Grado Fan Club!
Dec 19, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #29,461 of 66,230
I have been listening to my 225i a fair amount lately.

I have just got around to buying some tubes that I have been dying to try with my Grado headphones.

The 6336 tubes...these things are built like no other tube that I have ever seen, real rugged looking monsters and each tubes needs 5 amps of heater current 
tongue.gif
....I run them in 5998 mode in my amp to get the most current.

Holy smokes these babies supply lots and lots of current to the 225i, and as we know, Grados like more current and less voltage, and I am here to report that I have never heard Grado bass sound this nice than what I am hearing now, really impressed and actually never thought it to be possible.

I am still going to experiment with different driver tubes to get the treble tone I am looking for.....but the 6336 power tubes are the real deal, no doubt about it.  

Hands down the best I have ever heard my 225i sound.

Tthese tubes also make my listening station a few degrees warmer on a cold Ohio night 
tongue.gif

These get HOT!

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #29,462 of 66,230
  Selling my SR325is in favour of my SR60e. The difference is pretty minor with bowl pads on I find, 325 has a bit more treble but i prefer the smoother sound of the 60e, + the much lighter cable.

Wonder if it's worth trying more of the e series if l like the 60e... hmm

you might even try the 325e.  It was the headphone that benefitted the most from the e upgrades.  My ****personal**** ratings for what I've tried in the current line that I have heard combined with models from the i seres:

RS2e=PS500e=RS1i >>> SR225e >SR225i > SR80e > SR325e > SR125e > SR60e > SR60i >>>>> SR325i (I *personally* couldn't deal with the treble on the 325i AT ALL).  I put that there not so much to say it's gospel, as much to say that a lot of people prefer lower models in the Grado line to higher models.  

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #29,463 of 66,230
Meanwhile, on the Grado Labs facebook page... (notice the zero likes)

Dec 19, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #29,464 of 66,230
  I have been listening to my 225i a fair amount lately.

I have just got around to buying some tubes that I have been dying to try with my Grado headphones.

The 6336 tubes...these things are built like no other tube that I have ever seen, real rugged looking monsters and each tubes needs 5 amps of heater current 
tongue.gif
....I run them in 5998 mode in my amp to get the most current.

Holy smokes these babies supply lots and lots of current to the 225i, and as we know, Grados like more current and less voltage, and I am here to report that I have never heard Grado bass sound this nice than what I am hearing now, really impressed and actually never thought it to be possible.

I am still going to experiment with different driver tubes to get the treble tone I am looking for.....but the 6336 power tubes are the real deal, no doubt about it.  

Hands down the best I have ever heard my 225i sound.

Tthese tubes also make my listening station a few degrees warmer on a cold Ohio night 
tongue.gif

These get HOT!

Glad to hear your really enjoying your tube choice for the bass on the 225!
You know your tempting me right! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #29,465 of 66,230
Quick mini-review of the Grado PS1000e:

The PS1Ke is very superior to the original version. In audiophile terms, the original went Boom-Punch-Pow-Shriek-Sizzle, and there is none of that in the e. It's sweet, liquid, musical, lifelike on vocals, non-fatiguing and smooth in the highs except in harsh recordings, and even those have the digital highs nicely ameliorated w/o much sharpness. Even my notoriously brash Beatles CDs sound nice with just a little sharpness.
Another example of the healing power of the PS1Ke is Tapestry by Carole King, which has some shrillness in her voice even on SACD. The PS1Ke cures this nicely making her voice sweet and melodic and silken (but still full of character and detail).

The e is just natural top-to-bottom. I actually owned the original twice, and gave up on them as over-the-top, but I gave the e a chance and all is well.

The only negative is the earcup touches the top/front of my ear, so I fiddle with it. But it's worth it. (Maybe some new foam cups will come out in the future which would be nice.)

On the plus side, the headband and weight distribution is clearly superior somehow on the e. On the original, the headband weighed heavily on my head, but now the headband feels fine.
I was really surprised how much better the e is after reading that the changes were subtle. I disagree. The e is much more refined and bargain compared to other flagships.

So I give these a top recommendation, with nicer sound than the GS, more resolving and composed.

For an extension cord, after trying a few on several Grados, I really like my Moon Black Dragon. It sounds the best and doesn't mess up the bass at all and seems to preserve all the resolution.

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #29,466 of 66,230
  Quick mini-review of the Grado PS1000e:

The PS1Ke is very superior to the original version....

Wonderful to read your detailed comparison of the PS1000e to the PS1000.  Both are wonderful headphones.  Thanks for posting it!

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #29,467 of 66,230

you might even try the 325e.  It was the headphone that benefitted the most from the e upgrades.  My ****personal**** ratings for what I've tried in the current line that I have heard combined with models from the i seres:

RS2e=PS500e=RS1i >>> SR225e >SR225i > SR80e > SR325e > SR125e > SR60e > SR60i >>>>> SR325i (I *personally* couldn't deal with the treble on the 325i AT ALL).  I put that there not so much to say it's gospel, as much to say that a lot of people prefer lower models in the Grado line to higher models.  

I think the SR225e may be the to try, maybe even the 80e if it's on massdrop again. Was your listening done with stock pads or all L-cush?

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #29,468 of 66,230
I think the SR225e may be the to try, maybe even the 80e if it's on massdrop again. Was your listening done with stock pads or all L-cush?

All stock pads, except the 80e and 225e, which I've tried with bowls and flats. I preferred flats on the 80e, it's very harsh with bowls. The 225e sounds good with both. With bowls they have more soundstage and treble extension. With flats they have fun bass.

