Grado Fan Club!
Feb 15, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #40,907 of 65,796
Picked up some GR10e earphones on a bit of a whim to use with a Sony NW-A55 walkman.

Shockingly good for the money, as long as you like the Grado sound.

Awesome! I've always wondered about their earbuds (IEMs?) They seem to get great reviews but I was curious if they had a Grado sound or were just another earbud. Those might be my next Grado purchase, because as much as I adore the open-back Grado sound, I'd like to bring that with me in a way that won't bother co-workers or family when traveling!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #40,908 of 65,796
Feb 16, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #40,909 of 65,796
Hi guys.
Can anyone explain the sound characteristics of GRADO PS1 and HP1000 headphones?
I really interested in and curious about these discontinued headphone but It's difficult to find a sale with appropriate conditions.
I have heard GS3000e, PS2000e, and other all kind of current e series grado headphones.
Thanks.

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #40,911 of 65,796
Hi guys.
Can anyone explain the sound characteristics of GRADO PS1 and HP1000 headphones?
I really interested in and curious about these discontinued headphone but It's difficult to find a sale with appropriate conditions.
I have heard GS3000e, PS2000e, and other all kind of current e series grado headphones.
Thanks.

What did you think of the GS3000e's?

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #40,912 of 65,796
Hi guys.
Thanks.
The HP1000 is as close to Grado comes to a flat frequency response. Developed by Joseph Grado to diagnose his new recording microphone, the Holographic Scalera Array, their function was to be a detailed and accurate probe that he used to improve his recording microphone. He also, with the help of a former Marantz sound engineer, developed the HPA-1 headphone amp to go with these headphones.

Their sound, with the flat frequency response, sounds different than other Grados. It is incisive and detailed. It does not give the same fun U-shaped response that is associated with other Grados.

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #40,913 of 65,796
Hi Grado lovers! Long time reader, first time poster here. I have my trusty SR80e and love it. I wanna try to upgrade, and have my eyes on the GS1000e. I have read a lot, but unfortunately am unable to listen and preview in my area since there are no dealers around. Would anyone here be able to shed some light as to what I can expect soundwise? I listen to rock, metal and jazz mainly. Have anyone done the same upgrade from the SR-series?

Feb 17, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #40,915 of 65,796
Man i spent so much time and money on different totl headphones or dacs just to find out that grado gs1000e with chord mojo is my endgame. I don't even know how to describe this sound but while you usually could quite clearly say one headphone sounds this way and one headpone that way the grados sound completely different from what i heard before from audeze, focal, hifiman, sennheiser and any other "normal" brand. I even like the gs1000e more than the 2000e. Unlike any other headphone i had i don't ask myself "what would it be to hear this song now with one step up in the ladder" like i would, hearing with lcd 3 and thinking about lcd 4. They just sound perfect the way they are.

From reading i never thought grado would fit me. Always thought they were for people who want to show off or have a nice looking design piece in their living room don't caring for the sound. I'm glad i tested them just for fun.
Loved reading your post! I have my eyes on the GS1000e too!

Feb 17, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #40,916 of 65,796
What did you think of the GS3000e's?
Dear Shane D
I'm not a critical listener and English is not major language, so please understand me that I can't explain the impressions of GS3000e sufficiently.

The GS3000e has just sound of grados
It has it's own unique special sound stages especially in strings and guitars music, and I really impressive about that.
The string melodies are close enough to enjoy, but not too close to feel uncomfortable. It's just relative comparison with other grados.
While enjoying music with the GS3000e, I was really surprised at the location of all the sounds.
Unfortunately the sub-base amount of GS3000e is just negligible like other grados.
Many people like the distortion and emphasis of grados, but the GS3000e is a little bit soft and more comfortable to listen to music than other harsh grados

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #40,917 of 65,796
Dear Shane D
I'm not a critical listener and English is not major language, so please understand me that I can't explain the impressions of GS3000e sufficiently.

The GS3000e has just sound of grados
It has it's own unique special sound stages especially in strings and guitars music, and I really impressive about that.
The string melodies are close enough to enjoy, but not too close to feel uncomfortable. It's just relative comparison with other grados.
While enjoying music with the GS3000e, I was really surprised at the location of all the sounds.
Unfortunately the sub-base amount of GS3000e is just as negligible as other grados.
Many people like the distortion and emphasis of grados, but the GS3000e is a little bit soft and comfortable to listen to music.

Thank you!

Feb 17, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #40,918 of 65,796
The HP1000 is as close to Grado comes to a flat frequency response. Developed by Joseph Grado to diagnose his new recording microphone, the Holographic Scalera Array, their function was to be a detailed and accurate probe that he used to improve his recording microphone. He also, with the help of a former Marantz sound engineer, developed the HPA-1 headphone amp to go with these headphones.

Their sound, with the flat frequency response, sounds different than other Grados. It is incisive and detailed. It does not give the same fun U-shaped response that is associated with other Grados.
Thanks for kind response.
Actually the different sound made me more curios.
Fortunately,The HP1k is easier to get than PS1 but still costs a lot.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #40,919 of 65,796
Can anyone tell me something about ps1000e and gs2000e? I listen mostly pop, game/movie ost, which one is for me. Thanks
here is my comparison, from this post. Higher numbers are better.

88B97A7D-0BE9-4F2E-AD5D-A728B502A17B.png

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #40,920 of 65,796
Hi Grado lovers! Long time reader, first time poster here. I have my trusty SR80e and love it. I wanna try to upgrade, and have my eyes on the GS1000e. I have read a lot, but unfortunately am unable to listen and preview in my area since there are no dealers around. Would anyone here be able to shed some light as to what I can expect soundwise? I listen to rock, metal and jazz mainly. Have anyone done the same upgrade from the SR-series?

For Rock and Metal, my recommendation would be to go with the GH2. Or maybe the GH4 but I don't know if they sound like the GH2.

I have heard pretty much all the Grados through the years, and for the price it's hard to beat the GH2.

There's one pair available here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-grado-gh2-mint.924701/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back