Grado Fan Club!
Jun 26, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #39,916 of 65,548
Question about next Grado HP purchase.

I own both an SR-60 and SR-125 (L-pad) that are ~20 years old, and a GS2000e that's a couple years old. Owned a GS1000e that I never cared for. I had a PS2000e on loan from TTVJ, and loved it. Otherwise I own an AQ Nighthawk and a Senn 6xx

I'm finding that I actually prefer my 125s over the GS2000e in a majority of situations - the 125s are probably my favorite of all my phones. The midrange (voices, instruments) and presence are portrayed on the 125 in ways that are more pleasing, and more "real" to me (the soundstage is better on the GS2000e, but that's less important to me). Perhaps that means that the mids are more forward and closer on the 125, but apparently that's what I prefer.

That got me thinking that might be a model that takes the benefits of the 125s, and makes "more" of them - maybe same mids, but bigger soundstage. Would that be something like the RS2e/GH2/GH4 (or upcoming HF3), or the 325? Or maybe the PS500? Any suggestions?

The age of your SR125 and SR60 make me wonder if they are not "pinks". Is the cloth over the face of the driver discolored in any way that might resemble a shade of red/pink? I've found the pink driver variants to be special. They were tuned differently and have a lot more "soul" (for want of a better term) to my ears. They're especially good if you use TTVJ flat pads. I haven't really heard anything quite like them in later generations.

Jun 26, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #39,918 of 65,548
Good catch. My SR125 driver covers are pinkish - the SR60 I can't recall as my son borrowed them.

Those pink drivers are some of my favorites. I have a pair of SR80 ones I put in African Blackwood cups I've kept for some time now. Very special. They also used better cabling for a brief period in there. The sheathing was of a better quality of plastic.

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #39,919 of 65,548
I would suggest you reach out to the website within a day or two and then contact Grado Labs if there is still any difficulty. They should have the site readjusted within that time.
Thanks - in all my eagerness I forgot that I also have to consider import and local taxes.....

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #39,920 of 65,548
I want to buy new grado to my collection but I have no idea which one. At this moment I'm considering gh2 (I can still find one in UK) or hf3. At this moment I own rs1i, sr60, wooded sr80 and DIY ypsilon. What you suggest?

Jun 27, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #39,921 of 65,548
I’d suggest an over ear.... GS2000e, PS1000e, PS2000e, or on used market, GS1000e (used better than new for this one, as I found that it takes over 400 hours of burn in), GS1000i (truly great), GH1000, or PS1000 (another really good one).

Jun 27, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #39,923 of 65,548
The HF3 is a really great value and has the cache of being specifically offered to Head Fi members which I am sure will add to it's desirability once they are no longer available.

As good as the value/performance ratio is I do feel that the GH2 is still the better performer but does cost a bit more. Back to personal preferences but if I could only have one of the two and the $ difference was not a concern I would choose the GH2.

Buy both and and enjoy it all! Ha

Jun 27, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #39,925 of 65,548
I want to buy new grado to my collection but I have no idea which one. At this moment I'm considering gh2 (I can still find one in UK) or hf3. At this moment I own rs1i, sr60, wooded sr80 and DIY ypsilon. What you suggest?
which model do you like from your collection? do you want something a bit different or something better?

Jun 27, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #39,926 of 65,548

What source and which [headphone] amplifier do you own ? Some headphones sound better or worse depending on the source and/ or headphone amp used.

For example, I own the Grado GS1000i which can sound a bit too bright when paired with a neutral sounding amp. With my Violectric V281 headphone amplifier which is slightly on the warm side, the GS1000i sounds great.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #39,927 of 65,548
What source and which [headphone] amplifier do you own ? Some headphones sound better or worse depending on the source and/ or headphone amp used.

For example, I own the Grado GS1000i which can be on the bright side with a neutral sounding amp. With my Violectric V281 headphone amplifier the GS1000i sounds great.

I agree 100% in regards to amp matching and better combos. It is the main reason I have as many amps as I do in my collection. Sort of gives me a full array of amp sonics or "spices" as I like to call them to eventually decide what sounds better with what. In general I find Grados less amp fussy than many other headphones but it can still make a big difference if you can get a chance to hear some amps and find the one that brings out the best to your taste. Sometimes a good portion of the fun is in the journey.

Enjoy the ride, enjoy the destination.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #39,928 of 65,548
I have a Schiit Modi Multibit and Vali 2 to go along with my Grado SR80e, GW100 and now custom, Grado-like headset with Turbulent drivers and Shipibo Zebra wood cups and aluminum gimbals and rods. They sound warm, bright and clear. The custom set just sounds "real" and more immersive but they all sound great. Schiit and Grado's go together like wine and cheese or peanut butter and chocolate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back