Grado Fan Club!
Dec 17, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #29,446 of 66,293
  So the burning-in begins with the new PS1Ke. 
o2smile.gif

I'm feeling like I'm at home again right where I belong.

Congratz Buddy!, in a way,  I envy you, because you now have the piece of mind of knowing for sure, that the Stax aren't for you. 
redface.gif

I don't understand the practice of letting a pair of headphone play by themsemselves, to burn them in faster.

As I've said before, I think that burn in makes a noticable, but subltle difference. In my opinion, you have to like the sound, out of the box, because if you hate it, no amount of burn in will make you like the the sound of a pair of headphones.

Bottom line, if one of my Grados is playing, I want to be in on the experience.
o2smile.gif

Same here!
blink.gif

I would if I had a spare pairof drivers for each HP1000!
tongue_smile.gif

I predict this auction will go for anywhere from the $2500 opening bid to (MAYBE) close to $3000, but certainly no more.

I don't know many people who would buy more than pair of identical headphones, especially very expensive ones, like the HP1000. If I'd buy say 3 pairs of HP1000, I might (Joseph willing), buy a spair pair of drivers, but not 6, wich would account for 12 drivers for 3 pairs of headphones, sorry, but my skepticism prevents me from believing that, Worms.

As for the amount that they will sell for, these have, A LOT, going for them.

1) - HP1000 (HP1) most desirable model
2) - Mint (new?), condition
3) - Joseph Grado Signature Cable...
4) - Original box, with foam
5) - Spare drivers (VERY rare)

I agree that they won't go over $3000, because I think that the HP2 that just popped up, will hurt them.
Putting up a pair of HP2 for sale at the same time is a great move on that seller's part. I think that his HP2 will ride on the mint HP1's wave, and bring his HP2's selling price, up. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #29,447 of 66,293
  Congratz Buddy!, in a way,  I envy you, because you now have the piece of mind of knowing for sure, that the Stax aren't for you. 
size]

I don't understand the practice of letting a pair of headphone play by themsemselves, to burn them in faster.

As I've said before, I think that burn in makes a noticable, but subltle difference. In my opinion, you have to like the sound, out of the box, because if you hate it, no amount of burn in will make you like the the sound of a pair of headphones.

Bottom line, if one of my Grados is playing, I want to be in on the experience.
o2smile.gif

Thanks Stacker…I did like the sound of both the Stax, but both hurt my ears hurt, so I couldn't enjoy them. I know the Grado's don't hurt my ears so...

I also like to hear my Grado's as they burn-in, but will give them a couple of hrs a day of burn-in while not listening. I absolutely agree with you that either like a sound-signature or not right from the start, but I do believe in burn-in. I find the bass to tighten and the sound to open nicely after burn-in. BTW, the PS1K sounds great out of the box, but the sound definitely needs to open up.

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #29,448 of 66,293
@joseph69, how would you characterize any differences in sound between your new PS1000e and your PS1000? I realize 1) you are still burning in the PS1000e and 2) you no longer have the PS1000 to compare, but hey, if the question weren't hard I would not have asked you!

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #29,450 of 66,293
@joseph69, how would you characterize any differences in sound between your new PS1000e and your PS1000? I realize 1) you are still burning in the PS1000e and 2) you no longer have the PS1000 to compare, but hey, if the question weren't hard I would not have asked you!

@kayandjohn I'm interested too. Watch this space. No pressure joseph69 hahaha.

I only have 4hrs on them, but as I said when I borrowed the (e) series from TCC and listened to both side by side the PS1K had  a mid-bass hump which made the vocals sound extremely thick/rich which I really liked, but the percussion instruments/air suffered from the mid-bass hump at times. The PS1Ke percussion is clearer and punchier (which is what I stated when I borrowed them) and the instrument separation sounds clearer/wider. I could have bought the NOS-PS1K but I went with the (e) simplely because of the percussion instruments which left a better impression with me than the PS1K…but I wouldn't have sold my PS1K to buy the (e) series either…I don't think! 
confused_face.gif
 They're both slightly different sounding HP's, but I do feel the (e) will pull ahead for me after burn-in due to being clearer and having more instrument separation and not having the mid-bass hump like the PS1K. I'll keep you posted.
[size=x-small]BTW, the (e) series sound [/size]nice[size=x-small] right out of the box, but of course still need to open up…for sure.[/size]

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #29,451 of 66,293
Ladies and Gents...