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #29,469 of 66,230
  I agree 100% that the PS1K vocals are extremely rich…I hope with time the (e) vocals sound the same, but they probably won't because they don't have the mid-bass the PS1K has.

No, I really never thought of buying an HP-1000…I would need to hear one first (which is impossible)  but maybe if I heard one I might just love it…who knows?

Do you agree that the PS1000e feels more powerful than the old ones?

Some would crucify me for saying this, but I think that the HP1000 are overrated. I can understand why some people think that they are the best sounding headphones that Grado has ever produced.

The HP1000 are by far, THE, most neutral Grados that I've ever eard, however, I think that most people, (myself included), prefer headphones that sound a bit more exiting.

A few days ago,  I wrote a post on the ''aura'' that surrounds some products. I think that in the HP1000's case, the listening experience is greatly enhance by it's huge ''aura''. I mean, the fact that I know how rare, well regarded, and very expensive they are, all contribute to make the listening experience that much more enjoyable.

WARNING!, the HP1000 were intended to be used for monitoring purposes, wich means that they won't make chicken soup, out of chicken poop!
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #29,471 of 66,230
All stock pads, except the 80e and 225e, which I've tried with bowls and flats. I preferred flats on the 80e, it's very harsh with bowls. The 225e sounds good with both. With bowls they have more soundstage and treble extension. With flats they have fun bass.

By "flat pads" are you referring to TTVJ flat pads, Grado (S) cushions?

No, not really.
Also, I like excitement in a HP also.

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #29,472 of 66,230
Dec 19, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #29,473 of 66,230
Dec 19, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #29,474 of 66,230

Some would crucify me for saying this, but I think that the HP1000 are overrated. I can understand why some people think that they are the best sounding headphones that Grado has ever produced.

The HP1000 are by far, THE, most neutral Grados that I've ever eard, however, I think that most people, (myself included), prefer headphones that sound a bit more exiting.

A few days ago,  I wrote a post on the ''aura'' that surrounds some products. I think that in the HP1000's case, the listening experience is greatly enhance by it's huge ''aura''. I mean, the fact that I know how rare, well regarded, and very expensive they are, all contribute to make the listening experience that much more enjoyable.

WARNING!, the HP1000 were intended to be used for monitoring purposes, wich means that they won't make chicken soup, out of chicken poop!
biggrin.gif

I share your opinion of the HP1000s as being far short of the be-all and end-all of headphones.  However, I would NEVER part with mine.  My HP-1s are the root of the entire vast Grado headphone line.  They ARE the most neutral of the Grados, avoiding the (spectral) coloration of their sound.  Hence, they are perfect for monitoring.  Furthermore, Sean Olive, the highly-regard researcher of Harmon Kardon, has conducting speaker listening preference tests with user panels and finds that the neutral response is preferred by the greatest portion of users.  In that sense, plus in their design (all aluminum, NO wood, plastic, or jello), and their first of the Radar O'Reilly retro construction, set them in a special place in my heart and in my mind.  But just as a maximally healthy diet, consisting of vegetables, fiber, and freedom from riboflavins, is the best for you, as are the HP1000s, I instead prefer tush-expanding heavy chocolate and V-like spectral responses!!!

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #29,475 of 66,230

I hven't heard the GS1000e, but I did hear the i version, and I remember telling my salesman that they struck a nice balance compared to my first gen GS1000 (sold), and I felt that they offered a better price vs performance ratio, than the PS1000.

That being said,as long as there are new GH-1 still for sale, I can't recommand the GS1000i or e. The GH-1 are amazing headphones. Install a pair of G-cush, and you're in PS1000 territory. If you want a more intimate sound, you simply go with the L-cush. In my opinion, with the L-cush, the GH-1 sounds like a mix of the best of the PS500 and RS1i.

If you think about it, not many Grados can sound good with the G, and L, earpads, so if you order a pair of G-cush, you effectively get two pairs of headphones with the GH-1.

As you know, I have been VERY hard on Grado regarding the GH-1. I've complained about the packaging, the 1/8 connector, the plastic gimbals, and the lack of a carrying bag, and/or, extension cable.

IIn my opinion, with the GH-1, you get a relatively affordable, very comfortable, awesome sounding pair of headphones, that can, for a few extra dollars for G earpads, compete with their flagship model.

I'd say that this makes the GH-1, a MAJOR no brainer. 

So @stacker45, I took my GH-1s, outfit with the Grado G Cush (no Earzonk for ME!),  in hand today and hied myself to Overture Audio, my local Grado dealer, who has that GS1000i I mentioned.  They had a great jazz piece repetitively playing on their Moon Neo 430a, and I compared the GH-1 to the GS1000i.

Try as I might not to, I preferred the GS1000i.  It had a bit more transparency, more than a bit more bass, and the clearer positioning of instruments in the sound stage.  I really wanted to prefer the GH-1, since I own it and could then mark the GS1000i off my list (after all, I already have the GS1000e), but I could not.

CRAP!  The only obstacle I now have to buying those GS1000i's (other than my limited pocketbook, of course), is that my GS1000e that I got last MARCH is STILL improving as I use it.  It is known to require LOTS of burn in, and with 20 Grado headphones (and 5 others that I also use), no one gets a lot of use, so I would guess that the GS1000es are still less than 100 hours.  HE1000s were shown to take at least 130 and said to take more than 150 to reach their stable state, and they are not particularly slow to burn in, so I guess I will be doing more listening with my GS1000e to improve them and perhaps find they surpass the GH-1 and the GS1000i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back