Grado Fan Club!
Oct 15, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #43,472 of 66,260
I tried Geekria L pads on my Hemp headphones and wasn't really a fan. Can't quite put my finger on why (though I didn't spend a ton of time with them). I think they sound much better with the default flat pads.
Same, I much prefer the sound with the stock pads in comparison to the Geekria L pads. The Geekria pads sound leaner and have less bass so they sound cleaner than the stock pads at higher volumes but for the volume I listen to the Hemp with the stock pads don't get congested and sound much better imho

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #43,473 of 66,260
I tried Geekria L pads on my Hemp headphones and wasn't really a fan. Can't quite put my finger on why (though I didn't spend a ton of time with them). I think they sound much better with the default flat pads.

A lot of time was put in at Grado to come up with the original Grado flats as being the best combo and was a major basis of the design. You can always experiment but I recommend to spend more time with the Hemp before trying much more. Is your Hemp broken in as yet?, how many hours of playtime would you estimate you have. Unless you are at least at 50 hours, better at 100 hours you will not be hearing what the stock Hemp will eventually sound like.

Good luck.....

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #43,474 of 66,260
A lot of time was put in at Grado to come up with the original Grado flats as being the best combo and was a major basis of the design. You can always experiment but I recommend to spend more time with the Hemp before trying much more. Is your Hemp broken in as yet?, how many hours of playtime would you estimate you have. Unless you are at least at 50 hours, better at 100 hours you will not be hearing what the stock Hemp will eventually sound like.

Good luck.....
FWIW: I have only had the Hemps for a week. They've played about 125h so they should be good by now. I really like the flat pads, indeed I've used them for a couple of years (TVVJ de luxe flat pads) both with GH2 and HF3. I was actually surprised that the Hemps come with them as stock. However, once in a while I like to tweak the sound depending on mood and music. The Geekria L provides a nice alternative - also to the Grado L - and they are slightly softer (but of course not as the BAs). At work where I use 80i's with another amp, the Geekria made a noticeable difference for the better compared with the flats. But of course everything is individual also in this hobby:)

Edit: Just swapped back to the flat pads on the hemps. Admittedly, these pads provide a very nice oomph ...

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #43,475 of 66,260

I don’t know. I just love my RS2e and I wouldn’t buy it after watching this.

I don't like the idea of making all headphones to hit the harman target. The reason I love Grados is because of the way they sound, if they sounded like the HD650 then I wouldn't like them. Saying: "Don't buy these headphones because they don't sound like all the other headphones" seems like a closed minded perspective.

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #43,476 of 66,260
@elvergun oh, i thought you meant making more holes in the grill touching the ears :)

No...you need to remove the drivers from the cups, vent and then stick everything back together again. It is not extremely difficult to do, but it ain't easy either. The reward (better sound quality) is worth it though. You can make an SR60 series model sound almost as good as an RS series.

What you can't do is turn a Grado into a bass cannon. I've read that people have opened as many as 10 vents to get moar and moar bass.

Oct 15, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #43,477 of 66,260
The Geekria L provides a nice alternative - also to the Grado L - and they are slightly softer (but of course not as the BAs). At work where I use 80i's with another amp, the Geekria made a noticeable difference for the better compared with the flats. But of course everything is individual also in this hobby:)

I believe you also have the advantage of running your Grados on the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, and that XBass switch nicely adds some of the low-end oomph that is reduced from going to the L pads. It's all about equipment matching...

Oct 15, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #43,478 of 66,260
I don't like the idea of making all headphones to hit the harman target. The reason I love Grados is because of the way they sound, if they sounded like the HD650 then I wouldn't like them. Saying: "Don't buy these headphones because they don't sound like all the other headphones" seems like a closed minded perspective.

I just watched some of the video.

The stupidest thing this guy said is, "this is just a driver inside the cup". Well, no s**t, Sherlock...that is how most headphones are made. My Denon D2000 is a driver inside a closed cup -- there is no magic going on in there. Really dude, just open up a D2000 and you will see that there is no fairy pixie dust swirling around in some secret compartment.

