Grado Fan Club!
Nov 26, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #36,841 of 65,584
Since I only had the original RS1e (the bad one which was returned for the RS2e) and my RS2e and SR225e are both modded (dynamat in the cups for both and on back of SR225e driver, generic G-pads on both) don't put much weight on my impressions.
The RS2e has some of the smoothest highs of all the headphones I've heard and has a touch more of the "brilliant sound" that you liked in the SR225e but the SR225e seems to be more receptive to mods than the RS2e but there is nothing you can do to the SR225e to get the smooth extended highs of the RS2e. The RS1e was a bit disappointing and it was only after returning them that many more reviews started to also say it was a disappointment and I haven't heard the newer version so I can't say how it would compare to the RS2e.

To most of my friends the SR225e is the sweet spot in the Grado line up between price and performance so only you can say if the RS2e or RS1e is worth the cost over the SR225e.
Thanks for your impression. I just placed an order for RS2e today. Miss that open feeling when listening to 225 too. :)

I did it!

I DID IT!!!

I DID IT!!!!

I ordered both the Grado PS2000e and the Grado GS2000e from my local Grado distributor, Overture Audio, Ann Arbor, MI. I got them both in balanced mode. They have a single-ended GS2000e in stock... listened to it and salivated while the order was being written up.

Likely to be here in two weeks or so.
Wow, that looks amazing. :) I'm already salivating just looking at them. Congrats!

Nov 26, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #36,842 of 65,584
Ok, I just got my pair of RS2e. So far I'm loving it! :) It sounds amazing out of my laptop, and DAP. Lovely smooth treble, open airy stage, accurate natural timbre, breathy warm vocals, balanced tonality, amazing transparency, and effortless separation. It doesn't have a super-wide stage, but it has the lovely Grado sound. I like it so much, that now am planning to purchase the PS1000e this near future. :D

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #36,843 of 65,584
@ruthieandjohn
From previous posts you quite highly rate the GS1000i. I am wondering if the drivers in the GS1000i you got is fit flush to the body of the housing or are they slightly raised like how the drivers are mounted in some of RS1e?

The reason I am asking is I have a GS1000 and a GS1000i both with the newer red drivers (the GS1000 has its drivers replaced). The drivers of the GS1000 is fit flush to the body of the housing and the driver of the GS1000i is not. For a while I couldn't quite figure out why they sound so different, until I take a look under the ear pad.

I am therefore a bit curious as to the version you got.

Nov 26, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #36,844 of 65,584
My GF and most of her girl friends usually put their hair up so the ear pads are resting mostly unobstructed on their head since they all say that hair between the driver and ears changes the sound too much to them, it creates a bit of a "veiled" sound to them. I also push my hair aside when listening to headphones but what hair that covers my ears is no where near as thick as the girls. I do know that if my hair gets a little long my LCD-2 will easily slide of if I look down since the leather faced pads slide easily on my hair and my GF doesn't even bother using the LCD-2 since its just too heavy for her.

Thinking about it, my L-cush pads were so old and gotten so flat that my ears were touching the drivers which i didn't notice as much until i had my haircut, so it might of been that i noticed more.

Here's a question for anyone to answer.

Can you stretch out the metal in the headband too much and it effect sound?

Grados do get quite a bit of stick for comfort, but the lightness and lack of clamp made them become pretty darn comfy for me after the pads became softer and i stretched the headband out some.

Nov 26, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #36,845 of 65,584
21BC7AAE-947B-40C8-9934-59F74522F793.jpeg
@ruthieandjohn
From previous posts you quite highly rate the GS1000i. I am wondering if the drivers in the GS1000i you got is fit flush to the body of the housing or are they slightly raised like how the drivers are mounted in some of RS1e?

The reason I am asking is I have a GS1000 and a GS1000i both with the newer red drivers (the GS1000 has its drivers replaced). The drivers of the GS1000 is fit flush to the body of the housing and the driver of the GS1000i is not. For a while I couldn't quite figure out why they sound so different, until I take a look under the ear pad.

I am therefore a bit curious as to the version you got.

Indeed my GS1000i is my favorite Grado so far. Its drivers are completely flush, as the picture shows.

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #36,846 of 65,584
is it possible if the ps1000e drivers fit completely flush, it might sound better? i really do think the slightly raised fit because they changed the driver diameter and it didn't fit to the old chasis, so they did it like that. you know typical grado's frankenstein magic

Nov 26, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #36,847 of 65,584
Grados do get quite a bit of stick for comfort, but the lightness and lack of clamp made them become pretty darn comfy for me after the pads became softer and i stretched the headband out some.
I stretch the headband out on all my Grados to the point that their U shaped and just hang over my ears nicely with minimum pressure.

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #36,850 of 65,584
Well, this is a nice surprise.

I still use AOL mail for my emails and for the past 2 or 3 days i haven't been able to log in. But after logging in on my android dap i see i've received an email to say my headphones are going to be delivered today at between 15:16-16:16. It's 15:35 here now and traking the DPD van has it near by.

Wasn't expecting them till tomorrow so that's a bonus.

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #36,851 of 65,584
There here:)

First impressions:

1. These are the first wooded Grados i've seen in the flesh. They look great, don't they, i really like the tan headband as well.
2. The cable is thicker and the plug is a bit chunkier than before.
3. The third thing i've noticed is that, what i first thought was the metal rods that are connected the gimbals were shorter than my old 125's. But when i put them side by side they are the same length and it's the black plastic cap that is a lot bigger.

They seem ok at full size but i'd like to try them a bit bigger. I thought i'd ask you guy's before i tried moving them.

Can the black cap be moved up the rods to give me a bit more size, if you get what i mean?

First album is an album i've just got into over the last year which is 'Wild beasts' 'Two dancers'. Sounds great

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #36,852 of 65,584
There here:)

First impressions:

1. These are the first wooded Grados i've seen in the flesh. They look great, don't they, i really like the tan headband as well.
2. The cable is thicker and the plug is a bit chunkier than before.
3. The third thing i've noticed is that, what i first thought was the metal rods that are connected the gimbals were shorter than my old 125's. But when i put them side by side they are the same length and it's the black plastic cap that is a lot bigger.

They seem ok at full size but i'd like to try them a bit bigger. I thought i'd ask you guy's before i tried moving them.

Can the black cap be moved up the rods to give me a bit more size, if you get what i mean?

First album is an album i've just got into over the last year which is 'Wild beasts' 'Two dancers'. Sounds great

i'm not sure what you mean, is that the cap you talking about? if it does,you really have big head :D
cap.jpg

Nov 26, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #36,853 of 65,584
Yeah, that's it.

edit: On my old pair i used to have about 3mm of metal showing above the black L/R, then the cap if you get what i mean?

I've always thought i had a big head, or maybe my ears are low on my head, or both.

Second album is 'Air'- Talkie Walkie. Great album, sounds great

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #36,854 of 65,584
Yeah, that's it.

I've always thought i had a big head, or maybe my ears are low on my head, or both.

Second album is 'Air'- Talkie Walkie. Great album, sounds great

you actually the first person i encounter to adjust the rod all the way up there haha. mmm i'm not sure if you could adjust the cap but i think it's removeable,i think it hold by the glue. if you want to move it up you might need to glue it back. i don't know how to remove it though maybe by shaking it. someone who mod their grado extensively could help you to give some tricks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back