Grado Fan Club!
Jul 7, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #39,976 of 65,682
I just returned a pair. Was very disappointed. Put about 50 hours on them waiting for to open up, never did. Everything you read about the muffled treble is true. RS2e's arrived Friday. Liked them much better right out of the box. They are keepers.

That this continues to be the impression of so many upon hearing the RS1e's
is just so interesting! To me, anyway. I remember being so eager to hear them
when they were first released - and also was so disappointed.

Some hints here and there that maybe Grado has been doing some tweaking
or tinkering with them...but still the reviews are just not terribly positive - though
they remain positive for their other headphones.

"(shakes head)"

Jul 7, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #39,978 of 65,682
I read a positive user review of the RS1e saying they need some seeerious burn-in time before the treble becomes defined. And that one cannot expect them to be a RS1i ver.2.

Unfortunately my dealer did not have them for audition so I alternated between PS500e and GS1000e with the intended source and concluded I likely cannot to wrong with a Grado ”in-between” them (both sounded great - I honestly prefered them to the Abyss Diana and Focal Stellia I also tried out, which is not saying they would scale up more with better electronics).

I’d just be very suprised if Grado ”failed” the RS1e as one can be inclined to believe reading diverse opinions. Upon asking Grado themselves they let me know RS1e is superior to RS2e in dynamics and transperancy, but that’s of course not saying things can be to our disliking with the overall sound signature. The one thing I made sure is to get a pair with a brown leather band so to have the latest version, if there is one...

Jul 7, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #39,979 of 65,682
That this continues to be the impression of so many upon hearing the RS1e's
is just so interesting! To me, anyway. I remember being so eager to hear them
when they were first released - and also was so disappointed.

Some hints here and there that maybe Grado has been doing some tweaking
or tinkering with them...but still the reviews are just not terribly positive - though
they remain positive for their other headphones.

"(shakes head)"

I had a pair of the first iteration of the RS1e, the ones with the proteuding drivers and was disappointed. I heard the latest version at CanJam SoCal and still felt they just weren't interesting compared to all the other good stuff on hand.

Jul 8, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #39,980 of 65,682
I'm after some grados for both home use and at work. I listen to jazz, rock, metal and classical and occasional hip hop. I can spend up to £800. Which grados would you people recommend? I'll be running them from either dx220, n6ii, sp1000 or fiio M11. I used to own 325e but had to sell them and currently have 60e.

Jul 9, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #39,981 of 65,682
Hey all..

Been a LONG time since browsing this site. I was wondering.. I have brand new unopened GH1 and GH2 headphones that I bought and have put them in safe storage. Do you think the value has or will go up?

Jul 9, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #39,982 of 65,682
A quick browse of the sales forum shows an unopened pair of GH1s was last offered in 2018. It was put up for sale for MSRP twice, but does not appear to have sold.

On the other hand, lightly used pairs usually sell pretty quickly. Check the forum for pricing.

Jul 9, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #39,983 of 65,682
Hey all..

Been a LONG time since browsing this site. I was wondering.. I have brand new unopened GH1 and GH2 headphones that I bought and have put them in safe storage. Do you think the value has or will go up?

I've been keeping my eye on new or lightly used GH2S - they seem to go in the 500-600 range (eBay goes much higher than that - perhaps you could get lucky there if you're looking to sell).

Jul 9, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #39,984 of 65,682
I recently added a second hand Rupert Neve Designs RNHP headphone amp to my collection. He is well known for his top quality studio gear, mixing consoles, etc. So far I have it tried it with several of my phones and am liking it very much, very neutral in my opinion.

I have found it a very good sonic marriage with any of my Grados that I have tried so far. At $549 retail and generally available at $499 I think this one bears some heavy consideration. It is styled in a no nonsense pro gear approach which you may or not fancy. I like it and it looks like nothing I have in my collection. The pot feels as good or better than any amp that I have owned or handled. Just adds to the enjoyment. Tracks perfectly without having detents which I happen to typically dislike.

