Grado Fan Club!
Jul 17, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #38,387 of 65,674
280 and free shipping. The seller seems to be legit with transaction history going back more than a year. He gave me a tracking number yesterday, but according to USPS, the package hasn't make it to a USPS facility yet. So fingers crossed, hope I will receive the headphone eventually.

that's a great deal ! congrats

Jul 17, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #38,388 of 65,674
Hi, im pretty new to Grado and would like to do some mods on my SR80e headphones, any help would be appreciated :) so i found these on ebay and was wondering if they would improve the sound? i know aluminium and wood sound different
but i think metal looks cooler. would anyone suggest i get these? thankyou in advance.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173412764638?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

check out this thread :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/post-your-grado-mods.119314/

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #38,389 of 65,674
https://www.dwell.com/article/brooklyn-grado-labs-headphones-prestige-sr325e-9ed91b6f

John is now preparing his sons, Jonathan and Matthew, to take the business into a new generation. The younger Grados, both in their 20s, have already made their mark by introducing a slick new brand identity and inking collaborations with such companies as Dolce & Gabbana. Soon, Grado will introduce its first Bluetooth-equipped speakers.

As his business has grown—Grado now ships more than 150,000 units a year—John has received the occasional acquisition offer. But he says he’d rather close his business than see it fall into the wrong hands: "I often said if the boys weren’t interested, we’d ride off into the sunset. That’s better than having someone else make a shoddy product under our name."

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #38,390 of 65,674
9DDCB3DD-A299-4665-9266-0EDFA7F8557A.jpeg 28856107-11A7-4E52-9E97-61A9CCD057DC.jpeg Some leaked photos

(Source: https://m.weibo.cn/1311376432/4255889806647298)

I guess I’m a bit disappointed cos these don’t look like the free systems models at all. But at least they didn’t follow the eGrado style. The blogger said it should be retailed for a little more than 1000 CNY, which could be about 150 - 200 USD I think.

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #38,392 of 65,674
Jul 18, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #38,394 of 65,674
Some leaked photos

(Source: https://m.weibo.cn/1311376432/4255889806647298)

I guess I’m a bit disappointed cos these don’t look like the free systems models at all. But at least they didn’t follow the eGrado style. The blogger said it should be retailed for a little more than 1000 CNY, which could be about 150 - 200 USD I think.

Was just about to share a link to this thread to make the good folks here aware of this. To be sure, this is a genuine departure from traditional Grado design. I figured these cans had the younger Grado boys' fingerprints all over them. Some will be disappointed, but there might be some who are happy to see an evolution. I have mixed feelings personally.

Looking back at how the SR series started, I think its safe to say that this is a first step, and if it works out, there will be more expensive models with higher-end materials....wood, aluminium, etc....I can't help but draw parallels between the model numbers. Back in the day there was the SR100. Now we have the GW100.

I know I really want to hear a pair, and am already wondering if I'll be able to make wooden cups/sleeves, whatever for them. And I currently don't even use BT headphones at all...

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #38,395 of 65,674
I own the old PS1000, GS1000, and PS500, driven by RA1. Now I want to try the tube amp, any recommendation?
Will the massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) be a good fit? Thanks.
I was happy with the RA1 for quite a while with my Grados: e.g GH2, GS2000e. Wished as you to try a tube amp, but stumbled over the graham solo ultra diamond edition. I am so happy with this as it does provide the warmth of a tube amp. However, if you wish to roll tubes, this will not be your solution. But check this out
https://www.hifisystemcomponents.co...solo-ultra-linear-de-headphone-amplifier.html

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #38,396 of 65,674
I hope some of you enjoy the summation of my findings about my SR225e's it's taken me a long time to reach this conclusion
as to why I generally prefer the SR225E over the GS1000i

I’m a low to medium volume listener, ....this is crucial to this post

I love a headphone that portrays all artist's impact even at very low volumes

The GS1000i is a very smooth sounding headphone, very resolving, weighty yet smooth

It also requires much more juice to sound good, it needs at least medium volume to sound right whereas 225E even sounds great at low volume (of course the latter is much more efficient, requires much less power for the same volume). Also, once I reversed the cushions on the 225e's and try to avoid having my reading glasses arms behind my ears, very comfortable and lighter in weight than the GS1000i's.

I think of the 225e as the ultimate version the SR80e - the sound Grado ultimately intended, from the design/materials was the 225(e), then came out with the lower cost models as more affordable yet somewhat lower performance. (I have the 80e and love them as a low cost, take everywhere Grado!)

The 225e has some sharpness/grit to the sound, like turning up the sharpness filter in PhotoShop just to the point where resolution and detail sounds perfect at lower volumes

At customary higher volumes, such as many/most listeners enjoy, the sound can sound harsh - I believe that Grado optimizes their headphones to sound best at below loud volumes, especially lower to low-medium (at least for the Grado's in my experience)

...this helps to explain the polarizing opinions on Grado’s - those that find the highs are piercing, sound is too sharp, etc. are listening at much higher levels than they were designed for.

When listening to pop/rock/jazz at lower volumes through my setup, the 225e is lacking NOTHING…all of the weight, tonal colour, intimacy, emotion, soul, coherence, you name it is there
…NOTHING missing!

Technically there are characteristics that can be heard but these are quickly forgotten as I get immersed in the music!

The overall sound/musical quality, sonic weight and balance of performance is such my mind/brain stops analyzing and I find the original musical performance there, in all of its qualities.

Even though the GS1000i is technically a better performer, I usually reach for them when I want a break/something different….maybe 15% of the time. I’m glad I have them but if had to give one up, it would be the GS1000i’s (I’m keeping them though and love them!).

Having said the above, it’s crucial to listen for yourself, they appeal to my tastes, system and listening levels but won’t for everybody….YMMV!
I also consider myself as a low to medium volume guy, and have GH2 and GS2000e as my favorites. If I had to chose one, it would probably be the GH2 as I grab this most of the times. But it struck me that maybe it’s because I use the tvvj flat pads on the GH2. It provides a much more punchy an intimate sound compared with the more bigger and detailed sound of the GS2ke. Could it be the same for the comparison you’re making between the 225s and GS1000i?

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #38,397 of 65,674
All of you who was/is happy with RA1. Please just try Chord Mojo or Hugo.. directly.. then come here and tell me what you heared!!! :wink:
Almost sure you will offer me a beer )

PS be prepared, it will make you a bit upset...

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #38,400 of 65,674
I also consider myself as a low to medium volume guy, and have GH2 and GS2000e as my favorites. If I had to chose one, it would probably be the GH2 as I grab this most of the times. But it struck me that maybe it’s because I use the tvvj flat pads on the GH2. It provides a much more punchy an intimate sound compared with the more bigger and detailed sound of the GS2ke. Could it be the same for the comparison you’re making between the 225s and GS1000i?

If you find yourself consistently preferring the GH2 over a long time - say several months and on - I’d say yes, similar to my situation.

I find the 225e’s at low volumes and in my setup just sound so right and balanced - not to mention lightweight, comfortable (in my case with the pads reversed) and so easy to drive - that I just get immersed in the music and performance consistently and contentedly.

Still, while objectively the 225e’s meet my mininimum sound quality requirements - the GH2’s I’m sure are better sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back