Grado Fan Club!
Dec 16, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #29,431 of 65,773
Welcome home buddy!

I was having some weird grounding issues with my Grado cable, after yelling at it for a bit, it works now. :p

Listening to some Bob Segarini on pink splatter vinyl mmm...

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #29,432 of 65,773

hehehe, stacker ole boy why so mistrusting in your fellow man?
biggrin.gif

Seriously thou
wink_face.gif
 according to the ad, he states that he has several HP1000 (if you check his feedback, he's certainly sold some high priced gears) which might sound strange but I've seen over the years that quite a few people that have more than a couple of pairs of HP1000's under their bed. Also since many had to go through Joseph Grado directly, it seems many of them develop some sort of friendship with the man so who knows? I could've swore I've read about buying an extra pair of HP1000 drivers somewhere...

I admit that I am VERY skeptical by nature Mr Wormsdriver , that is, IF, you really are Wormsdriver, and not some computer wiz, who stole his Head-Fi account.
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, imagine that you wanted to sell one, of your two pairs of HP1000. Would you sell your spaire black star drivers along with them, or would you hold on to them, untill you sold your remaining pair of HP1000?

Considering the fact that the black star drivers have never been rarer than they are today, especially now that Joseph Grado is no longer with us, I would hold on to mine for the very reason why I'd bought them in the first place,...just in case!

As for the drivers provenance, I would think that if Joseph wanted to do right by his friend, he would have offered to repair his headphone for free, or for the cost of the driver(s). I'm not crticizing Joseph here, I'm simply speculating from what was written, by people with whom he has done buisness with.

Anyway, I can't wait to see how this will play out, now that a pair of HP2 has just popped up, any prédictions?
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #29,433 of 65,773
K&J will we see a hf2 in the collection soon?

I don't think so. @wormsdriver was at a great, Black Friday, never-to-be-seen-again price. At the going rate, which is about 50% higher, it is lower on my list of headphone acquisitions than, say, the top of line Grado IEMs, that is, the GR10e (which I JUST ordered from Overture Audio for my own Christmas present!).

I actually have some method to what might seem binge Grado buying. I rank possibilities on three criteria... Performance (best of class, middle of road, or less than average), "diversity" (is it just another variation of a Grado model I have, e.g., SR325is, or is it way different, like a Grado IEM), and "rapport" (how much do I want it and how much do I identify with the product or company (alway top score of 3 with Grado!).

I then divide the total score by the cost of the item to get a "Satisfaction Efficiency" (yep, I'm an engineer).

List at the moment:

1) Upgrade my Schiit BiFrost Uber USB2 to the Multibit option (ordered, not yet received)
2) GR10e IEMs (ordered, not yet received)
3) RS2 with buttons, original type (HHAARRDD to find in good condition... rarer than vintage buttoned RS1)
4) Oppo HA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC for iPhone
5) HF-2

Others lower on the list include the Grado PS1000e, GS1000i, the Chord Mojo, the Chord Hugo, and the Shure SE846 IEMs.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #29,435 of 65,773
So the burning-in begins with the new PS1Ke. :o2smile:
I'm feeling like I'm at home again right where I belong.

Remember, follow Grado's instructions by burning them in only through normal listening, not by extended unattended playing sessions!

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #29,436 of 65,773
Remember, follow Grado's instructions by burning them in only through normal listening, not by extended unattended playing sessions!

Absolutely, either I burn them in by listening, or if I'm not listening I'll run them through an iPod with mixed Genre's at low/moderate volumes for a couple of hours, then lat them rest for about 4 hours and repeat as I've done with all of my Grados with no issue at all. 
smile.gif

Thanks!

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #29,437 of 65,773
Hello.

Try the RS2e and you will forget the PS500 quick!
The sound is 99% same, and he is much much lighter.

With G-Size Foam you get an crazy amazing soundstage,
but the oberall sound is too bright and bass is very reduced!
Perfekt for instrumental classic and jazz.

The Standart Size Foam is for the rest, und 80% of the
Time on my RS2e. All music have a good balance
with these on, the vocals are not overtrebled.

I much prefer the RS2e ober the PS500 and PS500e.
The RS1 i could not testing.

The GS1000e is an little step up, and works better
with the G-Cushons, but not perfect in my opinion.

When listen both with classic with the same Foam on.
the improvement from the GS1000e over the RS2e
is little but is there!
The really GS1000e rocks! Maybe my next step-up...

Greetings from germany

Ingo

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #29,438 of 65,773
Hello.

Try the RS2e and you will forget the PS500 quick!
The sound is 99% same, and he is much much lighter.

With G-Size Foam you get an crazy amazing soundstage,
but the oberall sound is too bright and bass is very reduced!
Perfekt for instrumental classic and jazz.

The Standart Size Foam is for the rest, und 80% of the
Time on my RS2e. All music have a good balance
with these on, the vocals are not overtrebled.

I much prefer the RS2e ober the PS500 and PS500e.
The RS1 i could not testing.

The GS1000e is an little step up, and works better
with the G-Cushons, but not perfect in my opinion.

When listen both with classic with the same Foam on.
the improvement from the GS1000e over the RS2e
is little but is there!
The really GS1000e rocks! Maybe my next step-up...

