Grado Fan Club!
May 25, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #53,056 of 65,678
…and those are driven by a Felix Euforia 🤣🤣🤣…and not listening to Three Dog Night…🤣👎🤣👎

The Hemps are very strange headphone. They have a small sound stage, low on details, sometimes they are sibilant, super uncomfortable, bad layering, no separation, cheap build quality, stupidly thick cable and etc... but some how they became my daily headphone. I can't explain why. Technically they are no more than a $100 headphone. My first pair of Hemps cracked the next day and I sent them back and never planed to buy them again. But then I couldn't sleep and had to purchase them again. Then sold them. And now I have a 3rd pair. I decided no matter what do not sell them again.
There is some magic in Hemps.
I agree with some of this but not all...the build isn't great for the cost apart from the cups themselves which I love and definitely less than £100.
The audio is actually pretty good not totl but none the less pretty good and better than any £100 headphone I have heard, I think they at there price range and above and I would take these over say a senn hd 650 any day of the week.
Staging is average not huge not small, layering is ok again not totl but good, I would in no way call these sibilant, if you think these are then try 325e which are definitely brighter lol. I find most of what you get out of any grado is what you put in, i.e source and material and also comes down to your hearing preferrences too ...
But good to see there your daily driver.

May 25, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #53,057 of 65,678
I agree with some of this but not all...the build isn't great for the cost apart from the cups themselves which I love and definitely less than £100.
The audio is actually pretty good not totl but none the less pretty good and better than any £100 headphone I have heard, I think they at there price range and above and I would take these over say a senn hd 650 any day of the week.
Staging is average not huge not small, layering is ok again not totl but good, I would in no way call these sibilant, if you think these are then try 325e which are definitely brighter lol. I find most of what you get out of any grado is what you put in, i.e source and material and also comes down to your hearing preferrences too ...
But good to see there your daily driver.
It depends on pads. When I switched from F pads to G pads there was definitely bigger sound stage, better separation, but they become more sibilant and the tuning is different. I prefer the F pads for that, I get more information from the music because the drivers are more close to my ears.

May 25, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #53,058 of 65,678
It depends on pads. When I switched from F pads to G pads there was definitely bigger sound stage, better separation, but they become more sibilant and the tuning is different. I prefer the F pads for that, I get more information from the music because the drivers are more close to my ears.
I have to confess I have tiny ears even though I'm not too small , this means that most grado pads tend to sit between on ear and over ear.
I have found some copies on AliExpress of L cush that I like and been using on ps500e and just literally trying them on hemp...I find pads like most of headphones in general debatable because just like inner ear (different stage different acoustics) the size and shape of your ear will determine ... that's not to say giving a guide or opinion is wrong more what works for one may not work for all.....
anyway il post my link to them , I liked them and worked for me especially on the ps500e ...

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPLtuOS

May 25, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #53,060 of 65,678
A couple of random thoughts.

I was yesterday the whole day in München at the High end show. I listened to every headphone there. The new ZMF, T+A Sol P, Abyss Diana TC, Spirit Torino (almost all of them), HE1000Se, Susvara, 1266 TC, the new Stax, the Raal SR1a, Final D8000 you name it.

The first thing I noticed the almost all "systems" were severly sub-optimal on the source side. Even the best systems (Feliks Envy) was fronted with a Rose audio player (which is kinda OK in my book). Lot of them were driven with portable devices.

Maybe that's the reason that I found only two "system" which I thought was on the level on the sound quality of what I am having at home. One was the new Stax (with a the big Stax amp and don't know what kind of source) and Raal togehter with the new Raal tube amp. The latter was the star for me.

I have a system which is head over heels compared to most of the head-fi systems I see here. Maybe because I am coming of tens of years of two channel speaker audio. I am not saying that I am a source first guy. I think everything matters and different components can screw up the sound in very different ways. So, it's always a chain. I don't name here everything, but my DAC is the Aries Cerat Heléne, that goes into the Trafomatic Head 2 as a preamp which drives the Enleum 23R. There are still other elements in the system (cabling, power management, resonance controll) but the thing is, all this electronics are driving either a HEMP or a GS3000e. Absolutly insane for many, because the HEMP is sooo very effective, why use anything more then a Dragonfly Red. It will drive it loud enough.

True. But let me repeat my self. My system with the HEMP on it's end rivalled or bested headphone systems were the headphones were several thousand EUR worth. Actually almost every one of them.

I have nothing to gain with saying this and I can accept when something is better (that's why I will give the Raal a second listen). It was just the conclusion of the day.

The other being - what I am always saying - do not underestimate the scaling capacity of a Grado. It's enorm.
I agree that there are source issues at many displays, lack of sound quality and limited selection being the chief culprits. Of course a show environment is never going to be the best way to judge gear.

