Grado Fan Club!
Oct 19, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #28,592 of 65,632
  My bad.......senior moment.

In the future, make sure that you actually know what the hell you're talking about, before posting. Do you know how much time I have waisted searching for a pair of headphones that don't even exist. I even wrote to AKG, and told them off, for not up dating their website, they're going to think that I'm an idiot, because of you....little Mr. know it all
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

no sweat !  
beerchug.gif
 i have them all the time, 

Thanks for setting the record straight Jay, I just hope that the know it all NEWB above, is taking notes.
rolleyes.gif

Oh! and just to be clear, I was just messing with you boyd. I took advantage of the fact that you are new here, and don't know me, so you couldn't know that I like to kid around sometimes.
tongue.gif

I hope you'll forgive me.

No hard feelings Buddy.
beerchug.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #28,593 of 65,632

I'm disapointed that my dealer took so long to respond. I have been doing buisness with Fillion for almost 25 years, so I know the owner pretty well, and you can be sure that I'm going to inquire about why they aven't responded faster.

I live within walking distance from Fillion, so I have never communicated with them through the internet. I have referred MANY people over the years, and the majority of them have become regular Fillion customers. In my opinion, one unsatisfied customer, is one too many, especially if I was the one who referred that cutomer.
mad.gif

At least, you know that I wasn't B.S. you, about the great deal on the PS500. I'm sorry that you weren't able to buy them.

FYI, I just sold my GS1000, and the shipping cost from Montréal to Japan was, $113.94.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are ''r70x''
confused.gif

I have a good guess why they reply late.

I think as I mentioned above, the main reason being Pascal is not comfortable with English. More than that, my e-mail history, it seems like Pascal forwarded it to Person B the next day, however that Person B forwarded it to Person C 2 days later, which is why it became 4 days. I think Person C, the last person, Nicolas e-mailed me the same day he read my e-mail. So... there's that. Plus that particular day I went to a remote location with bad cellphone signal so, I respond to Nicolas's e-mail like, 48 hours after his e-mail, I'm not any better either lol.

What did you use for shipping Stacker? Canada post?

I was looking for Grado complements and it's Audio-Technica R70x. All Audio-Technica (that's not super expensive) technically all looks the same, I don't know why this one just looks cheaper in my eye, especially the cable. That reminds me of criticism directed towards Grado build quality, which I think is unjust.

Grado design is simplicity at it's best. Their quality control though is stupidity at it's best.

Haha, I just try to made that rhymn, I don't honestly think Grado QC is stupid, they just need to do a better job at it.

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #28,594 of 65,632

I have a good guess why they reply late.

I think as I mentioned above, the main reason being Pascal is not comfortable with English. More than that, my e-mail history, it seems like Pascal forwarded it to Person B the next day, however that Person B forwarded it to Person C 2 days later, which is why it became 4 days. I think Person C, the last person, Nicolas e-mailed me the same day he read my e-mail. So... there's that. Plus that particular day I went to a remote location with bad cellphone signal so, I respond to Nicolas's e-mail like, 48 hours after his e-mail, I'm not any better either lol.

What did you use for shipping Stacker? Canada post?

I was looking for Grado complements and it's Audio-Technica R70x. All Audio-Technica (that's not super expensive) technically all looks the same, I don't know why this one just looks cheaper in my eye, especially the cable. That reminds me of criticism directed towards Grado build quality, which I think is unjust.

Grado design is simplicity at it's best. Their quality control though is stupidity at it's best.

Haha, I just try to made that rhymn, I don't honestly think Grado QC is stupid, they just need to do a better job at it.

Thanks for setting the record straight. Nicolas is on top of his game so I'm not surprised that he was on top of it, as soon as he was brought in the deal.

Just out of curiousity, I'm still going to ask Pascal how the e-mail are handled.

Like Grado, Fillion is a family owned buisness. Next year, they will be celebreating their 60th anniversary. Like Jonathan Grado, Samuel Fillion, is now the third generation Fillion, that's involved in the family buisness.

I did ship my GS1000 via Canada Post's, air mail.

