Grado Fan Club!
May 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #7,381 of 66,284
Quote:
as a former addiction counselor, I'd say that could be the sign of a problem, I also do the same thing

Sad but true. Grado is certainly not to blame though.

May 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #7,383 of 66,284
Quote:

I think the RS1 (or PS500) is better for a wider variety of music, if you're set on a high end grado specifically. Particularly the PS500 as it isn't as treble happy - although the bass might be a bit much for some.

I haven't heard the GS-1000s, but I've got RS-1s and PS-500s on loan, and I've listened to the PS-1000s several times with the same gear (24-Bit AIFF from a Macbook Pro with an Audioquest Dragonfly) 
The RS1s and PS500s are really quite similar. The PS500s has a much more extended bass with more slam, and perhaps a smoother treble. But the "resolving power" is excellent on both, and there have been times I forgot which one I was wearing. 
The PS1000s still have a strong family resemblance. Very powerful bass--haven't compared them to the PS500s yet--with lots of slam and extension. The different cup/pad configuration makes for a different presentation. It's a little more "distant"--Row F instead of up on the stage--and there seems to be more "air." It doesn't strike me as being 'better" so much as "different." The PS1000s are very heavy, although they were comfortable for me, your mileage may vary. I could be very happy with either of these.
Both of the PS500s and the RS1is work beautifully with a wide variety of material, from Hendrix to Arvo Part, Diana Krall to Wilco. Listening to Cowboy Junkies right now. 

I think that these two models represent a kind of second value sweet spot in the line, getting a lot of the sound of the $1,000+ headphones for closer to half that.
Good luck and if you have any interest I can listen to the PS1000s at more length.

May 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #7,384 of 66,284
Quote:
as a former addiction counselor, I'd say that could be the sign of a problem, I also do the same thing

Agreed-A lot of people on this site drop $1,ooo like it's confetti...coming from someone with a $200 set of Grados....for many of us solidly in the middle class-$400 is a good sum of money.

May 21, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #7,385 of 66,284
Quote:
Agreed-A lot of people on this site drop $1,ooo like it's confetti...coming from someone with a $200 set of Grados....for many of us solidly in the middle class-$400 is a good sum of money.

i was poking a little fun, but i do look and wonder at things i can never afford, and i'll set a budget, and go a few dollars over
its fun, fantasy, like spending the lottery jackpot you never win

i swear this is true, i was telling my wife today how some folks on here must be crazy, or have so much money that it isn't an issue
i told here if i have bought a $1000 set of phones she should whack me upside the head ! lol

May 21, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #7,386 of 66,284
Quote:
i was poking a little fun, but i do look and wonder at things i can never afford, and i'll set a budget, and go a few dollars over

i swear this is true, i was telling my wife today how some folks on here must be crazy, or have so much money that it isn't an issue
i told here if i have bought a $1000 set of phones she should whack me upside the head ! lol

It's all good...I got your original intent. You're right. I'm looking at Sonos and have been researching DACS. Someone on this sight gave me some advice on upgrading the DAC. This dude dropped something like 7K on a DAC....to stream music!!!  So, $350 for a Sonos sreaming product to connect to your stereo. And, then 7 grand on a DAC.......I couldn't even fathom that.

May 22, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #7,387 of 66,284
Quote:

I haven't heard the GS-1000s, but I've got RS-1s and PS-500s on loan, and I've listened to the PS-1000s several times with the same gear (24-Bit AIFF from a Macbook Pro with an Audioquest Dragonfly) 
The RS1s and PS500s are really quite similar. The PS500s has a much more extended bass with more slam, and perhaps a smoother treble. But the "resolving power" is excellent on both, and there have been times I forgot which one I was wearing. 
The PS1000s still have a strong family resemblance. Very powerful bass--haven't compared them to the PS500s yet--with lots of slam and extension. The different cup/pad configuration makes for a different presentation. It's a little more "distant"--Row F instead of up on the stage--and there seems to be more "air." It doesn't strike me as being 'better" so much as "different." The PS1000s are very heavy, although they were comfortable for me, your mileage may vary. I could be very happy with either of these.
Both of the PS500s and the RS1is work beautifully with a wide variety of material, from Hendrix to Arvo Part, Diana Krall to Wilco. Listening to Cowboy Junkies right now. 

I think that these two models represent a kind of second value sweet spot in the line, getting a lot of the sound of the $1,000+ headphones for closer to half that.
Good luck and if you have any interest I can listen to the PS1000s at more length.

I agree with most of what you've said, exept for the part about the RS1i and the PS500 being ''really quite similar'', in my opinion, they sound VERY different, the PS500's sound is bass/lower midrange oriented, while RS1i's sound is more midrange/treble oriented. In fact, i think that the only headphones who's sound signature is further removed from that of the PS500, are the SR325i.

Quote:

That's right, sometimes people seem to forget that not everyone can afford pricey headphones. But that's what's nice about Grados, you don't have to spend a lot, to get the lion's share of the top models.

