Grado Fan Club!
Jun 30, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #39,946 of 65,557
Does anyone know what these cans are based off of? Or what they most closely sound like? As in the GH1 or 325? trying to find some info on them...not finding much.

Never mind...it seems @pure5152 had a listen to them and said this: "Heard it in person and it sounds great, like a super rs2e, with better extension and soundstage."

That's better than expected. Ordered. I missed out on the GH2 and at this price I don't think I can pass on the HF3.

I liked the HF3 more than my early RS2 and felt it went sonically in the the direction of the GH2. I feel the GH2 edges out the HF3 but look at the difference in cost. This model is not really based on any particular models. John Grado wanted to design something special for a long desired new Head Fi Special Edition Grado. I thing he has succeeded beyond beyond any Head Fier's expectations. That he decided to also gift us with such an amazingly low price is the icing on the proverbial cake.

The HF3 I had listened to had accumulated well over 100 hours of play time as I had it in my possession for close to two weeks. They sounded very good when I first started listening but they continued to improve and evolve as the hours began to accrue. They really are refined, impactful and do have an excellent open and spatial aspect. These are really a slam dunk in my opinion and not to be missed.

Congratulations on placing your order......

Jul 1, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #39,947 of 65,557
I liked the HF3 more than my early RS2 and felt it went sonically in the the direction of the GH2. I feel the GH2 edges out the HF3 but look at the difference in cost. This model is not really based on any particular models. John Grado wanted to design something special for a long desired new Head Fi Special Edition Grado. I thing he has succeeded beyond beyond any Head Fier's expectations. That he decided to also gift us with such an amazingly low price is the icing on the proverbial cake.

The HF3 I had listened to had accumulated well over 100 hours of play time as I had it in my possession for close to two weeks. They sounded very good when I first started listening but they continued to improve and evolve as the hours began to accrue. They really are refined, impactful and do have an excellent open and spatial aspect. These are really a slam dunk in my opinion and not to be missed.

Congratulations on placing your order......

Thanks for sharing your impressions! I always miss this kind of stuff. Avid music lover but don't spend a lot of time in the forums. I couldn't pass these up at this price knowing they are limited edition and designed for us. I look forward to spending a lot of time with these.

Jul 1, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #39,948 of 65,557
In case anybody missed reading it, Grover Neville (over at inner/FIDELITY) had these words to say about how the HF-3's sounded:

"Next up was a company I had not expected to see at this CanJam, or really any CanJam ever. Grado Labs had a separate room outside the main event space, showing their third Head-Fi collaboration headphone, the HF-3, as well as a variety of the rest of their lineup and a few special editions. [...] I came away with a lot more respect for Grado’s design abilities, both after this conversation and after listening to the HF-3 Head-Fi collaboration. It looks much like a simpler RS headphone, and sounds nothing like any other Grado that I’ve heard. Theres smooth, balanced, bass, a relaxed midrange and open and very smooth treble. All of it does a great job of sounding both natural and clear, with a surprisingly good stage depth. No, bass didn’t extend to the most titanic low notes, it still had those awful foam pads and the overall sound profile isn’t going to give you HD800 levels of sound staging, but this thing certainly sounds like a headphone designed by folks who know what a competent modern headphone should sound like. While I feel I have a better understanding of what Grado’s target audience is, the HF-3 left me wishing they would do collaborations and on-off products like this more often."

Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...sson-audio-and-grado-labs#Mpj5mofc3IhSX0Rl.99

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #39,950 of 65,557
Interesting.
As my hf2 is a hybrid wood/metal design similar to ps500e, is that the same with the HF3 design?

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #39,953 of 65,557
I’ve just ordered gh2. Can’t wait!! Btw do you guys know where can I find good cable to connect my chord mojo to iphone?

3.5mm to 3.5mm? How long? I have two of these cables. One a custom cable I made which is about 3" long and the other is a Pangea which is a nicely built cable and works with my portable amp and iphone but it is 0.6 meter long. Works great on my desk.

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #39,954 of 65,557
IMG_0027.jpg I got a great custom cable from Shipibo Audio when they built my new custom Grado's ... here's what they look like:

IMG_0027.jpg

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #39,957 of 65,557
He's asking for some type of USB cable to connect an iPhone to his DAC. I can't help, I don't speak Apple.

I know what he is asking for as far as wanting a cable to use with iphone. I own an iphone too. a 3.5mm to 3.5mm will work between the iphone and Chord. No USB needed. But USB is an option that can be used though he did not clarify. The simplest way to go about this would be 3.5 to 3.5 coax spdif.

@marca56 As for the connectors:

The Chord has a micro USB, 3.5mm coax and toslink.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #39,958 of 65,557
I know what he is asking for as far as wanting a cable to use with iphone. I own an iphone too. a 3.5mm to 3.5mm will work between the iphone and Chord. No USB needed. But USB is an option that can be used though he did not clarify. The simplest way to go about this would be 3.5 to 3.5 coax spdif.

@marca56 As for the connectors:

The Chord has a micro USB, 3.5mm coax and toslink.

Is he asking about the Apple CCK (Camera Connector Kit)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back