Grado Fan Club!
Jul 25, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #32,941 of 66,264
  I bought a pair of rosewood cups from Turbulent Labs (batch 004) then found the same exact cups are available for 20 dollars less from Rholupat http://www.rholupat.com/products?page=1 in fact they come in the same exact box which makes me wonder if Turbulent Labs aren't sourcing their cups from him and just marking them up..?

either way next pair of wooden cups I need I'll be buying from Rhoulpat because I refuse to wait nearly three months again (and pay extra) . Rholupat  also sell beautiful aluminum gimbals,rodblocks and leather headbands all for far less than Turbulent Labs.just thought i'd pass this info on to other Grado fans wanting to mod their headphones.I used my batch 004 rosewood cups for a pair of Symphones Magnum V6 and they sound incredible far better than my SR60i or SR80i though not quite as great as my PS500e (but not far behind in many respects either and with far more bass ,zero sibilance (without sacrificing treble) and beautiful midrange, they aren't as detailed resolving or spacious as the PS500e but then again I built them for less than half of what i paid for the PS500e)  I can't wait to build a pair of V7's when I have the means to do so. http://symphones.com/

I also ordered from Rhoulpat but the gimbals and rodblocks are out of stock and he has no idea on when they will be available.  I got my cups from Turbulent in 2 weeks, which I though was quite fast and I remember the first ones came in about 2 weeks also, didn't pay any extra for faster shipping either.

Have you done any mods to the cups, like dyanmat or sorbothane on the back of the driver?

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #32,942 of 66,264
  I also ordered from Rhoulpat but the gimbals and rodblocks are out of stock and he has no idea on when they will be available.  I got my cups from Turbulent in 2 weeks, which I though was quite fast and I remember the first ones came in about 2 weeks also, didn't pay any extra for faster shipping either.

Have you done any mods to the cups, like dyanmat or sorbothane on the back of the driver?

I just took delivery of rod blocks a few weeks ago from Rhoulpat for my PS1K so I could use a Fostex suspension strap with them, I know the site says their "out of stock" but I was able to place my order and they arrived in +/- 3 weeks. I also have his rod blocks/gimbals/tips on my GH1 thanks to @JoeDoewho turned me onto him.

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #32,943 of 66,264

Rholupat has one variety of gimbals currently available http://www.rholupat.com/products?page=2
but yes sometimes you have to wait awhile between certain items being available.

It's possible I just had bad luck with shipping when I ordered from Turbulent Labs,- I will say they are great at communications and were pleasant to deal with. as far as my batch 004 cups I haven't done any mods to them, the Magnum V6 drivers sit in the cups perfectly - not too tight to remove should I want to ,but also solid enough so they didn't require any two sided tape to stay in place.

I have considered modding them (as well as my SR60i and SR80i) with dynamat but am very happy with how the V6 sound at present,though I'm always up for improving the sound if possible. I'm not familiar with sorbothane.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #32,944 of 66,264
After modding my SR-225e its actually better than my RS2e to me, bass goes lower and is cleaner, highs are smoothed out and it has a better balanced over all sound.

Does modding your 225e makes your 225e as transparent as the rs2e? The first thing I noticed from the rs2e that makes it better than the 325e is that the rs2e is so transparent (if that makes sense). It feels like there is only a window between me and the song, while on 325e, it's just sounds like listening through headphone. If that makes sense.

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #32,945 of 66,264

Does modding your 225e makes your 225e as transparent as the rs2e? The first thing I noticed from the rs2e that makes it better than the 325e is that the rs2e is so transparent (if that makes sense). It feels like there is only a window between me and the song, while on 325e, it's just sounds like listening through headphone. If that makes sense.

i would like to know the answer to that too..also how hard is it to change the cups?!

im completely newbie to Grado DIY stuff..however gimbals changing looks easy tho

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #32,946 of 66,264
The question is to what extent is the cup size identical on the modded 225e to the rs2e?

If they are identical you may be pleasantly surprised.

:)

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #32,947 of 66,264

The sorbothane on the back of the driver cut in to smaller squares does clean up the sound quite a lot by removing a lot of the vibration from the housing.

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #32,948 of 66,264

Quote:

i would like to know the answer to that too..also how hard is it to change the cups?!

im completely newbie to Grado DIY stuff..however gimbals changing looks easy tho

Not to hard to change the cups but it depends on if you want to be able to go back to stock, if no, then its fairly easy but you destroy the inner sleeve upon removal of the driver.  Below is the SR-225i with SMC connectors inside the SR-225e

Quote:

The question is to what extent is the cup size identical on the modded 225e to the rs2e?

