Grado Fan Club!
Jul 23, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #32,911 of 66,291
I don't have them. I think it's Ruthandjohn is his user name or something like that I can't find it on my little phones screen. He has all the graphs on them. I just remember he said the gs1000is had the best transparency so that made me want them.

I've only ever owned the 325e rs1is and ps1000es. I'm working my way through the grado lineup it seems.

Oh okay thanks for the info.

I started with the RS1i. I bought and sold one twice! I really like the GS2Ke so I will be holding onto it for awhile. It is truly a competitor to the HD800. I am currently in the middle of a review of the HD800S and I found that the GS2Ke has a noticeably tighter and more extended bass response. The mids seem ever so softly recessed compared to the the HD800S and the treble is brighter and more extended. So I'm wondering how the GS2Ke compares to the HD800. It makes me want to pick one up but with the Ether Flow debute I'm torn.

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #32,912 of 66,291
Oh okay thanks for the info.

I started with the RS1i. I bought and sold one twice! I really like the GS2Ke so I will be holding onto it for awhile. It is truly a competitor to the HD800. I am currently in the middle of a review of the HD800S and I found that the GS2Ke has a noticeably tighter and more extended bass response. The mids seem ever so softly recessed compared to the the HD800S and the treble is brighter and more extended. So I'm wondering how the GS2Ke compares to the HD800. It makes me want to pick one up but with the Ether Flow debute I'm torn.

Yeah the RS1is r so good it's hard to even think about selling them but if I like the gs1000is more then they may go. They have such a live sound to me like how I here it when I'm at the concert through the amp.

The GS2kes would be cool to try. From what I read it seems the treble is a little more laid back than earlier versions but I've never heard them. Your explanation of how they sound tho seems spot on bc it seems similar to what I've been reading about them.

I've never heard the hd800s but have always been intrigued by them ever since I got into this hobby. I don't think anything is going to top Grado tho for me. Most headphones seem to all share a similar sound just some r better than others. Grados to me have a whole other category of sound that just is so much better to me than anything else. I just stopped trying other headphones bc they never impressed me like grados. I guess I'm a forever Grado lover.

Hopefully me liking grados so much doesn't offend anyone that's likes others brands!

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #32,913 of 66,291
Yeah the RS1is r so good it's hard to even think about selling them but if I like the gs1000is more then they may go. They have such a live sound to me like how I here it when I'm at the concert through the amp.

The GS2kes would be cool to try. From what I read it seems the treble is a little more laid back than earlier versions but I've never heard them. Your explanation of how they sound tho seems spot on bc it seems similar to what I've been reading about them.

I've never heard the hd800s but have always been intrigued by them ever since I got into this hobby. I don't think anything is going to top Grado tho for me. Most headphones seem to all share a similar sound just some r better than others. Grados to me have a whole other category of sound that just is so much better to me than anything else. I just stopped trying other headphones bc they never impressed me like grados. I guess I'm a forever Grado lover.

Hopefully me liking grados so much doesn't offend anyone that's likes others brands!

The RS1i's were THE sound for me too. They put vocals on a heavenly pedestal and made music come alive! They are vibrant, have a detailed bass response(even though it has a elevated mid-bass), and the treble is extended withou being fatiguing. I had great times with my RS1i's and a neat glass of scotch. Ahhhh

As for the treble response of the GS2Ke; it is not at all relaxed. It just doesn't have any notable peaks. They are a highly transperent headphone. Again in comparison to the HD800S they made them sound veiled and warm for sure.

I am also a certifiable Grado FanBoy!!! That's why I bought the GS2Ke's (4-Pin XLR) with only a moment of pause. Well actually I bought the 6.5mm terminated GS2Ke first and then immediately placed an order for the balanced version. It is the Grado sound I was looking for. It's a RS1i all grown up and refined to the 10th degree. Hahaha

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #32,914 of 66,291

I don't have them. I think it's Ruthandjohn is his user name or something like that I can't find it on my little phones screen. He has all the graphs on them. I just remember he said the gs1000is had the best transparency so that made me want them.

I've only ever owned the 325e rs1is and ps1000es. I'm working my way through the grado lineup it seems.

