Grado Fan Club!
May 22, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #53,011 of 65,860
Did you buy it here on head-fi? It seems someone sold you a defective unit :frowning2:

As for the new price, you can buy it at most for 2000EUR.

It's difficult to be 100% sure that it was a defective and not just some circumstances ..
I bought it here on Head-Fi, but I could rather easily fix it up, though I had to pull out the driver from the can and reposition correctly the cable.. And I think I pulled the magnet and reposition it deeply in the driver.
As now this unit seems to be very promising for comfort and sound quality (though ultra low frequencies are missing), I don't want to rethink about this issue... and just enjoy and see if it will be as complementary as I was dreaming of for a few months.

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #53,012 of 65,860
A couple of random thoughts.

I was yesterday the whole day in München at the High end show. I listened to every headphone there. The new ZMF, T+A Sol P, Abyss Diana TC, Spirit Torino (almost all of them), HE1000Se, Susvara, 1266 TC, the new Stax, the Raal SR1a, Final D8000 you name it.

The first thing I noticed the almost all "systems" were severly sub-optimal on the source side. Even the best systems (Feliks Envy) was fronted with a Rose audio player (which is kinda OK in my book). Lot of them were driven with portable devices.

Maybe that's the reason that I found only two "system" which I thought was on the level on the sound quality of what I am having at home. One was the new Stax (with a the big Stax amp and don't know what kind of source) and Raal togehter with the new Raal tube amp. The latter was the star for me.

I have a system which is head over heels compared to most of the head-fi systems I see here. Maybe because I am coming of tens of years of two channel speaker audio. I am not saying that I am a source first guy. I think everything matters and different components can screw up the sound in very different ways. So, it's always a chain. I don't name here everything, but my DAC is the Aries Cerat Heléne, that goes into the Trafomatic Head 2 as a preamp which drives the Enleum 23R. There are still other elements in the system (cabling, power management, resonance controll) but the thing is, all this electronics are driving either a HEMP or a GS3000e. Absolutly insane for many, because the HEMP is sooo very effective, why use anything more then a Dragonfly Red. It will drive it loud enough.

True. But let me repeat my self. My system with the HEMP on it's end rivalled or bested headphone systems were the headphones were several thousand EUR worth. Actually almost every one of them.

I have nothing to gain with saying this and I can accept when something is better (that's why I will give the Raal a second listen). It was just the conclusion of the day.

The other being - what I am always saying - do not underestimate the scaling capacity of a Grado. It's enorm.

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #53,014 of 65,860
Grado cables are fun! :beerchug:

SR225 (Woodied) & SR225 (SMC).jpg
SR225 Woodied (1).jpg
Vali 2+ & Tung Sol 6BZ8 & Grados SR225 (1).jpg
DV 336SE & SR225 (Woodied) & 6BC8 (2).jpg

May 23, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #53,015 of 65,860
May 23, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #53,016 of 65,860
May 23, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #53,017 of 65,860
Someone beat me to this one. Sigh. Still trying to get a RA-1 at a reasonable price.........
There is one for sale on Canuck Audio Mart, page 2 for $300 Canadian which converts roughly to about $234 US. With all original packaging and documentation. It’s been in the sales ads for 28 days so you may even try and bargain for a few bucks off if he’s a bit anxious, waiting for a buyer.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...reference-ra-1-battery-powered-headphone-amp/

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #53,018 of 65,860
Someone beat me to this one. Sigh. Still trying to get a RA-1 at a reasonable price.........
I was tempted, but only to US

May 23, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #53,020 of 65,860
Still nothing from the seller on Reverb? :frowning2:
No, and Reverb support team is on it since Friday. I guess if seller doesn't respond to them - they would just issue a full refund.
I would much rather have the RA-1 than refund, but at this point I doubt this seller would respond to anyone, let alone ship anything!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back