Grado Fan Club!
May 20, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #52,983 of 65,692
Looking great. Do the BA pads change the sound for the better, or is it a more comfort thing? Considering a similar set up at the moment. Found out my local retailer has a new GH2 in stock, but it's a bit pricey and considering the newer rs1x is basically the same cost and all the good reviews the newer X drivers are getting the decision is difficult to make. Hemps sounded pretty good too at a much lower price.
I'd go for the GH2 if you have a shot at one. Not because its better, just harder to find. The RS1x will be around for years.

May 20, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #52,984 of 65,692
Looking great. Do the BA pads change the sound for the better, or is it a more comfort thing? Considering a similar set up at the moment. Found out my local retailer has a new GH2 in stock, but it's a bit pricey and considering the newer rs1x is basically the same cost and all the good reviews the newer X drivers are getting the decision is difficult to make. Hemps sounded pretty good too at a much lower price.
I found the original pads hurt my ears. And I didn't care for the knock off G-cush that I had. I find the BA pads super comfortable and like the sound very much. Haven't used any other pads in years.

May 20, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #52,985 of 65,692
I found the original pads hurt my ears. And I didn't care for the knock off G-cush that I had. I find the BA pads super comfortable and like the sound very much. Haven't used any other pads in years.
You had me intrigued with the BA pads...until I saw that they were $145. 😳😳😳

May 20, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #52,986 of 65,692
image.jpg

May 20, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #52,987 of 65,692
You had me intrigued with the BA pads...until I saw that they were $145. 😳😳😳
Not cheap. When I bought mine, they were about $220.00, landed in Canada. I hummed and hawed for months before taking the plunge. While I have made MANY ill advised purchases in the headphone world, these were a winner, for me.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #52,988 of 65,692
I'd go for the GH2 if you have a shot at one. Not because its better, just harder to find. The RS1x will be around for years.
I prefer "solid wood" over the epoxy composite of the newer models.

May 21, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #52,991 of 65,692
So finally I just joined the Grado fan Club ....

I can't say much about it, though I had some surprises and a rather difficult starting experience !!!!

When I received the headphone, I had a serious impaired sound on the left driver, I had to open the left can and see what is happening with the cable (as there was some real issue when pushing the cable inside the can.

I noticed that the driver is not glued to the wood, so it was much easier than expected to open it and take it off.
I could fix the cable issue and even a probable magnet issue ???? I had to psh deeper the magnet too => then every thing went really fine.

The main surprise is that this Grado really needs a lot of power as soon as we want to apply some Parametric EQ (we have to lower by -8db the pre amp to avoid any distortion before adjustments).

I tried different way (with Hiby R6pro, Fiio M11, Fiio M17, SMSL SU-9+THX 887) and I can only really use the FIIO M17 (SQ is clearly improved in DC enhanced mode) or at best, it seems to be with with the SMSL SU-9 + THX 887.
As expected, It's really comfortable to keep the Headphone on my ears.
Probably I will change the 6.35mm plug for a balanced 4.4mm plus (as it seems really easy to do)

There is, of course, a real lack of sub low frequencies (20 to 80hz) compared to my HEDDPHONE One, DCA Stealth or my IEM Vision Ears EXT.... So, clearly, this headphone won't suit with some "electronic" impacts (ultra low frequency) which can be like real fast kicks in the throat with some tracks like with Tom Morello (Battle Sirens) or some ultra deep rumble like with Max Richter (Cradle to the Grave),.... This is not a big deal for me, as I expected it when I bought this Grado GS3000E, and because such type of music is a very small percentage of my more or less 40.000 tracks on my NAS or what I listen from Qobuz.

As I said, it's less ten 20 hours I use it, and I will need some few months before enjoying fully like any of my actual IEM or Headphone.
But, though I had to fix some issues with the cable and magnet, I still think this Grado GS3000E will find a nice place on my music station between the ultra powerful and heavy Heddphone One and the perfect to travel or work at office but closed headphone DCA Stealth...

IMG_3739 NW666 WebSize.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #52,992 of 65,692
So finally I just joined the Grado fan Club ....

I can't say much about it, though I had some surprises and a rather difficult starting experience !!!!

When I received the headphone, I had a serious impaired sound on the left driver, I had to open the left can and see what is happening with the cable (as there was some real issue when pushing the cable inside the can.