Please don't get me started about Grado's quality control. Some of the things that gets by them, are so obvious, that they wouldn't even get by a blind person's guide dog!
rolleyes.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #28,595 of 65,632

Thanks for setting the record straight. Nicolas is on top of his game so I'm not surprised that he was on top of it, as soon as he was brought in the deal.

Just out of curiousity, I'm still going to ask Pascal how the e-mail are handled.

Like Grado, Fillion is a family owned buisness. Next year, they will be celebreating their 60th anniversary. Like Jonathan Grado, Samuel Fillion, is now the third generation Fillion, that's involved in the family buisness.

I did ship my GS1000 via Canada Post's, air mail.

Please don't get me started about Grado's quality control. Some of the things that gets by them, are so obvious, that they wouldn't even get by a blind person's guide dog!
rolleyes.gif

Honestly I probably think the 2 day gap between Person B to Nicolas is because of holiday (Sunday maybe or something?). I'm not sure though, timezone difference and all that. I think I pulled the trigger on r70x on late Tuesday, left on Wednesday and I read Nicolas's email on Thursday after I got back. I've paid for the r70x at that point and was beat from the trip to boot so I didn't reply his e-mail until friday so I hold off 2 days in getting back to him as well.

But yeah if I didn't pull the trigger on r70x I might still somehow get the ps500 one way or another. Let's say I might wait for a chance somebody offering a grey area handcarry service from Canada to Asia for example. The customs calculation is slanted weirdly where I live. One thing is that everything from Canada is tax on USD instead. Not a conversion either. So on a 250 CAD item, I will have to pay 30% out of 250 USD value and not 190-200 USD value.

Worse than that that made me rethink twice (had I not bought the r70x) is that the shipping cost and insurance incur quite some % more than the 30% but they don't exactly write outright in the tax form. My guess after a couple time of doing it though is that it incurred a ~45% range on the shipping cost. So my estimation of a $40-$45 shipping and Nicolas's estimation of of ~80 to 110 shipping is totally different tax-wise, in USD. Despite the fact that my estimation and the shipping cost is only differed by ~65 CAD, the tax I'll have to pay on them is what I thought 22 USD vs. what would be 55 USD.

This only happened to Canada though, I don't know why. They just hit everything with USD if items comes from Canada, in rare times I heard from Australia is like that too but I never experienced it myself. I don't know what the country customs department have against Canada really!

Well the point is moot based on the cheap domestic r70x price that I pulled the trigger on before I saw Nicolas's reply. But even if I hadn't I would think twice on the extra 30 USD tax based on the actual shipping cost alone. I might still pull the trigger on the ps500 though, maybe get a little creative on the side. Like try finding some grey area handcarry for a fee service.

To be honest, I really think the r70x sold locally is not exactly from Audio-Technica authorized channel. The warranty card is Japanese for one and there's no local warranty card to be found (unlike usual). Plus if we're considering $250 on a $350 msrp on a new product, it sounds like unnecessary price-destroying  to me.

How would western hemisphere feel if they know r70x is $250 where I'm at and $350 on theirs, lol. $250 is even a slight more expensive if we're talking about today's exchange rate. Google told me it's $235 as per today. I mean, r70x is pretty new, and $235 to $350 is pretty far.

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #28,596 of 65,632
That said, honestly the r70x sounds so much like a Grado that doesn't have midrange bite and ability to portray vocals in that way, which is for my inner ear condition = perfect, but for my natural preference = boring as heck. I've been listening to them for 4 hours straight though.

And hey, finally I got to use my Schiit at 100% windows volume and 9 o' clock volume pot with the 470-ohm resistance of the r70x.
I can't get past 7 o'clock on my Schiit with my Grado so that was a slight problem (and with 25% windows volume at that).

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #28,598 of 65,632
Hi, folks,

10 days now in the wilds of upper lower peninsula of Michigan, roughing it in the woods on a lake near Traverse City. I'm rediscovering the beauty of the Grado PS500s, driven by the Grado RA-1 amp (yes, really roughing it!). Man, these sound good with Sarah McLachlan!

