Grado Fan Club!
Sep 25, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #36,391 of 65,693
sr80e

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #36,392 of 65,693
Is it true that simply poking holes into the circles under the white/clear cloth lays over the driver will allow the sound to have a slight more touch of low end?

yes. at the back side of the the driver, at the magnet side.there is a felt type material to protect the diaphragm. you could vent a holes into it. to add more air flow to the other side also help the driver breath well so less air pressure/compression and the result you get more and clearer bass, some higher models have this vent holes up to 4 holes. beyond that the bass became bloated

with sr80e you could try change the pad to bowl pad or flat pad or some generic pad. i think the sr80e already have tack it on the magnet. not sure about the vent holes,i forgot did grado already added 2 holes or not on sr80e.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #36,393 of 65,693
yes. at the back side of the the driver, at the magnet side.there is a felt type material to protect the diaphragm. you could vent a holes into it. to add more air flow to the other side also help the driver breath well so less air pressure/compression and the result you get more and clearer bass, some higher models have this vent holes up to 4 holes. beyond that the bass became bloated

with sr80e you could try change the pad to bowl pad or flat pad or some generic pad. i think the sr80e already have tack it on the magnet. not sure about the vent holes,i forgot did grado already added 2 holes or not on sr80e.

Thank you!

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #36,394 of 65,693
hahaha sorry my bad, i was trying to explain it more because i was thinking maybe you misunderstood my first comment. yea i totally agree with your assessment

did you spend enough time with your friend other gear ? would you mind sharing your impression about those headphones compare to grado? and what is KEX? is it k1000?
No problem, and I did enjoy the gear that my friend has, most of it would be only in my dreams however. The headphones that I tried over a one week period: HD800/S, HD700, HD650, T1 gen 1 and 2, Abyss 1266, HE-1000v1, HE-X (not KEX, sorry typo), LCD-3f, LCD-2.2, LCD-X, Ether and Ether C, TH-600 and 900, SR009, SR007mk2, SR-507, L-700, HE560, HE400i, HE6, Ultrasone Editon 8 Julia and 10, GS1000i/e, PS1000e, PS500e, RS2e, RS1e (original bad version) and ESP950. My impressions of the Grado GS1000e and PS1000e were that they have the family sound but are much more detailed and better balanced from highs to lows over the SR series but there was not much of an improvement from the RS2e and PS500e to me but since I didn't spend much time with them I wouldn't consider my impressions set in stone and might change if I spent more time with them. The biggest disappointment was the HE-1000v1, it was just so bland and didn't get my feet tapping while the HE-X was impressive for being able to sound quite good from a phone. Edition 8 Julia was one of the most beautiful headphones I've seen, to bad the sound didn't live up to the looks, sort of like the WA7d that I had a few years ago, all show and no go. If you are a fan of classical then one of the best is the SR009, I was spending so much time with them that my friend gave me his spare one. These days I've been playing around with the alternative drivers from Nhoord, Symphones and Elleven Acoustica and as you noted they are a really good value and I feel that they have a more appealing sound to a broader audience (non-audiophile) than most Grado headphones based on what I have seen when friends and family are over to listen and all like the alternative drivers better than the RS2e due to the better balanced over all FR.

what are the worth while mods to do with these headphones?
Before doing mods think about what you would like changed from the stock sound of the SR80, this way you can get recommendations on mods that will tune the sound to your liking. You might also want to check this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/post-your-grado-mods.119314/
and this one:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sr60-mod-part-ii.560806/

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #36,395 of 65,693
Is it true that simply poking holes into the circles under the white/clear cloth lays over the driver will allow the sound to have a slight more touch of low end?
To add to what @ruhenheiM wrote, the "e" series SR have 2 vent holes opened from the factory, I wouldn't suggest opening more than 2 additional vent holes since the bass will get bloated and muddy without doing some damping in the cups (dynamat) and back of the driver magnet (dynamat or sorbothane). I suggest you look at the above post where I have the two threads that talk about mods.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #36,396 of 65,693
No problem, and I did enjoy the gear that my friend has, most of it would be only in my dreams however. The headphones that I tried over a one week period: HD800/S, HD700, HD650, T1 gen 1 and 2, Abyss 1266, HE-1000v1, HE-X (not KEX, sorry typo), LCD-3f, LCD-2.2, LCD-X, Ether and Ether C, TH-600 and 900, SR009, SR007mk2, SR-507, L-700, HE560, HE400i, HE6, Ultrasone Editon 8 Julia and 10, GS1000i/e, PS1000e, PS500e, RS2e, RS1e (original bad version) and ESP950. My impressions of the Grado GS1000e and PS1000e were that they have the family sound but are much more detailed and better balanced from highs to lows over the SR series but there was not much of an improvement from the RS2e and PS500e to me but since I didn't spend much time with them I wouldn't consider my impressions set in stone and might change if I spent more time with them. The biggest disappointment was the HE-1000v1, it was just so bland and didn't get my feet tapping while the HE-X was impressive for being able to sound quite good from a phone. Edition 8 Julia was one of the most beautiful headphones I've seen, to bad the sound didn't live up to the looks, sort of like the WA7d that I had a few years ago, all show and no go. If you are a fan of classical then one of the best is the SR009, I was spending so much time with them that my friend gave me his spare one. These days I've been playing around with the alternative drivers from Nhoord, Symphones and Elleven Acoustica and as you noted they are a really good value and I feel that they have a more appealing sound to a broader audience (non-audiophile) than most Grado headphones based on what I have seen when friends and family are over to listen and all like the alternative drivers better than the RS2e due to the better balanced over all FR.