I noticed that the driver is not glued to the wood, so it was much easier than expected to open it and take it off.
I could fix the cable issue and even a probable magnet issue ???? I had to psh deeper the magnet too => then every thing went really fine.

The main surprise is that this Grado really needs a lot of power as soon as we want to apply some Parametric EQ (we have to lower by -8db the pre amp to avoid any distortion before adjustments).

I tried different way (with Hiby R6pro, Fiio M11, Fiio M17, SMSL SU-9+THX 887) and I can only really use the FIIO M17 (SQ is clearly improved in DC enhanced mode) or at best, it seems to be with with the SMSL SU-9 + THX 887.
As expected, It's really comfortable to keep the Headphone on my ears.
Probably I will change the 6.35mm plug for a balanced 4.4mm plus (as it seems really easy to do)

There is, of course, a real lack of sub low frequencies (20 to 80hz) compared to my HEDDPHONE One, DCA Stealth or my IEM Vision Ears EXT.... So, clearly, this headphone won't suit with some "electronic" impacts (ultra low frequency) which can be like real fast kicks in the throat with some tracks like with Tom Morello (Battle Sirens) or some ultra deep rumble like with Max Richter (Cradle to the Grave),.... This is not a big deal for me, as I expected it when I bought this Grado GS3000E, and because such type of music is a very small percentage of my more or less 40.000 tracks on my NAS or what I listen from Qobuz.

As I said, it's less ten 20 hours I use it, and I will need some few months before enjoying fully like any of my actual IEM or Headphone.
But, though I had to fix some issues with the cable and magnet, I still think this Grado GS3000E will find a nice place on my music station between the ultra powerful and heavy Heddphone One and the perfect to travel or work at office but closed headphone DCA Stealth...

IMG_3739 NW666 WebSize.jpg
Did you buy them new? If so, for that kind of money, I would be looking for a replacement.

May 21, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #52,993 of 65,692
Did you buy them new? If so, for that kind of money, I would be looking for a replacement.
No I wanted to buy it in Europe .. so I bought a used GS300e for 1400€ (new one are sold 2390€) In US used one seems to be more or less 1000 $, which is really cheaper than in Europe.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #52,994 of 65,692
No I wanted to buy it in Europe .. so I bought a used GS300e for 1400€ (new one are sold 2390€) In US used one seems to be more or less 1000 $, which is really cheaper than in Europe.
That's too bad. Hopefully you get it running 100%. I know that in Canada they are about $2,500.00. Beautiful headphone though.

May 21, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #52,995 of 65,692
Hey man, is that your new RS1x ?

Indeed. Got them a a couple weeks ago.

How do you like them ?

I dont wanna talk about the cable.

Ohhhkayyy . . . how about the sound?

They sound delightful. Like my gold 325i and the Harman Target had a baby. But I dont wanna talk about the cable.

Are they more musical, or more analytical ?

When I play music through them they are extremely musical. When I listen to a philosophy lecture with them they are extremely analytical.

Those triple wood cups look pretty sweet !

IMHO they are the coolest wooden cups on any headphone this side of ZMF. Thats is the main reason why I bought them despite having 18 other Grados. But I dont wanna talk about the cable.

What amps do they pair with ?

Yes.

So, like, they would pair well with my Intergalactic Endgame TS 9000 with the special tubes that they recovered from the wreckage at Roswell ?

Yes.

And with my 1986 vintage Walkman that I bought off of a homeless guy in Detroit ?

Yes.

How do they compare with your other Grados ?

You know that meme where the guy is with his girlfriend, but he's checking out another girl that's walking by ? I'm the guy, RS1x is the other girl, and all my other headphones are the girlfriend.

But I dont wanna talk about the cable.

How long do they need to burn in ?

I dont recommend actually burning them, but just let them get a little toasty on the outside, like S'Mores around a campfire.

Can you give us a detailed breakdown and ranking of them relative to all your other Grados based on Aristotle's original treatise on the
45 most important attributes for headphones?

Sure, but only 44 attributes. I dont wanna talk about the cable.

"He who shall not be named"
20220521_133425[1].jpg

"The 'Other Girl' in the meme"
20220521_133402[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20220521_133402[1].jpg
    20220521_133402[1].jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back