Grado Fan Club!
Dec 27, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #21,271 of 66,263
  Yes, he should.

I really wished that my local Best Buy had them, but they don't, and I even checked again before the Holidays thinking maybe they had gotten them, but they hadn't. I do believe they use the Beyerdynamics Tesla Technology, but I'm not 100% sure. If they do, I would think they sound very similar if not the same? Oh, and PLEASE STOP with the MCINTOSH...your making me want to try the MHA-100 badly after hearing what the Soloist did for the PS1K's!!! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

smile.gif

What do you like/dislike about the LCD-2F and why are you looking to sell them?
I'm asking because I'm interested in trying the LCD-X (or maybe the 2F) and you are interested in selling yours, and I've heard they are both very similar in sound with the X having a slight upper hand out of the two.

don't look into the light joseph !!

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #21,272 of 66,263

Yes, you should 
biggrin.gif

Yes, he should.

It's great to hear that you guys are enjoying your PS1K's so much. Joseph, your good review of the T1's has me thinking again about the Mcintosh MHP1000's. When I demoed them thru a MBP > AQ Dragonfly playing FLAC files the sound IMHO was nothing less than stunning.

I really wished that my local Best Buy had them, but they don't, and I even checked again before the Holidays thinking maybe they had gotten them, but they hadn't. I do believe they use the Beyerdynamics Tesla Technology, but I'm not 100% sure. If they do, I would think they sound very similar if not the same? Oh, and PLEASE STOP with the MCINTOSH...your making me want to try the MHA-100 badly after hearing what the Soloist did for the PS1K's!!! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

smile.gif

Had it before...bought LCD-2F...bought LCD-2 Rev. 2...sold RS1i and SR325is to get out of bankruptcy lol...now selling LCD-2F to get PS500e or RS1i...:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: If only one choice, which should I buy???

I'm asking because I'm interested in trying the LCD-X (or maybe the 2F) and you are interested in selling yours, and I've heard they are both very similar in sound with the X having a slight upper hand out of the two.

I really like tubes over solid state and not much for dacs built in with the amp.....but the MHA-100......I would love to hear....even though I think it is way too expensive to use just as an headphone amp.

It is truely stuning to look at  
L3000.gif

I would love to hear my HD800 on that amp...or better yet the Orpheus......just give me 10 minutes please.....or better yet, the whole Dark Side of The Moon album  
tongue.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #21,273 of 66,263
My experience too. Any of you tried mods with the G? Haven't tried any, but any of you tried the tape mod with the G? The Gs are so comfortable I'm now entertaining the idea of modding.

I tried the tape mod with the L-cush for a while. Improved bass impact but significantly reduced the signature Grado airiness. Instead, I did the vent mod (punching the felt behind the driver with a ballpoint pen) and that did the trick.

I'd assume taping up the G-cush would reduce airiness as well, and that's something that no amount of EQ can fix.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #21,274 of 66,263
  don't look into the light joseph !!

I'm really trying not to Jay, but its real, really hard, and hearing what the Soloist did, I so curious to hear the MHA-100/PS1K's. I need help, badly, it just doesn't stop!!!

I really like tubes over solid state and not much for dacs built in with the amp.....but the MHA-100......I would love to hear....even though I think it is way too expensive to use just as an headphone amp.

L3000.gif

I would love to hear my HD800 on that amp...or better yet the Orpheus......just give me 10 minutes please.....or better yet, the whole Dark Side of The Moon album  
tongue.gif

I know, it is very expensive, and your making a very good point, but like you, I would just love to hear the PS1K's out of it, but then you know what what happen if I did and was more blown away with the combo than the Soloist…I would have to institutionalize myself, for sure!

I tried the tape mod with the L-cush for a while. Improved bass impact but significantly reduced the signature Grado airiness. Instead, I did the vent mod (punching the felt behind the driver with a ballpoint pen) and that did the trick.

I'd assume taping up the G-cush would reduce airiness as well, and that's something that no amount of EQ can fix.

Which HP's are you talking about, the RS1i's?

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #21,275 of 66,263
Yes, he should.

I really wished that my local Best Buy had them, but they don't, and I even checked again before the Holidays thinking maybe they had gotten them, but they hadn't. I do believe they use the Beyerdynamics Tesla Technology, but I'm not 100% sure. If they do, I would think they sound very similar if not the same? Oh, and PLEASE STOP with the MCINTOSH...your making me want to try the MHA-100 badly after hearing what the Soloist did for the PS1K's!!! :veryevil:  :smile:

The LCD-2F didn't have a "wow" or x-factor on me. It's an "ordinarily" very good HP for me, for lack of better term. It has very good treble, very good mids, quite good bass. But it didn't "wow" me. There's nothing in it that excites me. Maybe a factor in this is that I came from Grados, RS1i and SR325is, which I still both have at the time. Pretty high standard already, quite sure you'all agree.

The LCD-2 Rev. 2, otoh, made me say "wow". They're "a step above the rest" kind of excellence, not "ordinarily" excellent at all. The mids are lush, as it should be..the treble are not bright, but not lacking and still detailed, in fact they sound...aaaah...silky smooth, velvety smoooooooth...and the bass, down into the sub-bass, they're just sooooo ARTICULATE...it's not boosted like other "bass" phones, it's just "there", present and, again, articulate=doesn't sound monotonous=each different bass note you can distinguish from each other, with all the realistic presence and full-bodied-ness. It's really a treat, a surprise listening to them. It's like, damn...a HP could sound like this?! It's like listening to a 3-way floorstanders now, coming from 2-way bookshelf speakers.