If they are identical you may be pleasantly surprised.

smily_headphones1.gif

This is a good question and while I don't know the answer I know the wood cups that I and @joseph69 use are based on the size of the RS series cups IIRC 

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #32,950 of 66,264
  Right, I forgot that the GS2Ke is using two different woods.

LOL, yeah already! 
biggrin.gif

So you leave your Grado on when you take a leak!
Why not just take them off your head and you won't have to unplug them?

let me clarify!. Summer is very short up here in Canada, so when it's nice and warm out, I like to open up a cold one, put on a concert, and watch it through my patio door, as I sit on my balcony.

For this, I use my new GR10e, and these suckers are in so deep in my ears, that when I have to go empty my peanut size bladder, I keep my auricular suppositorys on.
biggrin.gif

By the way, if anybody is hesitating about spending over $400 for the GR10e, don't, these things sound absolutely amazing!. The bass is deep, the mids have that typical Grado richness, and the treble reaches pretty high, for IEMs. The soundstage is surprisignly big, and since they come with 3 different tip sizes, comfort is not a issue.

Someone could have the GR10e as is only pair of headphones, without giving up any of that sound quality we've come to expect from Grado.

Sorry Joseph!, I'm so happy with my GR10e, that I just had to share.
redface.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #32,951 of 66,264
I bought a pair of rosewood cups from Turbulent Labs (batch 004) then found the same exact cups are available for 20 dollars less from Rholupat http://www.rholupat.com/products?page=1 in fact they come in the same exact box which makes me wonder if Turbulent Labs aren't sourcing their cups from him and just marking them up..?

either way next pair of wooden cups I need I'll be buying from Rhoulpat . they  also sell beautiful aluminum gimbals,rodblocks and leather headbands all for far less than Turbulent Labs.just thought i'd pass this info on to other Grado fans wanting to mod their headphones.I used my batch 004 rosewood cups for a pair of Symphones Magnum V6 and they sound incredible far better than my SR60i or SR80i though not quite as great as my PS500e (but not far behind in many respects either and with far more bass ,zero sibilance (without sacrificing treble) and beautiful midrange, they aren't as detailed resolving or spacious as the PS500e but then again I built them for less than half of what i paid for the PS500e)  I can't wait to build a pair of V7's when I have the means to do so. http://symphones.com/
Seems like it's time for my first Magnum

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #32,952 of 66,264

LOL, yeah already! 
biggrin.gif

let me clarify!. Summer is very short up here in Canada, so when it's nice and warm out, I like to open up a cold one, put on a concert, and watch it through my patio door, as I sit on my balcony.

For this, I use my new GR10e, and these suckers are in so deep in my ears, that when I have to go empty my peanut size bladder, I keep my auricular suppositorys on.
biggrin.gif

By the way, if anybody is hesitating about spending over $400 for the GR10e, don't, these things sound absolutely amazing!. The bass is deep, the mids have that typical Grado richness, and the treble reaches pretty high, for IEMs. The soundstage is surprisignly big, and since they come with 3 different tip sizes, comfort is not a issue.

Someone could have the GR10e as is only pair of headphones, without giving up any of that sound quality we've come to expect from Grado.

Sorry Joseph!, I'm so happy with my GR10e, that I just had to share.
redface.gif

I am allowed to listen to music at work with my in ears.....i have thought about these....just afraid I may break them at work.......using a HifiMan RE-400 now.

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #32,953 of 66,264

LOL, yeah already! :D

For this, I use my new GR10e, and these suckers are in so deep in my ears, that when I have to go empty my peanut size bladder, I keep my auricular suppositorys on. :D

Sorry Joseph!, I'm so happy with my GR10e, that I just had to share.:xf_eek:

I am allowed to listen to music at work with my in ears.....i have thought about these....just afraid I may break them at work.......using a HifiMan RE-400 now.

Hey buddy. Really? The RE-400's are tougher than the GR10e's? That's news!

Anyway, just poking my head up in the middle of finals to say "hi". Absolutely no headphone use on my end for about 3 months. I'll have to change that in August :D:)

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #32,954 of 66,264
Hello  
I received today my original  Grado G cushion.   It works perfect wiht my RS2i.  I need to increase a little the volume to have the full grado sound.
Widder sound stage and tighter bass.  I feel very happy.  I can't listen any decrease in sound quality. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #32,955 of 66,264

i did not manage to break the cable of my GR10 or GR10e's, so i think you'll be fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back