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #28,599 of 65,632
Freeeeeaky... was cleaning out the glovebox of my fiat and found the attached. Watch yourself up there, cuz they like to frame guys like you and me... (a reverse racism thing i guess; probably michael moores doing) but yeah... i went up on vacation in october of 2006... they extended my reservation till novembef 28, 2007 lol.
It was a total frame job though, i always control my substances, and obtaining narcotics by fraud?!? Well how the hell else is a guy gonna get narcotics? Walk into a ********* McDonald's and order 'em? And how ya gonna try to hold kangaroo court in both felony circuit and misdemeanor district? I was having fun on little traverse lake and long lake, (nope.... not the lawless intetnational waters i thought they were) 1st man in histoty to lead cops on a high-speed (pun intended) paddleboat chase. Dont ask how, but i lost control on a tight curve dodging some lilly pads and rolled her a few times but had my snoopy life jacket on; had no choice, those lilly pads and seaweed patches were gonna take out my rudder like spike strips on us-131. Anyway, i feel they were outta their jurisdiction when i got beyond the bouies but as i later learned on a 13 hr flight to china in 2011, those fascists are so arrogant that they think they control the land seas and even the heavens. I will admit i misunderstood that saying "possession is 9/10ths of the law" when i swallowed everything to put em in my jurisdiction (i consider my body an embassy in americas red-light district and claim diplomatic immunity for anything that goes on within) but i had it all wrong, apparently possession is 9/10ths of the law in that they can hit you with 9 different possession charges if you yell out during your paddle boat getaway "you'll never catch me! I just swallowed x, x, xx, xzx, zx, z, xx, x and 10 grams of xxxxzxx! no speedboat propeller known to man can catch me on a paddle boat full of that much jet fuel!. Its me spinach, n im popeye the sailor man! yukukukukuk!" While shooting bottle rockets like deck guns toward their encroaching naval fleet (i still maintain i lit those off in celebration of the country, not assault on an officer + unlawful use of a projectile/missile... thats 100% true btw, i did not make that last charge up).

What was i saying?
Oh yea, be careful mr kayandjohn, cuz now u know they lock up decent law abiding folks for no apparent reason!
And it looks like the pics show i ended up paying over 2 grand to accept their hospitality and insistance that i holiday in the county for 4.5 months and then 6 months, consecutive, not concurrent.

Anyways, stay away from a brick building with no windows at 328 washington st .... grand traverse motel my azz.
Stay safe!

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #28,600 of 65,632
Hi everyone,
I have WA6 and I can hear hum noise from both amp and Grado headphone.
I tried other tubes but still I can hear the noise.
Is this normal?
I want to hear from other WA6 user.
Thanks!

Not normal.

But you haven't given enough info for any guesses. You say "both amp and headphone"??? That's two different problems.

If you put your ear near the amp and hear hum, that could be a bad (or loose) transformer or dc on the ac line (in some buildings) that the transformer reacts to.

If you hear hum through the headphones, go back to basics and check everything -- rectifier tube, driver tubes, interconnect cable, impedance switch, different headphones. Ground loop issues? Change one thing at a time & re-listen. Take your time, keep notes if it helps.

Good luck!

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #28,601 of 65,632
I've been putting my Grado 325e through its paces with some awesome old school bands like...

Alice in chains
Megadeth
Nirvana
Van Halen

The Grado pull of these genres with style!

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #28,602 of 65,632
Even though I opted to cancel the GS-Xmk2/HE1K combo and get the BHSE/SR-009…I placed an order to borrow the HE1K with TTC loaner program and will be receiving them Friday. I'll be using my MBP > Gungnir USB2 > GS-1…can't wait to hear these!

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #28,603 of 65,632
  Even though I opted to cancel the GS-Xmk2/HE1K combo and get the BHSE/SR-009…I placed an order to borrow the HE1K with TTC loaner program and will be receiving them Friday. I'll be using my MBP > Gungnir USB2 > GS-1…can't wait to hear these!

you never cease to amaze joseph !

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #28,605 of 65,632

Nice, looking forward to your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back