Grado Fan Club!
Jun 9, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #41,551 of 65,637
"Also when I owned the Stax 009 linked to THE best electrostatic amp (Headamp BHSE) in the world it never blew me away".
I don't know if you recall, but I also owned the 009/BHSE at the same time you did (without issue, though) for 2+yrs. As much as I did enjoy owning this combo at that time for what it offered, it never 'blew me away' like my Grados did. This is absolutely not a knock to Stax or HeadAmp, but rather a compliment to Grado.

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #41,552 of 65,637
I don't know if you recall, but I also owned the 009/BHSE at the same time you did (without issue, though) for 2+yrs. As much as I did enjoy owning this combo at that time for what it offered, it never 'blew me away' like my Grados did. This is absolutely not a knock to Stax or HeadAmp, but rather a compliment to Grado.
Yes, same here joseph69 :L3000: ...... a compliment to Grado.

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #41,553 of 65,637
Among other purposes, I now use my Grados to keep me humble!

As a result of Covid-19, I have begun mixing (and leading) virtual choirs, where people around the world sing into their cell phones to a common accompaniment recording while on a Zoom meeting, then send me their individual singing recordings, which I blend into a choral performance. Below is a screen shot... I do this for three different groups and have done about two dozen so far.

I used closed headphones (or sometimes speakers) to mix the audio to achieve a good blend. (The closed headphones are Beats Pro, which work very well for this for me).

But when I get a bit smug or cocky with what I consider the great sound of a mixing, I put on a pair of Grados (usually my GS1000i classics), and I realize how many syllable misalignments and sore thumbs I still left in there! (I am the goofy-looking guy in the bow tie).

Link to video

AA27657E-536D-4755-9C1F-4915FAF6365B.png

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #41,554 of 65,637
Great review of the oft-overlooked Grado GR10e IEMs, as well as their bassy every-day IGE3s, by The Headphone Guru, here.

BD42A92F-B69D-443A-9863-EE0DF90CA46B.png
I own the Gr10e, SR80e, SR225e and the GS1000i's....love them all ... the GR10e is possibly to me the best sounding/most musical of them all!
My most frequently used is the SR225e - combination of comfort (no insertion) and also sounds great straight from my tablet or iphone - but through
my rig the GR10e's sound is amazing! Highly recommended...they look like nothing special but they are so musical!

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #41,556 of 65,637
I own the Gr10e, SR80e, SR225e and the GS1000i's....love them all ... the GR10e is possibly to me the best sounding/most musical of them all!
My most frequently used is the SR225e - combination of comfort (no insertion) and also sounds great straight from my tablet or iphone - but through
my rig the GR10e's sound is amazing! Highly recommended...they look like nothing special but they are so musical!

I'm glad I don't use IEMs...otherwise I would be tempted to buy one.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #41,557 of 65,637

How is the sound-stage / imaging? I've not delved too much into the IEM universe, but no earbuds I've ever tried can emulate that feeling that speakers have. Surprisingly, though -- my GW100's actually have slightly better imaging than even my GH2s (even though the frequency response is completely bonkers on them lol)

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #41,558 of 65,637
LMAO...super happy to see this today:

https://www.4ourears.net/product_p/4e-hemp-le.htm

I had no idea you could get hemp wood. I am totally going to look into turning some myself. Note the price :D (in the USthe number 420 is a subtle weed reference.). Note also the interestingreturn of the TTVJ flat pad to the Grado lineup :)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #41,559 of 65,637
LMAO...super happy to see this today:

https://www.4ourears.net/product_p/4e-hemp-le.htm

I had no idea you could get hemp wood. I am totally going to look into turning some myself. Note the price :D (in the USthe number 420 is a subtle weed reference.). Note also the interestingreturn of the TTVJ flat pad to the Grado lineup :)
Thanks, they look indeed Nice. Unfortunately the only ship within US......

Jun 10, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #41,561 of 65,637
It seems to have a different driver, it is a 38 ohm driver while other Grado models have been 32 ohm.

...interesting. I wonder if its to compensate for the hemp wood somehow....probably not. They are paired with the TTVJ flats, which usually give a smoother, more pronounced low-end (they pair VERY well with 90's vintage and earlier Grados). Must be a brand new driver added to the lineup.

The text says the cups are Maple and Hemp wood. I'd be interested to see where the Maple is used. I suspect the barrels, and the Hemp is likely just the outside face.

*edit* looks like the whole cup is hemp, unless they have something hidden behind the pads which I doubt. Maybe the button is the Maple?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #41,562 of 65,637
Hi,

Got a SR80e a few month back and i am loving it. Planning to upgrade to the RS2e....Would the difference be obvious in sound? What would be the main differences? Maily listening to classical and a bit of jazz and rock...

Thanks

I started with 80e's and soon after added a pair of RS2e's. I threw the 80e's in my briefcase to work in offices, and kept the 2e's at home. The first differences I noticed were the soundstage and low end detail. My biggest complaint with the 80e's was the narrowish soundstage and somewhat disjointed frequencies. I wasn't hearing a good hand-off between highs, mids and lows (I ended up getting a pair of 125e's for my portable cans, which I much prefer). The 2e is much more refined, and that stuck-in-your-head sound is gone. The bass is great because it's not overdone and as I mentioned has so much detail.

I think the 2e's are great for jazz and classical.

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #41,564 of 65,637
Just got a used pair of GH1 and a GS1000i for an extremely cheap price to join my PS500 and MSPro. The GS1000i sounds incredible with jazz out of the Lyr 3, which is great because I listen to 99% jazz. Reminds me of my MS-Pro but much more clearer and detailed sounding. The bass is also really great and is very punchy sounding. The GH1 is a really great allrounder and sounds amazing straight out of my computer.
IMG-0261.jpg

Jun 11, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #41,565 of 65,637
Among other purposes, I now use my Grados to keep me humble!

As a result of Covid-19, I have begun mixing (and leading) virtual choirs, where people around the world sing into their cell phones to a common accompaniment recording while on a Zoom meeting, then send me their individual singing recordings, which I blend into a choral performance. Below is a screen shot... I do this for three different groups and have done about two dozen so far.

I used closed headphones (or sometimes speakers) to mix the audio to achieve a good blend. (The closed headphones are Beats Pro, which work very well for this for me).

But when I get a bit smug or cocky with what I consider the great sound of a mixing, I put on a pair of Grados (usually my GS1000i classics), and I realize how many syllable misalignments and sore thumbs I still left in there! (I am the goofy-looking guy in the bow tie).

Link to video

AA27657E-536D-4755-9C1F-4915FAF6365B.png
I love that you produced that, I enjoyed watching and listening to your virtual choir! Unfortunately I committed the sin of not bringing a pair of Grados with me to Colorado, so I listened with my chill-on-couch Beats Solo3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back