Grado Fan Club!
Feb 9, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #40,879 of 66,259
EDIT: The Beautiful Audio Pads I'm using with the 'Open cell foam' inserts just to be clear.
I don't have the 'Reticulated foam' inserts. If ordering these pads new, they come with both foam inserts.

I tried the reticulated foam again recently. I found that it hurt the sound as it pushed the cups further from my ears. After less than 5 minutes I put the white foam back in.

Shane D

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #40,880 of 66,259
Anyone have any tips for someone with a set of Grado sr225e cans that are just a bit too bright?

Suggest you have a look at the following link to a 2011 post on Inner Fidelity that discusses the differences between Grado cushions on sound characteristics. I have not tried anything suggest here r tried all the different pads as I do not detect harsh treble on any of my Grados. The measurements and comments relate specifically to the SR225i model, so you may find something applicable to your situation. Good luck.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #40,881 of 66,259
I tried the reticulated foam again recently. I found that it hurt the sound as it pushed the cups further from my ears. After less than 5 minutes I put the white foam back in.

Shane D
First of all, I made a mistake in this post saying I'm using the "Open cell foam"...I'm actually using the "Reticulated foam".
In this video BA is showing the "Open cell foam" (white foam pads) which are stated to be "on the hard side".
The "Reticulated foam" (black netting) is not shown, but is stateing to be "on the soft side", this is what I'm using.
I'd think it would be the other way around, and the "Open cell foam" would be harder than the "Reticulated foam" but that's not what they're stating as seen below.

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 11.16.24 AM.png

I'm finding the "Reticulated foam" to be ultra soft because it's a netting, so even though I don't have the "Open cell foam" to compare, I just can't imagine it being softer than the netting used in the "reticulated foam". Am I missing something something here?

EDIT: I also don't see how the "Reticulated foam" could push the drivers further from your ears being they're so soft?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #40,882 of 66,259
First of all, I made a mistake in this post saying I'm using the "Open cell foam"...I'm actually using the "Reticulated foam".
In this video BA is showing the "Open cell foam" (white foam pads) which are stated to be "on the hard side".
The "Reticulated foam" (black netting) is not shown, but is stateing to be "on the soft side", this is what I'm using.
I'd think it would be the other way around, and the "Open cell foam" would be harder than the "Reticulated foam" but that's not what they're stating as seen below.

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 11.16.24 AM.png

I'm finding the "Reticulated foam" to be ultra soft because it's a netting, so even though I don't have the "Open cell foam" to compare, I just can't imagine it being softer than the netting used in the "reticulated foam". Am I missing something something here?

EDIT: I also don't see how the "Reticulated foam" could push the drivers further from your ears being they're so soft?

My open cell white foam is very soft. It is mushing down to the point where my cups are Very close to my ears. Still sounds great, but it got me curious. I dug out my reticulated "springs" put and put them in. They were pretty firm and kept the ear pad more extended. Maybe in time they crush down similar to the foam. On my initial try (less than 5 minutes), the reticulated pieces really kept their shape and pushed the ear cups far enough away to change the sound. I immediately went back to the white foam.

It may well be that the articulated pieces would compress after a few days/weeks, but I didn't care for the immediate change in sound.

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #40,883 of 66,259
Interesting.
Thanks for the verification on which is actually softer. As I mentioned, I would've definitely thought the reticulated foam would've been softer than the open cell foam. I'm going to email BA and see if I can just purchase the open cell foam and try it out.

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #40,884 of 66,259
Interesting.
Thanks for the verification on which is actually softer. As I mentioned, I would've definitely thought the reticulated foam would've been softer than the open cell foam. I'm going to email BA and see if I can just purchase the open cell foam and try it out.

I wish that white foam was just a Little bit more dense. It is SUPER comfortable, but my pads are really compressed.

Feb 9, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #40,885 of 66,259
I wish that white foam was just a Little bit more dense. It is SUPER comfortable, but my pads are really compressed.
Hi guys,
Was just intrigues to do a little experimentation with the foams in the BA pads on my GH2s. Been using the white stuff for quite a while, as Shane says very comfortable indeed. However, I started to feel the wer "collapsing" i.e. sitting tighter to my ears, and to my ears were absorbing sound in a different way. A week ago I tried to go back to the original L-cush and liked the sound a little better (despite the decline in comfort). Now I have switched to the "reticular" aka black foam on the BAs. Guess what, I am back in business. Despite they seem a little harder, they keep the distance to my ears and this - too me - right now - gives a "better" and maybe more clear and distinct sound.... We'll see if it wears off:)

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #40,886 of 66,259
Hi guys,
Was just intrigues to do a little experimentation with the foams in the BA pads on my GH2s. Been using the white stuff for quite a while, as Shane says very comfortable indeed. However, I started to feel the wer "collapsing" i.e. sitting tighter to my ears, and to my ears were absorbing sound in a different way. A week ago I tried to go back to the original L-cush and liked the sound a little better (despite the decline in comfort). Now I have switched to the "reticular" aka black foam on the BAs. Guess what, I am back in business. Despite they seem a little harder, they keep the distance to my ears and this - too me - right now - gives a "better" and maybe more clear and distinct sound.... We'll see if it wears off:)

I would be really curious to see if they start to compress on you as the white ones did. And if so, how much.

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #40,887 of 66,259
I would be really curious to see if they start to compress on you as the white ones did. And if so, how much.
I'll let you know. "Burn in" has now got a new dimension:)

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #40,888 of 66,259
New to Grado's guys. I have GH-1 use it a lot and like it, would RS1i compliment these or too close to bother?

Can anyone explain difference here, and please, try not to over exaggerate (I know it's easy to do this is a fun/exciting hobby).:beyersmile:

I use an amp, and used to listen to older rock/pop electric guitar based music but have moved to more modern rock/pop/post-punk even a touch of drum machines/keyboards lately.:flushed: Thanks!

Feb 10, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #40,889 of 66,259
New to Grado's guys. I have GH-1 use it a lot and like it, would RS1i compliment these or too close to bother?

Can anyone explain difference here, and please, try not to over exaggerate (I know it's easy to do this is a fun/exciting hobby).:beyersmile:

I use an amp, and used to listen to older rock/pop electric guitar based music but have moved to more modern rock/pop/post-punk even a touch of drum machines/keyboards lately.:flushed: Thanks!
Here is a comparison of the GH-1, the Grado Bushmills X, and the RS1i that I did here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-fan-club.530965/post-12056836 Higher numbers are better.

bushmills 3way.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back