And then he says, "this...there really isn't a cup" as he holds the cup up to the camera :scream:...and then he adds, "it's more like a structure there to hold the driver in place and then you know, some pads on the outside of it". what?

He really should watch one of Tyll's old videos to learn how to review a headphone.

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #43,479 of 66,260
Same, I much prefer the sound with the stock pads in comparison to the Geekria L pads. The Geekria pads sound leaner and have less bass so they sound cleaner than the stock pads at higher volumes but for the volume I listen to the Hemp with the stock pads don't get congested and sound much better imho

Yeah. This was my exact thought. Took away some of the fun factor from them and made them sound less full. The bass was lacking with the L pads (which is part of the reason I like them over my PS500e so far).

Good luck.....

They're not broken in yet. I probably have about 20 hours on them so far. Definitely need more time. I just wanted to hear the difference so far. Gonna stick with the stock pads for a while longer before trying the L pads again.

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #43,480 of 66,260
I just watched some of the video.

The stupidest thing this guy said is, "this is just a driver inside the cup". Well, no s**t, Sherlock...that is how most headphones are made. My Denon D2000 is a driver inside a closed cup -- there is no magic going on in there. Really dude, just open up a D2000 and you will see that there is no fairy pixie dust swirling around in some secret compartment.

And then he says, "this...there really isn't a cup" as he holds the cup up to the camera :scream:...and then he adds, "it's more like a structure there to hold the driver in place and then you know, some pads on the outside of it". what?

He really should watch one of Tyll's old videos to learn how to review a headphone.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I think thats part of the charm of Grados is that they "pull back the curtain" a little and reveal to the user how simple a headphone actually is. Its a couple of tiny speakers, housed inside a cup of some sort, with a headband. That's all. Grados make no pretense otherwise.

"This isn't really a review . . . its just a video . . . where I talk about this thing that I've experienced, and tell you what I think about it."

Oct 16, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #43,481 of 66,260
Gonna stick with the stock pads for a while longer before trying the L pads again.

You'd probably like one of the other Geekria pads more. As stated in my review, though I enjoyed the Geekria L best, the other Geekria pads, being made of only 1 material, provide a denser sound which you may prefer.

Oct 16, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #43,482 of 66,260
You'd probably like one of the other Geekria pads more. As stated in my review, though I enjoyed the Geekria L best, the other Geekria pads, being made of only 1 material, provide a denser sound which you may prefer.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind after I give the stock pads a few more hours.

This also has me curious as to what the Hemp's stock flat pads would sound like on my PS500e, too.

Oct 16, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #43,483 of 66,260
Hey fellow Head-Fi'ers. I've been away for a bit but I'm back with some renewed interest in continuing my headphone listening journey. I've been using my precious Grado RS1i's and a Woo WA6 amp for a few years now, and they're a great combination to listen to. So recently I upgraded to a Chord Qutest DAC and top of the line Audioquest Earth RCA interconnect cables and an AQ Diamond USB cable. I'm wondering if going up the Grado food chain to their GS3000e headphones would enhance my listening experience at all? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #43,484 of 66,260
Hey fellow Head-Fi'ers. I've been away for a bit but I'm back with some renewed interest in continuing my headphone listening journey. I've been using my precious Grado RS1i's and a Woo WA6 amp for a few years now, and they're a great combination to listen to. So recently I upgraded to a Chord Qutest DAC and top of the line Audioquest Earth RCA interconnect cables and an AQ Diamond USB cable. I'm wondering if going up the Grado food chain to their GS3000e headphones would enhance my listening experience at all?Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
It’s going to be different for sure, I would say it’s worth a try but the gs series are different than the rs. So a little bit of personal preference needs to be taken into account.

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #43,485 of 66,260
I'm looking to get a new set of Grados im tied between the 225 and the 325, I currently have the 60 but fully modded with Mohogany cups g pads and the hole punch mods. Which would give me different better audio experience ( I mostly listen to rock , metal) also considering HD58x as an option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back