Grado Fan Club!
Apr 27, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #39,586 of 65,557
Hi Bob - I don't want to "infect" you with the idea that you need something better....unless you already have that bug. I loved my RS2e's. When I got flagship-crazy, I gave them to a music-loving non-audiophile friend who's been grooving on them for a few years. Many people will tell you, truthfully, that the most important pleasures of music can come from (relatively) modest items.....c'mon, modest? Those cost several c-notes, they're punchy, and harmonically rich, and detailed, etc. If you're upgrading among the Grado's, its easy to just go for more expensive - but, while in absolute terms, the GS1000e, at a grand, is "better" - it may not be as gripping or immediate for some tastes, although it does audiophile things better -soundstage, extension, a degree of harmonic accuracy. But, again, people have been moved to tears and love and joy from music on modest equipment forever, and the RS2e ain't modest.For most music lovers, it would seem a pure extravagance For my tastes, the PS2000e and GS3000e are, with different strengths, as close to perfect as I could want. The heritage models have something special - if you can get your hands on them, the pine and cocobolo models are different, and have a certain magic. But, though I've spent way too much on audio gear, I've often bought LESS expensive components simply because they moved me in a way. I've been favoring my GS3000e over my previously-holy-grail PS2000e probably five hours to one, despite $1000 difference, and likely a greater degree of some abstract sort of accuracy and control in the PS model. I FEEL the feelings of the music and musician more purely through the lighter weight, less expensive wooden statements, while I always preferred he PS models over the GS before. Personal taste - but one example of how the money doesn't translate into greater satisfaction maybe yes, maybe no, but with many things in life, more elaborate or expensive doesn't have to mean greater pleasure or effectiveness....not even counting objective standards. I've driven Mini Coopers for several years. I could have gone up to small BMW's, same dealer, and the BMW has more refined design and "stuff" - but whenever I test drive, I both have more fun with the mini's, and REALLY feel better because I also spend less money. You asked what would be an upgrade. If you have the bucks, listen to the most expensive model you can afford. REALLY listen, not for "wow" qualities, but for how the music FEELS. And then listen to different mirage models - see if the RS 1 makes a difference. See if you can get a hold of some of the limited edition models of which some are still around - the GH are special, as I said. Try the PS500 - smaller, different kind of focus. Listen for musical pleasure, not for reasons to justify spending more money. Try upgrading electronics.....for the money, Schiit are the best in the world. Dome would say not the best period - but for a great many people, the best value for dollar possible, and possibly as good, and as good a match, as anything at all, connoisseur cred set aside for the purpose of simply listening to, and feeling, the music. I hope this lecture is helpful. Because though I've neurotically had to keep listening for what the end-game sounds like, and have found audio bliss in the two top models with next-to-top Schiit electronics, if I were a little less wonky, I'd probably had just kept the RS2e until they wore out, with the less expensive Schiit electronics. Its all about the music - not the prestige (not the headphone model, the social status). And how the music makes you feel. Ownership of shiny objects is a different thing. Only your ears and hear will tell you truthfully, if you ignore equipment-envy.

Thanks for that! Really appreciate you taking the time. I did find a pair of GH2's online for $600. I'm selling my Gs100e's if anyone interested.

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #39,587 of 65,557
Yes they scale extremely well and are great with rock/small jazz ensembles. I've owned something like 7-8 pairs of 325 variants throughout the years.

The 325e, in my opinion, is the worst iteration of the 325. Even the original 325 sounds better, 325i being the best, 325is second best in my book. They are an incredible value.

That said, they are still a far cry from the detail/resolution of the GS and PS lines (the GH models seem to come closer to those in terms of sheer sound quality, while still keeping the Grado fun factor).

Youre not overspending regardless of which Grado model you go for. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Personally, the GH2 is currently my favorite Grado. Its got the fun factor, the grit of the 325, and comes close to the level of detail of the PS line without losing that fun factor and ruining the "in your face" soundstage that GS/PS lines wider cups/drivers do not have, and is an absolute must for me.

I have not heard the PS1 (probably will be my favorite Grado, but they are rare and super expensive now) or the HP2. Those 2 might change my mind once I hear them.

The 325 is a great set of cans, still best bang for your buck, but theres a reason I sold my 7th (or is it 8th?) pair after I got the GH2. If you go back a few pages in this thread youll see that I was extremely wary of some opinions praising the GH2 so highly before i gave them a listen (mostly because I fell for the HF2 hype and was extremely disappointed), but now I will probably never go back.

I also think the RS2e and RS1 (pink drivers) are amazing and while theyre a different flavor from the 325, there are drastic improvements. They are totally worth the money.

The PS/GS lines are pricey, and overall I haven't heard an "e" model i preferred over non "e" models, but that is still a matter of preference. There is no doubt that GS/PS Grados perform better than the rest in terms of detail and resolution. The loss of the "fun factor" and/or "in your face" soundstage is what killed the deal for me, but there are plenty of people who are satisfied with their GS or PS models, for good reason.

when I say they are "the sweet spot in the lineup" I am talking about what the average consumer has access to...meaning, if someone pops up on here and says I want the best Grado I can get for the least amount of money...I think the 325e is really good sounding and $300 is the MOST I can recommend someone spend on a Grado considering their quality/price ratio. Do not make me talk again about the rod blocks and the pads and all that...
You want to talk about all the other iterations that are no longer available retail, that's fine, but now we are back in the Grado Cult discussion area and I am not interested in arguing religion. Perhaps there is some magical special Grado out there, but I do not advise anyone drinking the Flavor Aid and spending all their allowance trying to find it...you want a really good taste of the Grado flavor, WITHOUT joining the cult? Get a 325e...it sounds great, the quality overall is a little dodgy (JUST LIKE all the other Grados) but it's the sweet spot in the lineup....I mean, unless you know a guy and can get the RS2e for the same price then maybe go for that (I do know a guy, I can get a new RS2e for the price of a 325e...I haven't done it, because I'm not convinced it's worth it) but otherwise, in the grand scheme of headphone ephemera, I can only in good conscience recommend the 325e.....lol, I joke about Grado being a cult, yet with every response, it feels more and more cultlike and insular...just saying...