I am in he UK where Grado can be expensive compared to the dollar. I am looking at buying some GS1000e from the US and would appreciate if anyone could private message me the best place to get a great deal new.

I know when I bought some in the US quite a few years back, when they were originally released, I got a good deal as a headfi member using some of the associated dealers discount for members.

It would be good of any of you could let me know where I can source some new with a decent deal these days.

PM me, as it's never great to discuss deals openly unless the discount is advertised openly. I know Grado don't sell direct to the UK but I would be buying in the US. search engines tend to divert to the local area so researching prices isn't easy sat in England!

Cheers

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #29,452 of 66,293

I realise that you didn't ask for my opinion, but since I've had both, the PS1000 and the e version, I thought I'd share my impressions.

This is what I like about the two versions.

PS1000: Comfort
               Mid bass (gives them a rich, full, sound)
               Treble (livelier) good with some recording
               Soundstage (slightly bigger)
               Cable (smaller, more managable)

PS1000e:''Sub'' bass 
                 Treble (more polite) good with some recordings
                 More powerful 

Even though I ended up preferring the old PS1000, I can easily understand how some would like the e version better.

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #29,453 of 66,293

I realise that you didn't ask for my opinion, but since I've had both, the PS1000 and the e version, I thought I'd share my impressions.

More powerful 

Even though I ended up preferring the old PS1000, I can easily understand how some would like the e version better.

Thanks, stacker45!  I appreciate your opinion.

The Grado dealer showed me with great pride the Ether C that they had just gotten, hooked up to the super fantastic Moon Neo 430 DAC/amp.  I listened and thought it was pretty good, but something seemed "off."  I grabbed the Grado GS1000i that they had sitting nearby and plugged it into the same source and listened.

SOOOOO much better!

I instantly realized what was "off."  The Ether C is a closed headphone!  I didn't realize that when I put it on.  The comparison emphasized what I already knew... that I love the open transparency of trebles that the Grado gives.  In fact, the more I hear their GS1000i, the more I like it better than my GS1000e, since as we all know, the e series tames the trebles and enhances the bass.  Then I realize that my PS1000 (not e) will please me more than the PS1000e, which makes that same e-related subduing of trebles (and is even better than the GS1000i - at least that is what I keep telling myself as I pine for that GS1000i!).

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #29,454 of 66,293

More powerful 

Glad you gave your opinion.

Funny, I hear more richness with the PS1K as you said due to the mid-bass, but less treble and a smaller sound-stage than the (e) series. BUT, all of this could very well be related to using my PWDll…which I never heard with my PS1K? In any case, I was just listening to the Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" with the PS1Ke and found the sound-stage to be quite big and the clarity/instrument separation quite impressive for a HP with just over 5-hrs burn-in. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #29,455 of 66,293
  Thanks, stacker45!  I appreciate your opinion.

The Grado dealer showed me with great pride the Ether C that they had just gotten, hooked up to the super fantastic Moon Neo 430 DAC/amp.  I listened and thought it was pretty good, but something seemed "off."  I grabbed the Grado GS1000i that they had sitting nearby and plugged it into the same source and listened.

SOOOOO much better!

I instantly realized what was "off."  The Ether C is a closed headphone!  I didn't realize that when I put it on.  The comparison emphasized what I already knew... that I love the open transparency of trebles that the Grado gives.  In fact, the more I hear their GS1000i, the more I like it better than my GS1000e, since as we all know, the e series tames the trebles and enhances the bass.  Then I realize that my PS1000 (not e) will please me more than the PS1000e, which makes that same e-related subduing of trebles (and is even better than the GS1000i - at least that is what I keep telling myself as I pine for that GS1000i!).

I hven't heard the GS1000e, but I did hear the i version, and I remember telling my salesman that they struck a nice balance compared to my first gen GS1000 (sold), and I felt that they offered a better price vs performance ratio, than the PS1000.