Before doing mods think about what you would like changed from the stock sound of the SR80, this way you can get recommendations on mods that will tune the sound to your liking. You might also want to check this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/post-your-grado-mods.119314/
and this one:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sr60-mod-part-ii.560806/
Ok great
Thank you for the links. If I will be able to successfully make a mod I will be over the moon lol.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #36,397 of 65,693

that's interesting, you could compare a lot of top of the lines headphones there hahaha

really...that's quite opposite for me.i like the he1000v1, when i tried he-x i was very disappointed. maybe the quality control still a problem in hifiman. how about the abyss? did you try it?

i only have tried one drivers from symphones and they are really good,very great value although not necessarily a grado sound but it's close, it sure does have a smoother treble compare to grado. and i agree with you, it is more appealing to broader audience

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #36,398 of 65,693
@DavidA , what did you think of the Ultrasone Edition 10 as compared with those other headphones, e.g. the Edition 8?

Sep 25, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #36,400 of 65,693
Sorry to hear it. Maybe take lots of pictures first?

I used to help a buddy powder coat parts at his shop. He had a few black colors. The textured blacks that were not glossy were my fav and looked amazing because they weren't such finger print and glare magnets.

Personally I think what you have there should be one day recreated in that matte black texture. Looks amazing. As does the entire structure and mechanism.
Thank you.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to change the finish, but I already painted them and their drying. I'll post some photos after I assemble them.

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #36,401 of 65,693
@DavidA , what did you think of the Ultrasone Edition 10 as compared with those other headphones, e.g. the Edition 8?
The Ultrasone Edition 10 was an interesting headphone but it was not a sound signature that I liked as soon as I put them on so I didn't spend much time with them but what stood out was the bass seemed a bit lite, sort of like some of the E-Stats and the treble was a bit harsh. The Edition 8 Julia while one of the most beautiful crafted headphones I've ever seen but the bass was a bit muddy and it lacked any sparkle in the highs to me. For sound I'd take the RS2e and PS500e over the Edition 8 and 10 any day since they are both more my preferred sound but if I had money growing on trees I'd get the Edition 8 and 10 along with a WA7d to have on my desk since these are works of art.

sorry for going a bit off topic here.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #36,403 of 65,693
Hi. I'm thinking of going down the tube amp road for my Grados. Any suggestions for an amp that will make the headphones glow more? Thanks.
Weird!! I just came to this tread to say how much I am enjoying the Elemental Watson with the Grado RS2! Its a tube hybrid but it adds just a bit of warmth to the chain but keeps the nice cymbal crashes and highs that I look for with Grado. I'll snap a pic of the combo when I clean up my "Work station" Edit: I should clean off the slight dust on top of the cover but whatever ha
IMG_7949.JPG
I also want to know what other tube amps work well with Grado! I feel like they lend them self well to tubes in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 27, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #36,404 of 65,693
Hi. I'm thinking of going down the tube amp road for my Grados. Any suggestions for an amp that will make the headphones glow more? Thanks.

Weird!! I just came to this tread to say how much I am enjoying the Elemental Watson with the Grado RS2! Its a tube hybrid but it adds just a bit of warmth to the chain but keeps the nice cymbal crashes and highs that I look for with Grado. I'll snap a pic of the combo when I clean up my "Work station"

I also want to know what other tube amps work well with Grado! I feel like they lend them self well to tubes in general.

The Garage1217 amps do well with all my Grados. I have the Ember 2, and am thinking about trying out the Solstice since it has a lower gain and should provide a lower noise floor. I love that I can roll tons of different tubes in the Ember to get that perfect sound, including 6SN7s.

http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_005.htm

If I had to live with one amp though, it would be an Ampsandsound, and in my case, the Leeloo. It's got waaaay more power than the 1Watt it lists at 32ohms and literally zero background noise. It easily drives my LCD-2.2f and Ori as well, at like 8'oclock on the volume knob. I've never heard my LCD-2 sound as good as it does on Leeloo. This amp has more punch, detail, and finesse than even my Ragnarok can muster. It's expensive though, but something to consider if you're going after the ultimate amp. As a bonus, the EL84/6BQ5/7189 and 12AX7/12AT7/5751 tubes the Leeloo uses are relatively easy to find and not terribly expensive. I'm using some Russian 6P14P-EVs (7189 equivalent) that add some extra bass punch, clear mids and slightly recessed highs that I picked up for $25 for the pair on Ebay.

http://ampsandsound.com/products/headphone-amps/leeloo/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back