Grado Fan Club!
May 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #7,353 of 66,252
Anybody here own the GS1000i phones. I don't see any reviews on here but the reviews on Grado's site say it is a fantastic headphone for all types of music. I had decided the Rs1i would be my next step but now I am kind of looking at these.

May 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #7,355 of 66,252
Quote:
I've only heard sr60-sr225.

In my experience with those headphones, they don't handle darker metal genres well.

Especially not the sr80 in question.

I'm confused by your post.
I listen to a lot of varied metal on my 225i and think most metal sounds great.. I don't get it....shoegaze is not a metal genre. Maybe you're refering to bands like Alcest or Deafheaven. Shoegaze to me isn't dark at all. It's all shimmery and pretty. You mentioned doom, sludge, and BM. BM metal is notorious in it's lack of base..doom and sludge of course have downtuned guitars and massive base sound. Maybe you put these genres together becuase they have distorted guitars (as most metal does) and extreme vocals. It doesn't make sense that melodeth and thrash would sound good on Grados, but deathmetal and BM and doom would not.
I kind of get doom as it is so base centric, you might want more base????
For the record, I also listen to plenty of jazz, ambient, classical, folk, etc.

May 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #7,356 of 66,252
Quote:
I bought PSK 1 month ago. It is astonishing good because so far the PSK is the only Headphones that can performs both Metal and Classical music so vividly and full of details.

I know what you mean, and on top of that, just like every Grado, they'll play well out of just about anything. This is important to me since i have 4 (modest) sound systems, 3 of wich are mid to late 70s vintage gear, and i don't want to have to buy an amp for each of them in order to get decent sound.

I just finished listening to Loreena McKennitt's The Visit cd, straight from the headphone output of my vintage 1978 Yamaha CA610II and Yamaha DVD-S1800, DVD/CD player, and i was just transported to another world. This might sound silly, but it's like being in a trans state, and in the end, regardless of the brand, model, or price, being able to achieve this, is all that matters to me.

Quote:
I noticed that every time I see a pair of wooden Grados, the color of the wood varies from dark to light (at least in photoghraphs), but because it is natural they will vary, but I also read that Grado cures their wood, but I'm not sure if it is dyed. 

From what i understand, they try to match the wooden earcups sample as closely as they can, but of course, they're can be a lot of variation from one pair of headphones to the next. I personally think it's part of their charm.

May 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #7,357 of 66,252
Quote:
Anybody here own the GS1000i phones. I don't see any reviews on here but the reviews on Grado's site say it is a fantastic headphone for all types of music. I had decided the Rs1i would be my next step but now I am kind of looking at these.

I've owned the GS1000. I don't think they're great at a wide variety of genres at all. Their treble is very boosted and the mids are pretty recessed so a lot of music that's already mastered a little hot might end up being unenjoyable on them - at least, that was the case with me. I think they have other issues with lack of deep bass but it was the treble issues that gave me the most issues. Their biggest difference over other grados is their wide soundstage and that can be nice for live stuff. and the boosted bass and treble makes them ok for low volume listening, if that's what you do most of the time.

I think the RS1 (or PS500) is better for a wider variety of music, if you're set on a high end grado specifically. Particularly the PS500 as it isn't as treble happy - although the bass might be a bit much for some.

May 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #7,358 of 66,252
Quote:

Yep, I picked up a pair a few months ago. At first I felt they were falling short of the PS500s, which are my favorite headphones, but now I consider them about equal. These are the only Grados I've owned that really need a nicer amp to sound their best. That was part of the problem at first was that I didn't realize that. My 500s sound great out of anything...but the GS1ks need quality amplification. They have a larger sound stage than the other Grados I own or have owned (80s, 325s, 500s) and they are absolutely beautiful in person. They're also super light...it's really surprising the first time you take them out of the box. Since they weren't a clear step up from the 500s, my advice would be to go with either the 500s or the RS-1s, unless you can audition the GS1ks prior to purchasing. On the other hand, if you know you like a larger sound stage and a circumaural pad instead of an on-ear, then that might be a good reason to go with the GS1ks. Just know that you'll need something decent in terms of amplification for them to sound their best. 