That being said,as long as there are new GH-1 still for sale, I can't recommand the GS1000i or e. The GH-1 are amazing headphones. Install a pair of G-cush, and you're in PS1000 territory. If you want a more intimate sound, you simply go with the L-cush. In my opinion, with the L-cush, the GH-1 sounds like a mix of the best of the PS500 and RS1i.

If you think about it, not many Grados can sound good with the G, and L, earpads, so if you order a pair of G-cush, you effectively get two pairs of headphones with the GH-1.

As you know, I have been VERY hard on Grado regarding the GH-1. I've complained about the packaging, the 1/8 connector, the plastic gimbals, and the lack of a carrying bag, and/or, extension cable.

IIn my opinion, with the GH-1, you get a relatively affordable, very comfortable, awesome sounding pair of headphones, that can, for a few extra dollars for G earpads, compete with their flagship model.

I'd say that this makes the GH-1, a MAJOR no brainer. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #29,456 of 66,293
I sold my Ps1000e and Gs1000e recently. While I found the ps1ke to be just down right excellent in the mids in treble, certainly more balanced than the ps1000, the bass on both the Gs and ps1k(e) was quite disconcerting. To me it just doesn't sound true. I felt there is a lack of impact when the music call for it. The bass hits you like a bunch of feathered pillows! Keep in mind I'm not talking about the damn electronic music that people seem to like so much these days, I'm talkin about real music here folks! Classic rock for example, they just don't cut the mustard for rock music!
-rant over. :D

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #29,457 of 66,293
  Glad you gave your opinion.

Funny, I hear more richness with the PS1K as you said due to the mid-bass, but less treble and a smaller sound-stage than the (e) series. BUT, all of this could very well be related to using my PWDll…which I never heard with my PS1K? In any case, I was just listening to the Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" with the PS1Ke and found the sound-stage to be quite big and the clarity/instrument separation quite impressive for a HP with just over 5-hrs burn-in. 

Thanks, I realise that my impressions arent as thorough as John's, first because I don't know how to make those nice multi colored charts, and second because let's face it, I'm way too lazy.
wink.gif

Before posting this, I figured I'd whip out my PS1000, and listen to my original, 120 grams LP of Brothers In Arms, straight from the headphone output of my Marantz 2220B reciever. I used my Marantz 6300 (Ortofon 2M Blue) turntable. The first thing that struck me was how rich, Knopfler's voice sounded. Instrument separation is not one of vinyl's strong points, but soundstage size is, and this LP was no exeption. 

Just out of curiosity Joseph, have you ever thought about buying a pair of HP1000?

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #29,458 of 66,293

Thanks, I realise that my impressions arent as thorough as John's, first because I don't know how to make those nice multi colored charts, and second because let's face it, I'm way too lazy.
wink.gif

Before posting this, I figured I'd whip out my PS1000, and listen to my original, 120 grams LP of Brothers In Arms, straight from the headphone output of my Marantz 2220B reciever. I used my Marantz 6300 (Ortofon 2M Blue) turntable. The first thing that struck me was how rich, Knopfler's voice sounded. Instrument separation is not one of vinyl's strong points, but soundstage size is, and this LP was no exeption. 

Just out of curiosity Joseph, have you ever thought about buying a pair of HP1000?

@stacker45 feel free to borrow any of my multicolor charts... you need not conform your explanation to their content.  I simply drop them in so readers will say to themselves, "Wow!  This guy puts in multicolored charts.  He must REALLY know what he is talking about."

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #29,459 of 66,293

wink.gif

I agree 100% that the PS1K vocals are extremely rich…I hope with time the (e) vocals sound the same, but they probably won't because they don't have the mid-bass the PS1K has.

No, I really never thought of buying an HP-1000…I would need to hear one first (which is impossible)  but maybe if I heard one I might just love it…who knows?

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #29,460 of 66,293
Selling my SR325is in favour of my SR60e. The difference is pretty minor with bowl pads on I find, 325 has a bit more treble but i prefer the smoother sound of the 60e, + the much lighter cable.

Wonder if it's worth trying more of the e series if l like the 60e... hmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back