Grado Fan Club!
Jul 19, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #38,404 of 65,693
Just received my RS1i. Sounds much more expansive than the price I paid for it. Amazing for older Rock/Pop recordings due to less details and more engaging sound, I don't think any headphone in my collection beats it for these genres.

the rs1i is one of my all time favorites, it does have that special something, I say it's got soul.
yes, i find it's GREAT for rock, blues and jazz

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #38,406 of 65,693
the rs1i is one of my all time favorites, it does have that special something, I say it's got soul.
yes, i find it's GREAT for rock, blues and jazz

Not to mention the fun factor
Just received my RS1i. Sounds much more expansive than the price I paid for it. Amazing for older Rock/Pop recordings due to less details and more engaging sound, I don't think any headphone in my collection beats it for these genres.

This headphone is so much fun too!
Transparency in spades, and man those guitars sound so good!

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #38,408 of 65,693
Has anyone found a way to make Grados comfortable? I have the SR60, probably the least comfortable headphone I own (on-ear scratch pads, yuck, plus nasty sound, plus Grado rattle), and the Grado SR325 have mostly on-ear same low quality packing foam pads. The SR325 are slightly more comfortable but start hurting the ears quickly. Combined with the thick, garbo-plastic, non-removable cable set as close to the face as possible, I really dislike these headphones ergonomically. (Almost any other double sided can puts the cable as far to the back as possible).

I'm giving the SR325s another listening test to compare a new open back can I bought, they were sitting in my junk headphone box along with the SR60s due to comfort, and i'm now realizing I'm digging the sound signature and bass extension more than I remembered (I'm not a bass head and these have good, refined resolution into the bass). I'd like to mod these cans to be as over-ear as possible, without paying $20 for more packing foam. What do I do?

Also, I'm not sure how to interpret the "spot the square wave" horrific measurements by Tyll: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR325.pdf. The 300hz square wave is, well, non-existent, but I don't hear graininess in the treble that I would expect from that measurement?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #38,409 of 65,693
Has anyone found a way to make Grados comfortable? I have the SR60, probably the least comfortable headphone I own (on-ear scratch pads, yuck, plus nasty sound, plus Grado rattle), and the Grado SR325 have mostly on-ear same low quality packing foam pads. The SR325 are slightly more comfortable but start hurting the ears quickly. Combined with the thick, garbo-plastic, non-removable cable set as close to the face as possible, I really dislike these headphones ergonomically. (Almost any other double sided can puts the cable as far to the back as possible).

I'm giving the SR325s another listening test to compare a new open back can I bought, they were sitting in my junk headphone box along with the SR60s due to comfort, and i'm now realizing I'm digging the sound signature and bass extension more than I remembered (I'm not a bass head and these have good, refined resolution into the bass). I'd like to mod these cans to be as over-ear as possible, without paying $20 for more packing foam. What do I do?

Also, I'm not sure how to interpret the "spot the square wave" horrific measurements by Tyll: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR325.pdf. The 300hz square wave is, well, non-existent, but I don't hear graininess in the treble that I would expect from that measurement?

I know it is terrible wearing these for hours, the best way is to get the GS1000e or GS2000e, they are super comfy and sounds terrific.

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #38,410 of 65,693

Any change to the pad will affect its original sound, its up to you, some people may like it. You can tray
Grado Headphone Replacement Cushion G

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #38,412 of 65,693

Like the poster above mentioned try out a G-pad, either $40 OEM G-pad or a few of the $4-6 generic ones from ebay, and yes the sound will change a bit but only you can say if its good or bad. FWIW if it wasn't for G-pads I wouldn't have any Grado headphones since the flat and L-pads are way to uncomfortable for me also.
As for the cables I've made all of mine removable using SMC jacks like these on my RS2e:
RS2e_Refinished-SMC.jpg
Also fitted with G-pads

Jul 20, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #38,413 of 65,693
IMHO you can not jump that easily from flats to G pads..
It will change sound dramatically, especially on the models designed differently.
HP1000, RS1.. they made to have driver diaphragm just next to you ears (very close).. And honestly, I think this one of the particularity/magic of this models.
This way the micro timing (signal phase) is more preserved, making sound really 3D (magic).. where in hi-res recording you can hear difference in every string.. and how it goes not only left/right.. but in deep direction. Something really fantastic.
And I think technically its very difficult to design this type, i mean to keep driver on top of your ear and make all frequency specter balanced.. no harsh highs, forward middle or boomy bass. This is real art what Grado did here.
And for me, after I start to hear it and understand (thanks HP1000 and classic RS) the presanse of highs, mids or bass is really get secondary.. the most importand is timing (phase).. here you start to feel music not just to hear.
Incredible feeling (i am sure some of you understand what i mean). It making me somehow even smile when I see now discussions about more forward mids.. good bass, shine highs.. and so on.. It's good as secondary additional colloration of music, but deferentially not as important as to preserve time (phase) dinamics. Sad that some amps can easly destroy this too..
Now putting G pads or any other alternatives will just destroy all this. I did try.. it's true. In case of HP, RS you will complexly loose bass impact and all timing dynamics.
The same is true for GS/PS seria. Putting them close (flats pads) will bring original strong bass.. to booomy mass which will cover all the rest.
So, one can play with pads for comfort, but keep in mind they were made for each model by purpose.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #38,415 of 65,693

Have a look at the C-Pad mods that Larry at Headphile does. I hesitate to endorse a fellow MoT (I think its against the rules), but he's been doing that mod for a long time. I've tried it too, and it makes minimal difference to the sound signature while drastically increasing comfort. The only downside is, it means adjusting your headband slightly, and it makes them heavier/larger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back