May 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #7,359 of 66,252
Quote:
STACKER 45 owns a pair of GS1000's, he will be able to give you a good expression of his experiences with them.

I do own the GS1000, but HPiper is inquiring about the GS1000i, wich i have heard, and compare to my non ''i'' first gen GS1K, and in my opinion, the only thing that the older GS1k does ''better'' or shoud i say different from the new ones is they have a slightly wider soundstage.

I think that the current GS1ki's sound signature is a bit closer to that of the PS1K, and compared to the RS1i, i'd say that the GS1ki have better bass and treble extension, and a wider airyer soundstage, the mids, have been brought a little closer compare to the old GS1k, but not as much as the RS1i's.

I hope this helps.

May 20, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #7,360 of 66,252
Quote:
Sometimes I think I must absolutely be the 'odd man out' cause I think Grados ARE comfortable and I LIKE to listen to classical on my 225i's, I must be living in another dimension from everybody else.

+0.5 ... +1 for the classical comment (my RS2i are also my go-to phones for classical, strings in particular, although I was reminded this weekend just how bright they are, compared to the real thing, after listening to a string quartet on Saturday). 

But -1/2 for comfort... sorry, but even as a Grado fanboy, I can't stand the way they feel on my head after an hour or so.

May 20, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #7,361 of 66,252
Quote:

Maybe he really means Alice AND chains, who knows, maybe it's a duet
wink.gif

Burned, yet again, by Mac OS auto-correction 
rolleyes.gif

May 20, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #7,362 of 66,252
I own the GS1000i, I think the V shaped soundstage, need for amp and need for long burn-in makes them more finnicky than other Grados

I think the bottom review isn't bad and better than most I've seen:

http://yklee118.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/the-grado-gs1000i-true-reference.html

Key points for me are that the V shape makes it easier to listen at low levels, the ultra smooth sounds and sheer range make a lot of junk sound amazing, not for dark neutral sennheiser listeners. I prefer the GS1000i's since they not only have the powerful Grado live concert experience, but they're not adjusted for being more palatable or balanced >=] an antique wooden violin isn't as sonically perfect as a metal or digitally created sound but has a live feeling you can't get from others.

The build quality is crazy and no two are the same like all classic Grados of course ^_^

Thanks for listening to my 2 cents

May 20, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #7,363 of 66,252
Quote:
I own the GS1000i, I think the V shaped soundstage, need for amp and need for long burn-in makes them more finnicky than other Grados

I think the bottom review isn't bad and better than most I've seen:

http://yklee118.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/the-grado-gs1000i-true-reference.html

Key points for me are that the V shape makes it easier to listen at low levels, the ultra smooth sounds and sheer range make a lot of junk sound amazing, not for dark neutral sennheiser listeners. I prefer the GS1000i's since they not only have the powerful Grado live concert experience, but they're not adjusted for being more palatable or balanced >=] an antique wooden violin isn't as sonically perfect as a metal or digitally created sound but has a live feeling you can't get from others.

The build quality is crazy and no two are the same like all classic Grados of course ^_^

Thanks for listening to my 2 cents

That's an interesting review...thanks for posting. It actually mirrors my own experience with these phones, cause at first I felt the PS500s were clearly better. That gap narrowed with more hours put on the phones, so maybe there is in fact a break in effect that came into play. I haven't experienced much of this "nasal" quality that he described, but other than that I'd say his review is spot on. We both reached the same conclusion, that this headphone is a keeper for life, for sure. 

May 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #7,364 of 66,252
I can wear my sr60 with radio shack pads for hours. They're light, gentle, and I got used to the clamping force.

So has anyone tried dampening the back of lower end grados with felt? I'm considering it myself based on how the pioneer se-a1000 sounds.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back