Greetings from germany

Ingo

blink.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #29,439 of 65,773

hehehe, stacker ole boy why so mistrusting in your fellow man?
biggrin.gif

Seriously thou
wink_face.gif
 according to the ad, he states that he has several HP1000 (if you check his feedback, he's certainly sold some high priced gears) which might sound strange but I've seen over the years that quite a few people that have more than a couple of pairs of HP1000's under their bed. Also since many had to go through Joseph Grado directly, it seems many of them develop some sort of friendship with the man so who knows? I could've swore I've read about buying an extra pair of HP1000 drivers somewhere...

I admit that I am VERY skeptical by nature Mr Wormsdriver , that is, IF, you really are Wormsdriver, and not some computer wiz, who stole his Head-Fi account.
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, imagine that you wanted to sell one, of your two pairs of HP1000. Would you sell your spaire black star drivers along with them, or would you hold on to them, untill you sold your remaining pair of HP1000?

Considering the fact that the black star drivers have never been rarer than they are today, especially now that Joseph Grado is no longer with us, I would hold on to mine for the very reason why I'd bought them in the first place,...just in case!

As for the drivers provenance, I would think that if Joseph wanted to do right by his friend, he would have offered to repair his headphone for free, or for the cost of the driver(s). I'm not crticizing Joseph here, I'm simply speculating from what was written, by people with whom he has done buisness with.

Anyway, I can't wait to see how this will play out, now that a pair of HP2 has just popped up, any prédictions?
wink.gif

I would if I had a spare pairof drivers for each HP1000!
tongue_smile.gif

I predict this auction will go for anywhere from the $2500 opening bid to (MAYBE) close to $3000, but certainly no more.

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #29,440 of 65,773

K&J will we see a hf2 in the collection soon?

I don't think so. @wormsdriver was at a great, Black Friday, never-to-be-seen-again price. At the going rate, which is about 50% higher, it is lower on my list of headphone acquisitions than, say, the top of line Grado IEMs, that is, the GR10e (which I JUST ordered from Overture Audio for my own Christmas present!).

I actually have some method to what might seem binge Grado buying. I rank possibilities on three criteria... Performance (best of class, middle of road, or less than average), "diversity" (is it just another variation of a Grado model I have, e.g., SR325is, or is it way different, like a Grado IEM), and "rapport" (how much do I want it and how much do I identify with the product or company (alway top score of 3 with Grado!).

I then divide the total score by the cost of the item to get a "Satisfaction Efficiency" (yep, I'm an engineer).

List at the moment:

1) Upgrade my Schiit BiFrost Uber USB2 to the Multibit option (ordered, not yet received)
2) GR10e IEMs (ordered, not yet received)
3) RS2 with buttons, original type (HHAARRDD to find in good condition... rarer than vintage buttoned RS1)
4) Oppo HA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC for iPhone
5) HF-2

Others lower on the list include the Grado PS1000e, GS1000i, the Chord Mojo, the Chord Hugo, and the Shure SE846 IEMs.

oh man congrats on the Gr10e, it was certainly VERY high on my list, but I didn't wanna pay full retail on 'em. I would love to hear them someday. Instead, I ordered an Astell & Kern JH Audio Layla a couple days ago, JEEEZ What was I thinking!?
1. I hope they fit ok, 2. I hope I can tolerate them since iems usually do more harm than good to my ears, 3. I hope they blow me away (if 1&2  work out) 3. I hope their price doesn't keep falling too rapidly!...

Oh, btw John, I don't see my MAD Ear+ HD that I have for sale on your list above? It would sure pair fantastically with AT LEAST 23 of your headphones!
biggrin.gif
wink_face.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #29,443 of 65,773
oh man congrats on the Gr10e, it was certainly VERY high on my list, but I didn't wanna pay full retail on 'em. I would love to hear them someday. Instead, I ordered an Astell & Kern JH Audio Layla a couple days ago, JEEEZ What was I thinking!?
1. I hope they fit ok, 2. I hope I can tolerate them since iems usually do more harm than good to my ears, 3. I hope they blow me away (if 1&2  work out) 3. I hope their price doesn't keep falling too rapidly!...

Oh, btw John, I don't see my MAD Ear+ HD that I have for sale on your list above? It would sure pair fantastically with AT LEAST 23 of your headphones!:D :wink_face:

Oh I thought of it... But you were looking at trades not $, and I can't seem to give up any headphones except maybe my Beyer T 5 p, and (most importantly) I have no place to put Yet Another Amp, having the Joseph Grado HPA1, the Grado RA-1, the Schiit Lyr 2, the HiFiMAN EF-6, and the Sennheiser HDVD 800. But I indeed know that it pairs fantastically with All Grados!

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #29,444 of 65,773

Oh, btw John, I don't see my MAD Ear+ HD that I have for sale on your list above? It would sure pair fantastically with AT LEAST 23 of your headphones!
biggrin.gif
wink_face.gif

Oh I thought of it... But you were looking at trades not $, and I can't seem to give up any headphones except maybe my Beyer T 5 p, and (most importantly) I have no place to put Yet Another Amp, having the Joseph Grado HPA1, the Grado RA-1, the Schiit Lyr 2, the HiFiMAN EF-6, and the Sennheiser HDVD 800.

hehehe, i thought for sure you could easily make room for one more listening station in your house!
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #29,445 of 65,773
Original GS1000 with some Ludovico Einaudi makes for a great afternoon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back