Grado Fan Club!
Jul 2, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #39,961 of 65,682
I liked the HF3 more than my early RS2 and felt it went sonically in the the direction of the GH2. I feel the GH2 edges out the HF3 but look at the difference in cost. This model is not really based on any particular models. John Grado wanted to design something special for a long desired new Head Fi Special Edition Grado. I thing he has succeeded beyond beyond any Head Fier's expectations. That he decided to also gift us with such an amazingly low price is the icing on the proverbial cake.

The HF3 I had listened to had accumulated well over 100 hours of play time as I had it in my possession for close to two weeks. They sounded very good when I first started listening but they continued to improve and evolve as the hours began to accrue. They really are refined, impactful and do have an excellent open and spatial aspect. These are really a slam dunk in my opinion and not to be missed.

Congratulations on placing your order......
So you got me into this too..:wink: Don’t know if it was this pics or your remarks, but now I placed my order for the HF3s. Really don’t need a “competitor” to the GH2’s, but they do look nice.....hope the sound follows....

Jul 3, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #39,962 of 65,682
In case anybody missed reading it, Grover Neville (over at inner/FIDELITY) had these words to say about how the HF-3's sounded:

"Next up was a company I had not expected to see at this CanJam, or really any CanJam ever. Grado Labs had a separate room outside the main event space, showing their third Head-Fi collaboration headphone, the HF-3, as well as a variety of the rest of their lineup and a few special editions. [...] I came away with a lot more respect for Grado’s design abilities, both after this conversation and after listening to the HF-3 Head-Fi collaboration. It looks much like a simpler RS headphone, and sounds nothing like any other Grado that I’ve heard. Theres smooth, balanced, bass, a relaxed midrange and open and very smooth treble. All of it does a great job of sounding both natural and clear, with a surprisingly good stage depth. No, bass didn’t extend to the most titanic low notes, it still had those awful foam pads and the overall sound profile isn’t going to give you HD800 levels of sound staging, but this thing certainly sounds like a headphone designed by folks who know what a competent modern headphone should sound like. While I feel I have a better understanding of what Grado’s target audience is, the HF-3 left me wishing they would do collaborations and on-off products like this more often."

Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...sson-audio-and-grado-labs#Mpj5mofc3IhSX0Rl.99

"I spoke with Johnathan [sic] Grado a bit there and I get the distinct impression that he knows exactly how his headphones sound and are perceived...." And how is that? No need to be coy, Grover.

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #39,968 of 65,682
I put an order on a pair of RS1e... seems like one of the more disliked Grados of the E-generation, but I found a good price and I'm curious about them. I'll have them as a somewhat portable alternative with an ifi xDSD. I'll have PS2000e for home use and also the GW100 when traveling lightweight :)

Speaking of this last pair of phones (GW100), I noticed blueish marks on the surface visible when removing the cushions the other day. (See the pic below, centrally in front of the driver) I assumed it was just marks from a pen but inquiring with Grado, they offered to replace my pair. Anyone with GW100s who sees something similar on their pair? Grado GW100.jpg

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #39,969 of 65,682
It is likely nothing.
Maybe it might come off with a Lysol/Clorox wipe.

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #39,972 of 65,682
I recently added a second hand Rupert Neve Designs RNHP headphone amp to my collection. He is well known for his top quality studio gear, mixing consoles, etc. So far I have it tried it with several of my phones and am liking it very much, very neutral in my opinion.

I have found it a very good sonic marriage with any of my Grados that I have tried so far. At $549 retail and generally available at $499 I think this one bears some heavy consideration. It is styled in a no nonsense pro gear approach which you may or not fancy. I like it and it looks like nothing I have in my collection. The pot feels as good or better than any amp that I have owned or handled. Just adds to the enjoyment. Tracks perfectly without having detents which I happen to typically dislike.

Link below to the amp on his site. Check it out and do some surfing to see his other gear. Very impressive and he is now 92 yo.

https://rupertneve.com/products/rnhp-headphone-amplifier/

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #39,974 of 65,682
I put an order on a pair of RS1e... seems like one of the more disliked Grados of the E-generation, but I found a good price and I'm curious about them.
I just returned a pair. Was very disappointed. Put about 50 hours on them waiting for to open up, never did. Everything you read about the muffled treble is true. RS2e's arrived Friday. Liked them much better right out of the box. They are keepers.

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #39,975 of 65,682
I recently added a second hand Rupert Neve Designs RNHP headphone amp to my collection. He is well known for his top quality studio gear, mixing consoles, etc. So far I have it tried it with several of my phones and am liking it very much, very neutral in my opinion.

I have found it a very good sonic marriage with any of my Grados that I have tried so far. At $549 retail and generally available at $499 I think this one bears some heavy consideration. It is styled in a no nonsense pro gear approach which you may or not fancy. I like it and it looks like nothing I have in my collection. The pot feels as good or better than any amp that I have owned or handled. Just adds to the enjoyment. Tracks perfectly without having detents which I happen to typically dislike.

Link below to the amp on his site. Check it out and do some surfing to see his other gear. Very impressive and he is now 92 yo.

https://rupertneve.com/products/rnhp-headphone-amplifier/

Indeed, the RNHP is one of the better SS amps under $1k. I’ve owned it twice and it’d be on my short list if I was in the market again. Like @ESL-1 says, it plays very well with Grados, and in my experience especially with the PS1000. highly recommended to anyone looking to step up their headphone game, especially if they’re not interested in tubes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back