Grado Fan Club!
May 24, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #53,041 of 65,796
• I prefer RS1x to the Hemp overall: detail, dynamics, imaging. I own both RS1x and Hemp.
• Hemp is a musically genuine and fun headphone without glaring weaknesses. There are recordings (CD) where I prefer Hemp to RS1x - I do not use equalisation.
• If you can own both, own both. Each is rewarding in its own way and each does not displace the other.
The Hemps are very strange headphone. They have a small sound stage, low on details, sometimes they are sibilant, super uncomfortable, bad layering, no separation, cheap build quality, stupidly thick cable and etc... but some how they became my daily headphone. I can't explain why. Technically they are no more than a $100 headphone. My first pair of Hemps cracked the next day and I sent them back and never planed to buy them again. But then I couldn't sleep and had to purchase them again. Then sold them. And now I have a 3rd pair. I decided no matter what do not sell them again.
There is some magic in Hemps.

May 24, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #53,042 of 65,796
Do you prefer RS1x over Hemps or Hemps are still a good choice? I don't know if it's worth to upgrade for me from Hemps to RS1x.
I think the answer to both your questions is yes 😁. The Hemps are absolutely great. The RS1x is arguably a notch better.

May 24, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #53,043 of 65,796
The Hemps are very strange headphone. They have a small sound stage, low on details, sometimes they are sibilant, super uncomfortable, bad layering, no separation, cheap build quality, stupidly thick cable and etc... but some how they became my daily headphone. I can't explain why. Technically they are no more than a $100 headphone. My first pair of Hemps cracked the next day and I sent them back and never planed to buy them again. But then I couldn't sleep and had to purchase them again. Then sold them. And now I have a 3rd pair. I decided no matter what do not sell them again.
I have experienced none of the sonic attributes that you mention at the start 🤷🏻‍♂️. I had a split cup and Grado replaced it for me as quickly as possible 👍.

May 24, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #53,044 of 65,796
• I prefer RS1x to the Hemp overall: detail, dynamics, imaging. I own both RS1x and Hemp.
• Hemp is a musically genuine and fun headphone without glaring weaknesses. There are recordings (CD) where I prefer Hemp to RS1x - I do not use equalisation.
• If you can own both, own both. Each is rewarding in its own way and each does not displace the other.

Easily agree on this. RS1x indeed more mature headphone overall.

There is something about really intimate vocal and bass punch on Hemp that make it special though.

May 24, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #53,045 of 65,796
I have experienced none of the sonic attributes that you mention at the start 🤷🏻‍♂️. I had a split cup and Grado replaced it for me as quickly as possible 👍.
I've got my pair directly from Grado's website. They are not fake for sure. I noticed that my first Hemps were much lighter color. The latest revisions of Hemp are darker.

May 24, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #53,046 of 65,796

Attachments

• C695EE12-924C-4750-8653-C563171D3B75.jpeg
    C695EE12-924C-4750-8653-C563171D3B75.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
May 24, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #53,047 of 65,796
May 24, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #53,048 of 65,796
They also must keep you from falling asleep at night.

Had you time with any of them to break them in? “In my opinion” for the Hemp a minimum 50 hours but they are more evolved as you hit and surpass 100 hours. My RS1x took well over twice as long to really sound on target for me.

“Don’t sell” the Hemp!

May 24, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #53,049 of 65,796
They also must keep you from falling asleep at night.

Had you time with any of them to break them in? “In my opinion” for the Hemp a minimum 50 hours but they are more evolved as you hit and surpass 100 hours. My RS1x took well over twice as long to really sound on target for me.

“Don’t sell” the Hemp!
The were on my burning in rig for at least 100hrs.

I am thinking to try one of ZMF Grado pads.

May 24, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #53,050 of 65,796
The were on my burning in rig for at least 100hrs.

I am thinking to try one of ZMF Grado pads.
I would be curious as to your impressions if you do eventually buy the Z pads.

PS the most popular headphone model of all time, Sennheiser HD414, the first commercially produced open air design. They made quite a splash.

Attachments

• A9E1B3D9-2305-427A-A1F9-EF74B345D3FB.jpeg
    A9E1B3D9-2305-427A-A1F9-EF74B345D3FB.jpeg
    743.4 KB · Views: 0
May 24, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #53,051 of 65,796
I was finally able to find one that wasn't crazy priced. The box needed a little bit of work but with some feed and wax and wood glue it's in pretty decent shape. It's a very thoughtful design. The box reminds me a lot of Booker's Bourbon for which I have an affinity (when I can find it and can spare c-note to waste on a bottle of hooch). The travel pouch actually is pretty similar to what I came up with on the drawing table as my cable pouch design: boldly embroidered heavyweight canvas with a zipper top. They used a nice waxed canvas and a YKK zipper, I chose to add a nice plaid-patterned liner and a less costly zipper as heavy duty YKKs cost tons you have to buy hundreds of something, but maybe they'll make it on the next run. I think we were both inspired by Filson (or perhaps Frost River or Orvis).

The wood cups are still in great shape as they are sealed. I was able to check out the venting on the back. Someone was also thoughtful enough to increase the cable length to ~8 feet on these.

Anyway, very pleased to have finally found a copy of my most desired custom run.
Photos, please?

May 24, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #53,052 of 65,796
So, my honeymoon period of the new Alessandro PRO (tuned rs1x) comes to an end.

For critical listening these had about 150h of play time and system used: AK sr25 ->Mojo 2 as dac/pre -> Cayin C9 as power amp, tube mode.

I never heard the original rs1x but I have had the previous gen A-PRO (e-drivers) and still have GH1, RS1 button and sr225x. I also used to have GH2, PS500 (first gen), GS3000e, sr325x, GS1000i and Hemp.

In short, I find that this Grado is trying (too) hard…not to sound like a Grado. I have iem which are better if I want to go for a more technical & balanced sound. Considering my experiences with Hemp and sr225x I find the low end seriously lacking (yes, it seems better under control but imo some fun is removed).

I am always very curious what drops out of the Grado 🎩 but this is the first time I made up my mind so fast so I am returning these.

Obviously YMMV and it is not really clear how ‘tuned’ these Alessandro G are.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #53,054 of 65,796

Users who are viewing this thread

Back