Link below to the amp on his site. Check it out and do some surfing to see his other gear. Very impressive and he is now 92 yo.

https://rupertneve.com/products/rnhp-headphone-amplifier/

I've seen a few of his consoles in studios - the recording industry would be very different without his contributions..

Another cool pro amp is the one from little labs: https://www.littlelabs.com/monotor.html

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #39,985 of 65,682
Received my used original GS-1000 headphones yesterday. Going from a 325is to a GS-1000 is quite shocking. I mean the soundstage just expanded incredibly. My god what a difference. Mind you that I really love the grado 325is and think it sounds wonderful. Its a different sound for sure but I dig it. I don't know if I can listen to them again after hearing the GS-1000. It's like listening to music with a bag on my head....then someone lifts the bag up and the music expands and flows....it's a little shocking if I must admit.Now I would have never said that before as the 325 sounds damn good. I'm a fan for sure but the GS is just some all together different beast and the openess is crazy..

So now I am packing them up and shipping them to Grado today to have them completely gone through and serviced. With any luck they will arrive back around the same time as my HF3's. /crosses fingers.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #39,987 of 65,682
Just curious, is there a problem with them or are you just being extra cautious?

There is a problem for sure. They sound great and are in very nice looking condition but there is a slight noise in both transducers in the lower end of the frequency range. I experienced this very same thing in one transducer in my 325 which i bought off a member of head-fi a number of years ago. I seem to have that luck when it comes to Grado. Grado serviced them for me back then and they have worked beautifully ever since. I am now having Grado do the same for the GS1000 and I expect nothing but good things once they get returned.

I'd like to add that I inspected them for hair...none were found. It is a very slight buzz noise in both transducers and the right side is worse than the left. Some people might not detect it (like my wife) but I hear it clearly.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #39,988 of 65,682
It is a very slight buzz noise in both transducers and the right side is worse than the left. Some people might not detect it (like my wife) but I hear it clearly.

If you're anything like me, once you hear it, you fixate on it and listen for it constantly... I'm sure Grado will fix you up. Is it a flat rate for service?

Good luck!

Jul 10, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #39,989 of 65,682
If you're anything like me, once you hear it, you fixate on it and listen for it constantly... I'm sure Grado will fix you up. Is it a flat rate for service?

Good luck!

That is exactly me. Once I heard it (instantly) I could not stop listening to just it. I knew immediately that I would be sending them to Grado.

It is a flat rate as far as I know. They always send me a quote before shipping. The quote includes return shipping.

As an example the 325 cost me $45 for a full service and that included reversing all the lame mods the previous owner had done to them which is what most likely caused the issues and his reason for selling. This was back in 2015. (I should add that the mods that head-fier did were not evasive enough for Grado to deny working on them which is their policy. They will not service modded headphones unless the modding is mild.

The GS-1000 costs quite a bit more at $150 but that could be due to a multitude of reasons including inflation. Grado does fantastic work and I am happy to pay the money.

One thing I can take away from all this is not to buy Grado used any more. Both times I did so both sellers claimed perfectly working headphones would be sent in excellent condition and both times I got BS'd. But having them sent off to Grado is the best bet and considering the price I paid for the GS's and the cost to service them I still come out under the current going rate so I'm fine with it. And boy or boy when I could ignore that buzzing for a moment or two the cans sounded faaantastic.

If the new HF3's sound better I'm screwed...I won't know what to put on my head. lol I kinda have a hard time thinking they could. We'll see.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #39,990 of 65,682
I just returned a pair [of RS1e]. Was very disappointed. Put about 50 hours on them waiting for to open up, never did. Everything you read about the muffled treble is true.

The RS1e is the only model that uses a 50mm driver with L-cushions. I'm curious as to whether upgrading to the G-cushions alleviates the treble issue, as putting the G-cushions on a SR model makes them a screeching mess.

If the new HF3's sound better I'm screwed...I won't know what to put on my head. lol I kinda have a hard time thinking they could. We'll see.

I actually could see the HF3 sounding better than a number of more expensive models, given that in that one CanJam coverage article, Jonathan Grado is fully aware of Grado's divisive reputation, and that the HF3 was designed for a particular segment that has shunned the company in recent years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back