Grado Fan Club!
Oct 16, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #43,486 of 66,284
I'm looking to get a new set of Grados im tied between the 225 and the 325, I currently have the 60 but fully modded with Mohogany cups g pads and the hole punch mods. Which would give me different better audio experience ( I mostly listen to rock , metal) also considering HD58x as an option

I think that my modded SR60 is better than any stock SR model. Perhaps a modded 325 will sound better than a modded SR60, but I don't know if that is the case. If you want a stock Grado I would suggest the Hemp (which I think is better than my modded SR60).

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #43,487 of 66,284
It’s going to be different for sure, I would say it’s worth a try but the gs series are different than the rs. So a little bit of personal preference needs to be taken into account.
I tried some GS1000's years ago when I initially bought my RS1's, and I really liked them. I'm pretty sure I'll really enjoy the 3000e's even more.

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #43,488 of 66,284
I'm looking to get a new set of Grados im tied between the 225 and the 325, I currently have the 60 but fully modded with Mohogany cups g pads and the hole punch mods. Which would give me different better audio experience ( I mostly listen to rock , metal) also considering HD58x as an option

I have the 225e and I enjoyed it a lot before I upgraded to the PS500e. I think the 225e is the best price/performance option in the SR line, personally. But since you already modded the 60's, I think you'd be better off looking outside the SR line at something else.

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #43,489 of 66,284
I believe you also have the advantage of running your Grados on the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, and that XBass switch nicely adds some of the low-end oomph that is reduced from going to the L pads. It's all about equipment matching...
You're absolutely right: the XBass button does wonders (also) with Grado's. However, I also realised that the volume level has major impact on the overall impression. I can listen to a somewhat higher volume with either G or L pads, whereas with the flats I can only listen at higher levels it for a relatively short period. That being said, they sound absolutely great with a higher volume:)

Oct 16, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #43,490 of 66,284
It’s going to be different for sure, I would say it’s worth a try but the gs series are different than the rs. So a little bit of personal preference needs to be taken into account.
Thank you elira for the little push you gave me this morning. I took a short inventory of my personal preferences, and now my account, credit card that is, needs to be put to rest for awhile. I called my local audiophile store, and just by chance they had a brand new pair of GS3000e headphones in an unopened box which I purchased after a very brief listen. These headphones are really amazing! My recordings of Mozarts Don Giovanni never sounded so beautifully lush and engaging.

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #43,491 of 66,284
Thank you elira for the little push you gave me this morning. I took a short inventory of my personal preferences, and now my account, credit card that is, needs to be put to rest for awhile. I called my local audiophile store, and just by chance they had a brand new pair of GS3000e headphones in an unopened box which I purchased after a very brief listen. These headphones are really amazing! My recordings of Mozarts Don Giovanni never sounded so beautifully lush and engaging.

I'm jealous of all the people with GS3000e. Hope I can some day afford a pair. Congrats on your new headphones. :)

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #43,492 of 66,284

It didn't take you long to make your decision...and it seems you made the right one. :beerchug:

Let us know about what you think about the GS3000e in the following days.

Oct 16, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #43,493 of 66,284
Does anyone have any recommendations on a small amp that works well with grado?

Oct 16, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #43,494 of 66,284
Does anyone have any recommendations on a small amp that works well with grado?

I always recommend the JDS Labs Objective 2 as a starter. IMHO it sounds great w/ most headphones and the amp has an impedance button, low & high. Some people don’t like the O2 but I find it to be a great sounding amp especially for the price. Some prefer the lower end Schiit amplifiers/ products. I’m not one of them. Just a suggestion as you asked. Good luck, hope you find an amp you like.

BTW, I just checked the JDS Labs Audio site. The O2 is $139 regular but they have a “B stock” one right now for $109. “B stock” are products that have aesthetic faults. Technically everything’s fine. I bought a “B stock” one about four years ago & it still works perfectly.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #43,495 of 66,284
I always recommend the JDS Labs Objective 2 as a starter. IMHO it sounds great w/ most headphones and the amp has an impedance button, low & high. Some people don’t like the O2 but I find it to be a great sounding amp especially for the price. Some prefer the lower end Schiit amplifiers/ products. I’m not one of them. Just a suggestion as you asked. Good luck, hope you find an amp you like.

BTW, I just checked the JDS Labs Audio site. The O2 is $139 regular but they have a “B stock” one right now for $109. “B stock” are products that have aesthetic faults. Technically everything’s fine. I bought a “B stock” one about four years ago & it still works perfectly.

Would you have any portable options that you recommend?

Oct 16, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #43,498 of 66,284
Oct 16, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #43,499 of 66,284
Done with the SR60i mod. Changed headband and added aluminum gimbals.

IMG_2750.JPG

Oct 16, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #43,500 of 66,284
Done with the SR60i mod. Changed headband and added aluminum gimbals.

IMG_2750.JPG

That looks sick. One day, I want to mod my SR-225e. I rarely use them anymore anyway but have zero experience with opening headphones or electronics like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back