losing my connection to the music.  In the end, the only thing that matters is the music.  Headphones, amps, DACs ... they're all just material things.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #9,073 of 65,693
Quote:
  I have to install a new cable, then give it a go.  

That's not easy to DIY with the RS1/2. Most send the RS1/2 back to Grado to rewire.
They will rewire with any cable you send with the cans, not just Grado cables.
Grado use a special process (slow heat in an oven?) to gently heat the glue that adheres the drivers to the cups.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #9,074 of 65,693
Quote:
That's not easy to DIY with the RS1/2. Most send the RS1/2 back to Grado to rewire.
They will rewire with any cable you send with the cans, not just Grado cables.
Grado use a special process (slow heat in an oven?) to gently heat the glue that adheres the drivers to the cups.

Yes.  I'm aware of their oven.  However, we've discussed how easy the process is to just peel the glue away.  Another person indicated they used some sharp tool like a dental instrument.  It was basically quite simple to do.  I've built, modified and recabled plenty of headphones.  I don't expect this one to be anything really out of the ordinary.

Thanks though, for chiming in.  I appreciate it.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #9,075 of 65,693
Who has sent their Grados in to have the cheese cloth type stuff replaced? How ratty did you let it get before you decided to send them in? Mine are starting to fray around the edges a bit, if it comes undone much more I would like to have them fixed.

I saw what jay attempted with the dryer sheets, I'd like something a bit more official than that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back