At the NYC CanJam one company had their way over $10,000 TOTL on demo. I listened and came away unimpressed. When my buddy tried it later as soon as he started listening he looked around and then asked the rep if they were playing a binaural source. They answered yes and he politely gave them back the phones. He was pissed 😡 that they snuck that in without letting him know.
Best bet is if you bring some good listening material of your own on a DAP.

Shows are still great fun, especially the fellowship aspect which wonderful and interesting.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #53,061 of 65,678
At the NYC CanJam one company had their way over $10,000 TOTL on demo. I listened and came away unimpressed. When my buddy tried it later as soon as he started listening he looked around and then asked the rep if they were playing a binaural source. They answered yes and he politely gave them back the phones. He was pissed 😡 that they snuck that in without letting him know.
Best bet is if you bring some good listening material of your own on a DAP.
As in a binaural recording or binaural post-processing? Great suggestion though, you should have a few go-to tracks with you so you can compare apples to apples.

@carboncopy any impressions of the Spirit Torino headphones despite the sub-optimal setup? The utilization of a passive radiator on some of the headphones is interesting.

May 25, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #53,062 of 65,678
As in a binaural recording or binaural post-processing? Great suggestion though, you should have a few go-to tracks with you so you can compare apples to apples.

@carboncopy any impressions of the Spirit Torino headphones despite the sub-optimal setup? The utilization of a passive radiator on some of the headphones is interesting.
They were decent enough, there was a new, smaller one, that was also good. But somehow the magic was not there for me. It failed to captivate me. Could be the circumstance. I listened every one of them, except the Valkyre. It was on silent display. Very nice customisation options with very cool headbands and colours.

But from what I heard there I would choose Grado evey day over it. Not much I know, but I listened over 20 (or more) headphones that day.

May 25, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #53,063 of 65,678
They were decent enough, there was a new, smaller one, that was also good. But somehow the magic was not there for me. It failed to captivate me. Could be the circumstance. I listened every one of them, except the Valkyre. It was on silent display. Very nice customisation options with very cool headbands and colours.

But from what I heard there I would choose Grado evey day over it. Not much I know, but I listened over 20 (or more) headphones that day.
Which Grado (s)?

May 25, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #53,064 of 65,678
Where’s Sherlock when you need him?
He transformed into something… Strange!

OK, we maybe find him here:
https://bakerstreetirregulars.com/

I, personally, carry him around on my phone.
(Audible / Stephen Fry: "...it was reading the Sherlock Holmes stories as a boy that first turned me on to the power of writing and storytelling." )
Love listening to (t)his received pronounciation over RS1e’s.

Your avowed audiobook listener,
J. Wiggins

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #53,065 of 65,678
After nearly 2 weeks, I got it and I am
Still playing with the GS3000e trying different sources/amps.
Still finding it's quite promising (SQ and comfort).
And still surprised, how amp power can improve SQ of the GS3000e... Basically, it seems to be far more demanding regarding power than I heard on the web till now.

This time I played with the Centrance M8V2 connected with BT APTX to my android Z Fold 3..

Grado GS3000e Centrance M8V2 5Dsr Stack 4 web.jpg

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #53,066 of 65,678
FWIW: Just needed to spend some money on something luxurious:gs1000smile: So two new headbands from Turbulent for my GS2000e and the RS1X. Now happy again:L3000:

IMG_0934.jpeg

May 26, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #53,067 of 65,678
I'd say hemp, as my first Grado, is oddly amazing.
At the time I was planning to grab a Grado, my friends told me 'why not grab a limited Grado,' so initially I was thinking of buying a gh4, but unfortunately I can't even find a pre-owned gh4 by that time, so I bought the hemp instead.
My first impression was: What, a wobbly headband, a tiny metallic pole for scale adjustment, it definitely looks like a toy for 4-year-old kids and can't even last for ten days, but you're telling me this is a limited version?
Well I was soon settled down after hearing it a bit, although it's not like Focal that you can 'see' at a glance where your money is being spent, nor the ones that provide with great amount of details. But I think there is definitely a 'magic' that keeps me listening.
20210307_235911.jpg.jpg

May 26, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #53,068 of 65,678
I'd say hemp, as my first Grado, is oddly amazing.
At the time I was planning to grab a Grado, my friends told me 'why not grab a limited Grado,' so initially I was thinking of buying a gh4, but unfortunately I can't even find a pre-owned gh4 by that time, so I bought the hemp instead.
My first impression was: What, a wobbly headband, a tiny metallic pole for scale adjustment, it definitely looks like a toy for 4-year-old kids and can't even last for ten days, but you're telling me this is a limited version?
Well I was soon settled down after hearing it a bit, although it's not like Focal that you can 'see' at a glance where your money is being spent, nor the ones that provide with great amount of details. But I think there is definitely a 'magic' that keeps me listening.
There's a handcrafted charm to them for sure.

Also, am I the only one that calls them "hemp-phones"?

May 26, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #53,070 of 65,678
1653591044269.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back