Grado Fan Club!
Jul 6, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #35,881 of 65,623
I'm thinking I may sell my Grado SR325e cans.

I use them far less often than my Alessandro MS2i and Grado SR325i goldies. I was listening to this track last night (Man Enough - Def Leppard) with the MS2i and the SR325e and I thought the SR325e just sounded honkier and harsher to my ears for some reason.

I'm listening to this same song right now on the goldie SR325i and even though these are brighter for some reason they don't hurt my ears the way the SR325e did last night. Granted, it was a different listening session, but... I'm thinking I need to thin my headphone herd and the SR325e are seeming redundant ... :-/

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #35,882 of 65,623
I'm thinking I may sell my Grado SR325e cans.

I use them far less often than my Alessandro MS2i and Grado SR325i goldies. I was listening to this track last night (Man Enough - Def Leppard) with the MS2i and the SR325e and I thought the SR325e just sounded honkier and harsher to my ears for some reason.

I'm listening to this same song right now on the goldie SR325i and even though these are brighter for some reason they don't hurt my ears the way the SR325e did last night. Granted, it was a different listening session, but... I'm thinking I need to thin my headphone herd and the SR325e are seeming redundant ... :-/

excuse me to chime in here but if i a humble peasant may give a one or two opinions, i think your problem is you don't have enough sr 325 variants

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-SR-32...c5244ba&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=152609571725

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alessandro-...029732?hash=item41c94b4da4:g:QIYAAOSw6YtZVe93

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #35,883 of 65,623

LOL :o2smile: ... well, I think it was ruthieandjohn who showed me a picture of all the Grado SR325 variants he has, and it was basically all of them (maybe not including the Alessandro variants), and it was his comparison charts that caused me to go get the goldies (I got the Alessandro MS2i first, then the SR325e, then the goldie SR325i) because of his ratings on transparency which were highest on the goldies and I wanted to compare them to the SR325e to see if I liked them better.

Lord knows I'm addicted to purchasing headphones, so letting one go isn't easy, but if they don't get head time :L3000:... besides, it's easier to get a 325e again if I really wanted one (I doubt it) since they are the current model. I don't plan on ever getting rid of the goldie SR325i or the Alessandro MS2i, though, as those are harder to find, and they are different enough from each other.

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #35,884 of 65,623
hahaha honestly i never listen to other variants of sr325 except the goldie. i actually like the goldie sound even though it made my ears fatigue after a little while but still once in a while listening to goldie always left me with a nice experience

if you want to get another non black star drivers on sr325. try to look the sr325 chrome.i don't know about the sound.but man those headphone look stunning. and maybe some alessandro i forget though if it's ms2e or ms2i. people in my local community actually prefer that one to the sr325e.i think it was ms2e because they said ms2e actually have brighter treble than sr325e which in grado alessandro comparison scenario almost never happen. i remember they were complaining sr325e treble being so dark or something like that, they said sr325is have more treble than sr325e and then they compared sr325e to ms2e and it turned out ms2e have more treble than sr325e. bottom line is they're not impressed with sr325e sound

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #35,885 of 65,623
So glad you like the SR325i Goldies. Though I also have the original SR325, the SR325is, and the SR325e, it is the SR325i that is my favorite by far.

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #35,886 of 65,623
So glad you like the SR325i Goldies. Though I also have the original SR325, the SR325is, and the SR325e, it is the SR325i that is my favorite by far.

I've never had the original SR325 or the SR325is, but your ratings were spot on to my ears, but I have no interest in getting them now having sampled two of the four and so I've decided to sell the 325e and keep the 325i goldies! Thanks, King of Grados! :o2smile:

Jul 7, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #35,888 of 65,623
i've got that one actually.
it's a good case, but as with all Grados, you'll have to twist the cable coming out of the cups in strange ways. also the added 'net' can be used to make your headphones fit more snug, otherwise they may bounce a bit due to the height of the case exceeding the height of the headphones (I have the PS1000, don't know how it is with others)

case itself is sturdy and will probably last for a time.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #35,889 of 65,623
Does anybody own a Grado RA1. How is this amp doing? Is there a way to check if it's a newer or older model?

Jul 7, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #35,892 of 65,623
Jul 7, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #35,893 of 65,623
Does anybody own a Grado RA1. How is this amp doing? Is there a way to check if it's a newer or older model?
I have the Grado RA-1 amp... the battery-powered version (there also is a plug-in version).

I love it. In May of 2015, I did a pretty detailed comparison of the Grado RA-1 amp to the CMOY amp and the Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp, using the Grado RS2i headphone. Here is the comparison.

In short, CMOY scored 18 of 30 points, RA-1 scored 20, and HPA-1 scored 22 in my tests (higher is better).

7385706_thumb.png

Grado Amps.png

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #35,894 of 65,623
Greetings, you guys definitely rock!
I haven't been in the Grado camp for a few years, since my first and only set, the SR-80 didn't survive modding, but I still have it's headband, cable and probably cushions laying around. Currently I'm pretty fond of my Fostex and Etymotic headphones, as I find these clean and neutral enough to my taste and budget. I can particularly note Etymotyc ER6 - a true gem, very pleasant sonic signature stock, only mod it received was a recable, and Fostex T20RP, that turned to be a neutrality and definition monster after quite a little damping. I also own a couple of AKG's, but I just don't like them as much.
Lately I've been thinking of getting another pair of open dynamic headphones that would be fun to listen to and guess what? I've just got a set of MS-1i on it's way to my home! I've chosen it over SR-60e available locally for about the same price relying on good comments about their neutrality. I'm to do some mods to the cans obviously and not having to bother with buttons is also a good point for the Alessandros. So please wish me luck going back to the club :)

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #35,895 of 65,623
Greetings, you guys definitely rock!
I haven't been in the Grado camp for a few years, since my first and only set, the SR-80 didn't survive modding, but I still have it's headband, cable and probably cushions laying around. Currently I'm pretty fond of my Fostex and Etymotic headphones, as I find these clean and neutral enough to my taste and budget. I can particularly note Etymotyc ER6 - a true gem, very pleasant sonic signature stock, only mod it received was a recable, and Fostex T20RP, that turned to be a neutrality and definition monster after quite a little damping. I also own a couple of AKG's, but I just don't like them as much.
Lately I've been thinking of getting another pair of open dynamic headphones that would be fun to listen to and guess what? I've just got a set of MS-1i on it's way to my home! I've chosen it over SR-60e available locally for about the same price relying on good comments about their neutrality. I'm to do some mods to the cans obviously and not having to bother with buttons is also a good point for the Alessandros. So please wish me luck going back to the club :)

I would use the parts from your SR-80 to build a custom Nhoord or Ypsilon driver build, all you will need are wood cups and the drivers since you can use the headband, gimbals, rod blocks and even the old cable if you wanted to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back