Here are the charts in which I rank my 25 Grado headphones, from top to bottom, on transparency, sound stage, sub bass, and treble detail.  Higher numbers (100%) are better.  Don't pay attention to the "spacing' between the numbers... they are all equal.  It is just a way of enforcing the rank ordering that came up from side-by-side comparisons of these headphones in groups of three.  The full post about this is here.

If you compute an overall score for each headphone from the average of the four scores of each above, you will get this, which scores the RS2e as the highest on-ear headphone and the GS1000i as the highest over-ear headphone:

If you compare headphones side by side, you can get a matrix where the color at the intersection indicates which headphone, i.e. row (blue) or column (red), won the comparison (sparse matrix, because not every headphone was compared to every other).  A "0" means essentially equal; a dot means the headphone of that color (row or column) scored a bit better; a square means it scored significantly better:

The GS1000i (row 5), when compared directly with the RS2e, came out on top.

I love the GS1000i - I hope you do too!

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #32,917 of 66,291
The first graph u show with treble on the far right. does that also show which r brightest?

"Treble" should really be "Treble Detail," specifically the ability to pick up high frequency structure, as measured by the ability to deconstruct the elements of a finger plucking a string. "Transparency," which has the SR325i at the top, is related to brightness, and indeed the SR325i is the brightest of my Grados.

Jul 24, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #32,919 of 66,291
Are the SR series in general the most V shaped grados? Would you call the RS2e v shaped sound signature?

I wouldn't agree with either of those. To me most Grados are fairly balanced and if anything, closer to mid centric. To me the only V shaped Grados are the GS1000i and the slightly more U-shaped PS1000.

Jul 24, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #32,920 of 66,291
Yeah I ended up winning them. Sorry! I was watching those things for the whole 10 days making sure ingot them lol. I hopefully didn't over pay but they are supposedly never used from what she told me when I messaged the seller.

I've nerv heard them before. I became interested bc of the guy on here who had all the graphs and says they r the best ones ever so I hope I like them.

I had some ps1000es but they were too refined for me if that makes sense. I prefer my rs1is to them I think anyways. Not enough oomph or treble or something in the ps1000es to me.

Ill know right when I put them on if I will like the sound. I usually don't listen for too long before I know I want to sell some headphones lol.

Congratulations on the winning bid for the GS1Ki. These will be closer to your liking than the PS1K/e being you enjoy your RS1i so much. The differences between the two IMO/IME are that the RS1i has that forward Grado mid-range magic with their excellent detail/clarity whereas the GS1Ki has the most V shaped sound-signature with a very recessed mid-range...which no one has mentioned, with a wider sound-stage with excellent detail/clarity, and are probably the best Grado for lower listening levels and also sound nothing like the PS1K/e which is a plus for you. Enjoy and keep us posted.

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #32,921 of 66,291
I wouldn't agree with either of those. To me most Grados are fairly balanced and if anything, closer to mid centric. To me the only V shaped Grados are the GS1000i and the slightly more U-shaped PS1000.

My grado experience in general so far has been slightly elevated treble and otherwise neutral so maybe not v shaped. Something about the statement series is really pleasant to me though. I'll slowly make my way to the 325e.

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #32,923 of 66,291

I have previously and consistently mentioned about the midrange of the GS1000i, which for me
sounds best with a gentle eq lift to the mids....then they are perfect!...from a previous post:

a slight eq starting at around 1k, peaking at 3,000 (around 2db gain),
gradually tapering down around 6 khz in Amarra for Tidal (I'm also using Voxengo Marvel CEQ plugin in PM 3 - w/similar
but slightly diff eq adjustments- do by ear!):

brings the midrange slightly forward  and vastly improves the musicality and sound! With this eq, 
the GS1000i goes from very good to Summit; out of the park sound quality...can listen for hours with
top enjoyment! I've had them close to a year and listen 2 hours or more daily....

Also, I listen at low to moderate volumes....lower than many here likely use. I am of the opinion
that these, if not most Grado's have been voiced for low to moderate volume levels and sound best that way.
Along with the slight eq,at  lower volume the tonal balance (and everything else) is excellent!

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #32,925 of 66,291
  I see the GH1 is no longer available "new".

Yeah...they are using the hole-riddled remainder of that Sunset Park maple tree for the liners of the new GS2000e!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back