1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Grado Fan Club!

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by vikingatheart, Dec 29, 2010.
  1. Bob Ley
    Thanks for that! Really appreciate you taking the time. I did find a pair of GH2's online for $600. I'm selling my Gs100e's if anyone interested.

2. Cruelhand Luke
    when I say they are "the sweet spot in the lineup" I am talking about what the average consumer has access to...meaning, if someone pops up on here and says I want the best Grado I can get for the least amount of money...I think the 325e is really good sounding and $300 is the MOST I can recommend someone spend on a Grado considering their quality/price ratio. Do not make me talk again about the rod blocks and the pads and all that...
    You want to talk about all the other iterations that are no longer available retail, that's fine, but now we are back in the Grado Cult discussion area and I am not interested in arguing religion. Perhaps there is some magical special Grado out there, but I do not advise anyone drinking the Flavor Aid and spending all their allowance trying to find it...you want a really good taste of the Grado flavor, WITHOUT joining the cult? Get a 325e...it sounds great, the quality overall is a little dodgy (JUST LIKE all the other Grados) but it's the sweet spot in the lineup....I mean, unless you know a guy and can get the RS2e for the same price then maybe go for that (I do know a guy, I can get a new RS2e for the price of a 325e...I haven't done it, because I'm not convinced it's worth it) but otherwise, in the grand scheme of headphone ephemera, I can only in good conscience recommend the 325e.....lol, I joke about Grado being a cult, yet with every response, it feels more and more cultlike and insular...just saying...

3. protoss
    So whats the consensus here of the greatest Grado?

My opinion is still HP1000 polarity switch version.

is this still the rank for everyone?

4. elira
    I would love to try the hp1000 to see if they are as good as their reputation. But given that it’s an old model and expensive in the second hand market, it’s hard to convince myself of buying a pair. From the ones I own the PS2000e is the best.

5. protoss
  6. odessamarin
    I not think so.. they are out of rank i would say. HP1000 are very different form others. They where made by Grado it would say not to enjoy music, but to study/measure music character to tune his micrifions. What I mean, as I say before after listening GS1000i or RS1 (pink).. I look at them as musical instrument, they are very musical. But when I take HP1000 they really like precise tool to evaluate music. They very neutral and honest. They not crazy analytic, but they demonstrate all spectrum very balanced to you, they very well reconstruct scene. If I need to hear character of different DACs, Amp, cable.. they do it best. But if i need to have fun and rock and roll, I go for GS1000i and RS1. This to lines are very different to me. Can't be easy ranked. But agree HP1000 is very unique. I guess the sicret is a good driver membrane right at your ears plus hard small resonating contraction.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    protoss and ruthieandjohn like this.
  7. elira
    The main difference is that you get a brand new ps2000e and Grado has parts in case something fails while the hp1000 are old and Grado doesn’t have replacement drivers. I stay away from expensive old stuff that cannot be fixed.

joseph69 and protoss like this.
  8. Rwit
    If you can get an RS2e for the price of a 325e I would do it. I’ve never heard a flagship Grado so I won’t speculate on value beyond the RS2e, but having used both these models I think when you listen to the RS2e you know where the extra $200 went. For the same price as a 325e it’s a no brainer.

gregorya likes this.
  9. Shane D
    You will be very happy with them.
    If you are in the US, wasn't that the retail price new?
    Up here in Canada they were $949.00 new which is about $600.00ish American.

Shane D

10. ruthieandjohn
    Indeed, Joseph Grado invented (designed?) the HP1000 in his quest to diagnose his new Holographic Scalera Scanner, which was a novel way to record musical performances with a pair of carefully matched, carefully positioned, carefully phased microphones. No headphone at the time provided the flat, precise capability of the HP1000, and it is the most neutral of the Grados. None of this fun stuff like coloration that have become the hallmark of Grados today. (Mr. Grado then designed/invented, with some help, the HPA-1 headphone amp -- his HP1000 was packaged with the schematic for a resistive divider to instruct on how to take the speaker output and step it down to drive the HP1000, a step necessitated by the absence of portable headphone amps prior to the HPA-1).

protoss likes this.
  11. Bob Ley
    Thanks. I found an even better price here.

12. Bob Ley
    Love the RS2e's

13. SilverEars
    I've tried some wooden ones including one that looked like RS2e, and I didn't like the sound of it. The other two woods looked like GS2000, and sounded off as well. What puzzles me is, 325e sounded the best, which is way lower in price.

Is that pricing done based on how it looks mainly (with wood finish)? Which isn't right. Pricing seem kinda random to me in terms of sound performance level.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  14. Shane D
    Even better! I pair them with a Burson amp and the combo is Amazing. Enjoy.

Shane D

15. Bob Ley
    Any comments on GS1000e's