Grado Fan Club!
May 20, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #7,366 of 66,285
I use the RA-1 (DC) with my vintage RS-1 along with my PS500 and SR225i with good results. I also found the RA-1 does a good job with the not easy to drive AKG K340 hybrid electret/dynamic phones. In my opinion the RA-1 is a bargain. In addition, I always liked DC power. :wink:

May 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #7,367 of 66,285
Second opinion. I owned one at the same time as a cmoy amp, benchmark dac1 and alo amphora and compared all three.

The RA1 was a tiny bit smoother than the cmoy but was otherwise about the same. It lacked the clarity, soundstage, frequency extension and refinement of the other two amps. In all cases, I was using a gs1000, ps500, magnum v4 other non-grado headphones plus the benchmark dac portion.

I don't see how it can looked at as a bargain at ~400 bucks. I do not recommend it unless you love the wood shell and can find it used for about $100.

May 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #7,368 of 66,285
Quote:

Yep, I picked up a pair a few months ago. At first I felt they were falling short of the PS500s, which are my favorite headphones, but now I consider them about equal. These are the only Grados I've owned that really need a nicer amp to sound their best. That was part of the problem at first was that I didn't realize that. My 500s sound great out of anything...but the GS1ks need quality amplification. They have a larger sound stage than the other Grados I own or have owned (80s, 325s, 500s) and they are absolutely beautiful in person. They're also super light...it's really surprising the first time you take them out of the box. Since they weren't a clear step up from the 500s, my advice would be to go with either the 500s or the RS-1s, unless you can audition the GS1ks prior to purchasing. On the other hand, if you know you like a larger sound stage and a circumaural pad instead of an on-ear, then that might be a good reason to go with the GS1ks. Just know that you'll need something decent in terms of amplification for them to sound their best. 

Well before I saw those reviews on Grado's web site I was pretty much decided on the RS1i, so I guess I will stick with that, or look into the PS500 which everybody seems to like as well or better than the GS1000i.

May 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #7,369 of 66,285
Quote:
Well before I saw those reviews on Grado's web site I was pretty much decided on the RS1i, so I guess I will stick with that, or look into the PS500 which everybody seems to like as well or better than the GS1000i.

The RS-1s are the most venerable Grado headphone and many even consider it the best of the entire line. Do you have anywhere you could audition some of these or no? 

May 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #7,370 of 66,285
Quote:

The RS-1s are the most venerable Grado headphone and many even consider it the best of the entire line. Do you have anywhere you could audition some of these or no? 

Possibly at the next local head-fi get together. I already checked out most of the local stereo shops and they just seem to carry the SR series and that is it.

May 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #7,371 of 66,285
Quote:
Possibly at the next local head-fi get together. I already checked out most of the local stereo shops and they just seem to carry the SR series and that is it.

That would be great if you get the chance to go to a get together of head-fi'ers...otherwise, maybe consider buying from somewhere like Amazon who has a liberal return policy in case you don't care for them. 

May 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #7,373 of 66,285
Quote:
Does the RS1i have a decent sounstage? And how do its mids and low level listening compare to the GS1000i? Thanks.

Decent, yes, big no, at least not compared to the GS1000,  wich i also prefer for low level listening due to their deeper bass extension.

Quote:

I believe that when you get to this level, they're are no better headphones, just different sounding ones, especially the 3 you are reffering too, wich couldn't sound any different from one another.

May 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #7,374 of 66,285
I agree with Stacker. I can't speak for the RS-1 since I haven't spent enough time with it, but I definitely put the GS1ks and PS500s pretty much on par with each other in terms of their overall performance.

May 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #7,375 of 66,285
Quote:
I agree with Stacker. I can't speak for the RS-1 since I haven't spent enough time with it, but I definitely put the GS1ks and PS500s pretty much on par with each other in terms of their overall performance.

Well that's all well and good but there is also the $400 price difference too. When you factor that in it kind of alters the balance a bit.

May 21, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #7,376 of 66,285
Quote:
 Well that's all well and good but there is also the $400 price difference too. When you factor that in it kind of alters the balance a bit.

Yep, sure does

May 21, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #7,377 of 66,285
Quote:

If your budjet is $600, why would you be looking at $1000 headphones
rolleyes.gif

May 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #7,378 of 66,285
If your budjet is $600, why would you be looking at $1000 headphones :rolleyes:

as a former addiction counselor, I'd say that could be the sign of a problem, I also do the same thing

May 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #7,379 of 66,285
I just want to tell all my fellow Grado people how glad I am that this thread doesn't deteriorate into the type of mess that seems to derail so many other threads. Reading through some of the other conversations going on in the other threads just leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. I can't fathom why some people seem to turn a hobby into something that results in such defensiveness and rude behavior. 

This place can really be a minefield sometimes! I guess we Grado fans are just a bit more civilized haha

May 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #7,380 of 66,285
Quote:
I just want to tell all my fellow Grado people how glad I am that this thread doesn't deteriorate into the type of mess that seems to derail so many other threads. Reading through some of the other conversations going on in the other threads just leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. I can't fathom why some people seem to turn a hobby into something that results in such defensiveness and rude behavior. 

This place can really be a minefield sometimes! I guess we Grado fans are just a bit more civilized haha

we'll just sit in our own corner and play nice together lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back