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #39,588 of 65,557
So whats the consensus here of the greatest Grado?

My opinion is still HP1000 polarity switch version.

is this still the rank for everyone?

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #39,589 of 65,557

I would love to try the hp1000 to see if they are as good as their reputation. But given that it’s an old model and expensive in the second hand market, it’s hard to convince myself of buying a pair. From the ones I own the PS2000e is the best.

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #39,590 of 65,557
Apr 28, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #39,591 of 65,557

I not think so.. they are out of rank i would say. HP1000 are very different form others. They where made by Grado it would say not to enjoy music, but to study/measure music character to tune his micrifions. What I mean, as I say before after listening GS1000i or RS1 (pink).. I look at them as musical instrument, they are very musical. But when I take HP1000 they really like precise tool to evaluate music. They very neutral and honest. They not crazy analytic, but they demonstrate all spectrum very balanced to you, they very well reconstruct scene. If I need to hear character of different DACs, Amp, cable.. they do it best. But if i need to have fun and rock and roll, I go for GS1000i and RS1. This to lines are very different to me. Can't be easy ranked. But agree HP1000 is very unique. I guess the sicret is a good driver membrane right at your ears plus hard small resonating contraction.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #39,592 of 65,557
Your pair is more expensive than the the legendary HP1000v1
I seen pairs around 2k , 2.5k the highest is 3k. But you can bargain the 3k price for the hp1000
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113712694138?ul_noapp=true
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192898292386?ul_noapp=true

its cheap to say the least! i recommend to pick one up :)
The main difference is that you get a brand new ps2000e and Grado has parts in case something fails while the hp1000 are old and Grado doesn’t have replacement drivers. I stay away from expensive old stuff that cannot be fixed.

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #39,593 of 65,557
I do know a guy, I can get a new RS2e for the price of a 325e...I haven't done it, because I'm not convinced it's worth it

If you can get an RS2e for the price of a 325e I would do it. I’ve never heard a flagship Grado so I won’t speculate on value beyond the RS2e, but having used both these models I think when you listen to the RS2e you know where the extra $200 went. For the same price as a 325e it’s a no brainer.

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #39,594 of 65,557
Thanks for that! Really appreciate you taking the time. I did find a pair of GH2's online for $600. I'm selling my Gs100e's if anyone interested.

You will be very happy with them.
If you are in the US, wasn't that the retail price new?
Up here in Canada they were $949.00 new which is about $600.00ish American.

Shane D

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #39,595 of 65,557
I not think so.. they are out of rank i would say. HP1000 are very different form others. They where made by Grado it would say not to enjoy music, but to study/measure music character to tune his micrifions. What I mean, as I say before after listening GS1000i or RS1 (pink).. I look at them as musical instrument, they are very musical. But when I take HP1000 they really like precise tool to evaluate music. They very neutral and honest. They not crazy analytic, but they demonstrate all spectrum very balanced to you, they very well reconstruct scene. If I need to hear character of different DACs, Amp, cable.. they do it best. But if i need to have fun and rock and roll, I go for GS1000i and RS1. This to lines are very different to me. Can't be easy ranked. But agree HP1000 is very unique. I guess the sicret is a good driver membrane right at your ears plus hard small resonating contraction.
Indeed, Joseph Grado invented (designed?) the HP1000 in his quest to diagnose his new Holographic Scalera Scanner, which was a novel way to record musical performances with a pair of carefully matched, carefully positioned, carefully phased microphones. No headphone at the time provided the flat, precise capability of the HP1000, and it is the most neutral of the Grados. None of this fun stuff like coloration that have become the hallmark of Grados today. (Mr. Grado then designed/invented, with some help, the HPA-1 headphone amp -- his HP1000 was packaged with the schematic for a resistive divider to instruct on how to take the speaker output and step it down to drive the HP1000, a step necessitated by the absence of portable headphone amps prior to the HPA-1).

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #39,597 of 65,557
If you can get an RS2e for the price of a 325e I would do it. I’ve never heard a flagship Grado so I won’t speculate on value beyond the RS2e, but having used both these models I think when you listen to the RS2e you know where the extra $200 went. For the same price as a 325e it’s a no brainer.

Love the RS2e's

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #39,598 of 65,557
I've tried some wooden ones including one that looked like RS2e, and I didn't like the sound of it. The other two woods looked like GS2000, and sounded off as well. What puzzles me is, 325e sounded the best, which is way lower in price.

Is that pricing done based on how it looks mainly (with wood finish)? Which isn't right. Pricing seem kinda random to me in terms of sound performance level.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #39,599 of 65,557
Thanks. I found an even better price here.

Even better! I pair them with a Burson amp and the combo is Amazing. Enjoy.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back