Grado Fan Club!
Jun 8, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #41,536 of 65,536
Has anyone tried this? I actually found a stable position.

The out-of-your head effect is astounding! I've read about the AKG K1000. This must be a similar experience.These are the gs1000e. I'm not familiar with other Grados, but if they share the same infrastructure design, then it should be possible with other models as well.

I had put these away for a long time in favor of my HD800 with a Silver Dragon. I've recently acquired a Hugo 1.0, so I decided to revisit.

I was quite impressed with the gs1000e/Hugo1 combo...even before I discovered this unconventional positioning. Try with jazz/classical/acoustic music, first. I've had mixed results with rock/dance music. Very uneven recording values. My source is Tidal HiFi, btw...20200608_091147.jpg20200608_092643.jpg
Lol :beyersmile::o2smile::ksc75smile:

Jun 8, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #41,537 of 65,536
Also a lot of the Grado headphones are very revealing and transparent and if you have a crappy system and source and crappy produced Vinyl, CD's or music files you will soon know about it.
Yup...I've never owned any other headphones so intolerant of bad recordings.

Which isn't a bad thing, really. It's not John Grado's responsibility to rescue me from bad recordings if I choose to listen to them...

Jun 8, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #41,538 of 65,536

The out-of-your head effect is astounding! I've read about the AKG K1000. This must be a similar experience.These are the gs1000e. I'm not familiar with other Grados, but if they share the same infrastructure design, then it should be possible with other models as well.

I had put these away for a long time in favor of my HD800 with a Silver Dragon. I've recently acquired a Hugo 1.0, so I decided to revisit.

I was quite impressed with the gs1000e/Hugo1 combo...even before I discovered this unconventional positioning. Try with jazz/classical/acoustic music, first. I've had mixed results with rock/dance music. Very uneven recording values. My source is Tidal HiFi, btw...20200608_091147.jpg20200608_092643.jpg
I should add that I'm surprised the fidelity remains intact with a much greater sense of space added to the experience. I would have expected the bass to drop off at least or instruments to sound more distant or misplaced, but no...

Jun 8, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #41,539 of 65,536
Yes treebug. Coming to think of it, I also had a strange /weird feeling fitting experience of the Empy's on my head too.

All that technology and R&D going into their hybrid drivers. Didn't make them amazing though did it.

Also when I had the Stax 009's I had no end of problems with one of the drivers and had to return them back to Stax in Japan twice in three years. And they were supposed to be at that time THE best headphone in the world which I had linked to THE best electrostatic amp (Headamp BHSE) in the world. At CANJAM London the 009's with a BHSE and Ayre QBD9 ??? DAC was the best sound to my ears at the show (and that was comparing with a Chord Dave and Audeze LCD4's and Focal Utopia's (the year they first came out)) but after owning this system for a couple of years it never blew me away adn I can say whole heartedly my GS3000e's and Hugo 2 linked to my Chord Blu Mk1 is giving me far more music enjoyment than the Stax set-up did.

The Empyrean had to be sitting past the crown of my head, almost slipping off the back before I could get the pads comfortable. Glad someone else found the fit odd and it wasn't just my odd head shape then. :smile_phones:

Need to give the GS3000e a try at some point. If it has similar sound to the PS2000e without the weight then that would be a perfect headphone (if such a thing exists)!

Jun 8, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #41,540 of 65,536

Is this the new Grado Mickey Mouse Limited Edition?

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #41,541 of 65,536
The Empyrean had to be sitting past the crown of my head, almost slipping off the back before I could get the pads comfortable. Glad someone else found the fit odd and it wasn't just my odd head shape then. :smile_phones:

Need to give the GS3000e a try at some point. If it has similar sound to the PS2000e without the weight then that would be a perfect headphone (if such a thing exists)!
And I must try the PS2000e ! Problem we both may have is we may feel a need to keep both ! lol

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #41,544 of 65,536
I wish someone could design a pad that does exactly that, angle the drivers. Not to the extent in the pic, but perhaps angle them about 20 degrees to remove the in-your-head experience. This could be done by basically adding more foam in one section so you can choose whether to angle the drivers forwards or backwards.

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #41,545 of 65,536
Jun 8, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #41,546 of 65,536
I wish someone could design a pad that does exactly that, angle the drivers. Not to the extent in the pic, but perhaps angle them about 20 degrees to remove the in-your-head experience. This could be done by basically adding more foam in one section so you can choose whether to angle the drivers forwards or backwards.
I was thinking how I could shave the pads somehow...? Mod them myself?

Does John Grado know about this?!?

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #41,548 of 65,536
The angle looks extreme, but it actually works, to my ears, anyway. Did you try it as in the pics?
Finishing my beer is challenging, but otherwise this works...cheers!:beerchug: 20200608_132107.jpg

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #41,550 of 65,536
Agree, I have read positive reviews of PS1000e and PS2000e headphones amongst others.

I read all the manufacturers hype and a lot of good reviews both in Head-Fi.org and You Tube on the Meze Empy's. So I bought some ex-demo ones (cost £2,000) from a UK dealer expecting them to blow me away. They were beautifully built but the sound......well lets just say...I was so underwhelmed. I compared them with then my current best sounding (to my ears) Beyer T5P Gen 2's and my T5p's were far superior by all accounts. So I immediately sent the Meze's back to the dealer and got my money back.
My GS3000e's blow my T5P's out of the water on all counts i.e. sound, comfort, looks etc.

I'm a reviewer and I'm a big fan of Grado headphones! So is the vast majority of our team at Headphone.Guru. The PS2000e are right there in my collection and get plenty of head time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back