Quote:

For some people, $1000 represent a pair of headphones, for others, that same $1000 equates to a $100 pair of headphones, plus rent and grocery for a month.

Even though some have much more expensive stuff  than i have, i try to stay 'grounded', and remember that i'm VERY lucky to be able to afford all the wonderful headphones that i have, or any other nice tings that i own, for that matter.

May 22, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #7,388 of 66,284
Quote:

If your budjet is $600, why would you be looking at $1000 headphones
rolleyes.gif

I don't believe I mentioned my budget. I am just gonna leave this where it is.

May 22, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #7,389 of 66,284
Quote:
 if i have bought a $1000 set of phones she should whack me upside the head ! lol

I have a handful of phones at a variety of different price points, and one of the great things about this hobby is that you can find something to truly enjoy at ANY entry point. I feel very fortunate to have a couple of flagship-type phones in the Grado GS1ks and the Beyer T1s, but if I couldn't swing that I could very happily live with something like my Beyer 1350s ($199 currently) or even my Grado SR80s ($99). I dont' even REALLY need an amp or DAC with either phone, so for very little money I could have very satisfying fidelity for years to come. In fact, part of the reason why I have a little disposable cash is because I'm single. I would gladly trade my toys in to have had a marriage that was still going strong as opposed to being divorced, in all honesty. But for now I have my dogs and my music (and podcasts...love my podcasts!) to serve as the woman in my life haha. 

May 22, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #7,390 of 66,284
Quote:
...In fact, part of the reason why I have a little disposable cash is because I'm single. I would gladly trade my toys in to have had a marriage that was still going strong as opposed to being divorced, in all honesty. But for now I have my dogs and my music (and podcasts...love my podcasts!) to serve as the woman in my life haha. 

You don't owe anyone an explanation, but you are right - its all about priorities. People used to be shocked that I would pay over $1000 for a bike, but I rode my bike to work and my old car had been paid off 8 years ago. You can buy a lot of toys when you don't have a $400/mo car payment for 8 years.

May 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #7,391 of 66,284
I have a handful of phones at a variety of different price points, and one of the great things about this hobby is that you can find something to truly enjoy at ANY entry point. I feel very fortunate to have a couple of flagship-type phones in the Grado GS1ks and the Beyer T1s, but if I couldn't swing that I could very happily live with something like my Beyer 1350s ($199 currently) or even my Grado SR80s ($99). I dont' even REALLY need an amp or DAC with either phone, so for very little money I could have very satisfying fidelity for years to come. In fact, part of the reason why I have a little disposable cash is because I'm single. I would gladly trade my toys in to have had a marriage that was still going strong as opposed to being divorced, in all honesty. But for now I have my dogs and my music (and podcasts...love my podcasts!) to serve as the woman in my life haha. 

It wasn't my intention to say anything is really wrong with someone spending any amount of money on any headphone, or other piece of equipment, if I was single, and had the dough, I'd spend way more than I do, I know I would because I've done it before, and I know there is actual value in some high dollar stuff,
I was speaking for myself at this time , it's about what gives us pleasure, so enjoy, and it's all good !

May 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #7,392 of 66,284
Quote:
You don't owe anyone an explanation, but you are right - its all about priorities. People used to be shocked that I would pay over $1000 for a bike, but I rode my bike to work and my old car had been paid off 8 years ago. You can buy a lot of toys when you don't have a $400/mo car payment for 8 years.

So true! I picked up an "interim" car back in 2009 that I had planned to only really keep about a year, but here we are four years later and the thing still gets me from point A to point B like a champ. No car payment in four years has been great in terms of keeping my financial stress well under control. That must have been great riding that bike to and from work, eh? Get some fresh air and the blood flowing first thing to start the day...sounds like a great way to go! 

May 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #7,393 of 66,284
Quote:
That must have been great riding that bike to and from work, eh? Get some fresh air and the blood flowing first thing to start the day...sounds like a great way to go! 

Absolutely! The ride to and from work was/is the highlight of my day. A little less now that I live less than a mile from the office - I barely get warmed up now. I used to have a 20mi round trip.

May 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #7,394 of 66,284
Quote:
Absolutely! The ride to and from work was/is the highlight of my day. A little less now that I live less than a mile from the office - I barely get warmed up now. I used to have a 20mi round trip.

It's pretty interesting the way people save for this hobby. I'm an avid paddler. A few years ago I became certified to teach kayaking on the Potomac. It was just an extension of a hobby I'm passionate about; a chance to turn newbies onto paddling and a way to finance gear, boats, etc. Now, I'm able to teach beginning kayakers and roll some of that weekend warrior cash into some decent audio equipment. Best part is, my wife doesn't cry foul. I'm totally down with the biking choice.

May 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #7,395 of 66,284
Quote:

Well, I guess you could always take up jogging 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back