Grado Fan Club!
Oct 14, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #43,456 of 65,822
Thanks for the info, my current sr60s are hole punched as it was one of the first mods i did, they sound good but im itching for a touch more bass. Would sr80s 125 or 225s have more bass?

How many holes do they have?

I have not heard vented 80, 125 or 225 drivers...so I don't know. I can tell you that the modified X has about the same amount of bass as my vented 60i.

Oct 14, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #43,457 of 65,822
How many holes do they have?

I have not heard vented 80, 125 or 225 drivers...so I don't know. I can tell you that the modified X has about the same amount of bass as my vented 60i.

I Punched 4 hole because I'm crazy, i use to have 225s punched but i broke them trying to solder a new cable. those were great but something tells me each tier is almost the same except for 325 and up as far as drivers go

Oct 14, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #43,458 of 65,822
I Punched 4 hole because I'm crazy, i use to have 225s punched but i broke them trying to solder a new cable. those were great but something tells me each tier is almost the same except for 325 and up as far as drivers go

Well, if you want more bass, you can keep making more holes. If that does not get you the bass you are looking for then you could get another driver. But even those drivers might not have the bass quantity you are looking for (you might need to vent those too).

Oct 14, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #43,459 of 65,822
Maybe not the best wording. I would totally buy it again, now that I know how it sounds. But without experience and watching this..
That guy clearly just does not like Grados. He repeatedly mispronounces the names of the models. I know, four whole characters are tough to remember. The pads are uncomfortable. Yup, they sure are. Thats why there's a whole cottage industry around better earpads for Grados. Their measurements are wonky. I accept that, and I dont care. I listen to a lot of virtuoso rock bass players on my Grados : Berry Oakley, Phil Lesh, Mike Gordon, Oteil Burbridge. I wouldn't keep doing this if they "had no bass". The lowest note on a bass guitar is around 40HZ and the highest note on a normal guitar is around 1khz. Thats where good music happens.

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #43,460 of 65,822
That guy clearly just does not like Grados. He repeatedly mispronounces the names of the models. I know, four whole characters are tough to remember. The pads are uncomfortable. Yup, they sure are. Thats why there's a whole cottage industry around better earpads for Grados. Their measurements are wonky. I accept that, and I dont care. I listen to a lot of virtuoso rock bass players on my Grados : Berry Oakley, Phil Lesh, Mike Gordon, Oteil Burbridge. I wouldn't keep doing this if they "had no bass". The lowest note on a bass guitar is around 40HZ and the highest note on a normal guitar is around 1khz. Thats where good music happens.

It's just so trendy to crap all over Grado. How many times have we seen someone come into this thread to tell us that they had avoided Grado because of all the negative reviews, only to be absolutely floored when they heard how good they actually turn out to be? I've lost count.

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #43,461 of 65,822
He would've been better served by having an actual Grado fan with him during the podcast for opinions and guidance. (This way, he'd get a few more pads to measure, too!) It was obvious he had no clue how to handle a Grado, as he didn't even bother to stretch the headband from its stock tension.

However, I do agree that there's something "off" about the RS1e. I feel the RS1e and the GS2000e are the two wonkiest models in Grado's lineup. (The Hemp at USD $420 is better than both.) People who have compared the PS1000 (no i, as the PS1000 was released during the i-generation) vs the PS1000e preferred the former. ruthieandjohn, who has the largest collection, preferred the GS1000i over the GS1000e. It seems that Grado's standard 50mm driver (that's not on the GS3000e/PS2000e) is quite a hit-or-miss thing. (But ruthieandjohn loved the GS2000e after he re-terminated it to XLR! Hmm!)

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #43,462 of 65,822
However, I do agree that there's something "off" about the RS1e. I feel the RS1e and the GS2000e are the two wonkiest models in Grado's lineup.

Also, he pretty well acknowledges that the RS2e (or is it R2Se . . . who can keep track of little details like that when its literally your job) is a pretty good match to that one measurement standard; it just happens to be different than the standard he likes. And people in these threads seem to universally rave about the Re2S, er, I mean 2ReS, er, the one with the black headband . . . y'know the e2SR.

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #43,463 of 65,822
Also, he pretty well acknowledges that the RS2e (or is it R2Se . . . who can keep track of little details like that when its literally your job) is a pretty good match to that one measurement standard; it just happens to be different than the standard he likes. And people in these threads seem to universally rave about the Re2S, er, I mean 2ReS, er, the one with the black headband . . . y'know the e2SR.

The review was made after burning the Grado Hemp since the reviewer was under the impression its made from Mary-Juu-Aanna

Oct 14, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #43,464 of 65,822
My Hemp is for sale on CAM. It's a good headphone, but it's just going to collect dust as long as I own the GS3000e.

Oct 14, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #43,465 of 65,822
It's just so trendy to crap all over Grado. How many times have we seen someone come into this thread to tell us that they had avoided Grado because of all the negative reviews, only to be absolutely floored when they heard how good they actually turn out to be? I've lost count.
My Hemp is for sale on CAM. It's a good headphone, but it's just going to collect dust as long as I own the GS3000e.

What is CAM? Sorry I'm new.

Oct 14, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #43,466 of 65,822
I tried Geekria L pads on my Hemp headphones and wasn't really a fan. Can't quite put my finger on why (though I didn't spend a ton of time with them). I think they sound much better with the default flat pads.

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #43,469 of 65,822
@elvergun do you have photo's of the vented driver?

I didn't take any pictures before I press fit them into the cups.

But I did a search and they look like this image:
IMG_0710.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back