What also surprised me is that its doesn't sound dark to me at all as described by many. They're dead neutral; it's just that it has excellent, full-bodied and articulate bass. Compared to most cans, yeah sure they'll sound dark. But if you step back a little, then listen to it carefully, with transparent and truly neutral gears, mind you, it's really a pleasure to listen to. (See my sig for main tig used.)

I couldn't believe an HP could sound like this (did I say that already?...). Silky smooth...velvety smooth...(sorry I'm repeating myself again). The sound is just so sophisticated...it has a sound that sets it apart from others...like the Grado RS1i...I fully get how this cans single-handedly brought Audeze to the top of the Head-Fi world. Highly recommended.

I also get now how the O2 is transparent, by design, objectively and subjectively...and how important low output impedance of HP amps should be for those tight, articulate bass. I understand why many find the O2 to be bright...their phones are bright, or their phones are no longer producing bloomy and boosted bass caused by other high output impedance amps, or doesn't have that articulate bass of the LCD-2 Rev. 2.

So no reason for me to keep the LCD-2F...:)

Cheers.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #21,276 of 66,263

It is truely stuning to look at  :L3000:  

I would love to hear my HD800 on that amp...or better yet the Orpheus......just give me 10 minutes please.....or better yet, the whole Dark Side of The Moon album  :p
As I sit listening to the 30th Anniversary Edition of "Jazz at the Pawnshop" just purchased this morning from iTunes I can clearly see how a guy like me could easily spend the cost of a Mcintosh MHA-100 while blithely climbing up the audio gear ladder. Come to think of it I've already spent more than 2/3rds of that on what I'm presently using. It's hard to imagine what audio gear combo could wrench even more detail out of a recording made in 1976?

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #21,277 of 66,263
As I sit listening to the 30th Anniversary Edition of "Jazz at the Pawnshop" just purchased this morning from iTunes I can clearly see how a guy like me could easily spend the cost of a Mcintosh MHA-100 while blithely climbing up the audio gear ladder. Come to think of it I've already spent more than 2/3rds of that on what I'm presently using. It's hard to imagine what audio gear combo could wrench even more detail out of a recording made in 1976?

Oh, you haven't heard the DSD version yet...that would mean DSD native capable DACs (ca-ching!), players...etc etc...:D

Can't say enough good things about the Jazz Pawnshop albums. They're among my top 3 jazz albums (well 4, if you count Jazz at Pawnshop as 2 albums, or 5 of you count them as having 3 CDs), alongside "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, and the album "Duke Ellington and John Coltrane". I could listen to them all day long...with the RS1i and LCD-2 alternating by the hour...:) I miss my RS1i!

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #21,278 of 66,263
Oh, you haven't heard the DSD version yet...that would mean DSD native capable DACs (ca-ching!), players...etc etc...:D

Can't say enough good things about the Jazz Pawnshop albums. They're among my top 3 jazz albums (well 4, if you count Jazz at Pawnshop as 2 albums, or 5 of you count them as having 3 CDs), alongside "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, and the album "Duke Ellington and John Coltrane". I could listen to them all day long...with the RS1i and LCD-2 alternating by the hour...:) I miss my RS1i!
Might you include Bill Evans "Waltz for Debby" as a not to bad recording? Yes I'm limited by my DAC•ITx from enjoying DSD versions of my favorite recordings, but Christmas found me blessed with family and audio gear upgrade challenged. After X-mas sales, yeah that's the ticket.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #21,279 of 66,263
Might you include Bill Evans "Waltz for Debby" as a not to bad recording? Yes I'm limited by my DAC•ITx from enjoying DSD versions of my favorite recordings, but Christmas found me blessed with family and audio gear upgrade challenged. After X-mas sales, yeah that's the ticket.

Non greater than family...who btw all fall into sleep whenever their Daddy plays those audiophile grade Jazz recordings...lol

Bill Evans...ahh...I have "The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings 1961" Discs 2 and 3 (night sessions)...yeah, awesome jazz too...

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #21,280 of 66,263

L3000.gif

tongue.gif

Yeah, I hear you......sometimes you think.....it can't get any better than this....but It can always get better  
smile.gif

It is like the internet....there is no end  
tongue.gif

In the end, it is all bout enjoying the music, and that means something different to each and everyone of us.

Everybody has their own agenda on what they want...heck some even enjoy the gear more than the music.....this hobby is about whatever makes you happy.

For me ...I like a comfortable light can that will stay on my head when I find great synergy and PRat with my system....I tend to head bob....feet tap....and clap and smile....when everything is right....

For me...music soothes my sole and if i had too live with just one headphone and one amp.....I could live with my mad ear and a pair of RS1i  with no problem......although I would really miss the HD800....the RS1i and mad ear provide all the synergy and PRaT that I need to fully enjoy my music.

I am enjoying all types of blues more and more  as I get older.

enough rambling....but if one can afford a MHA-100 and they really want it....I say go for it....life is to short....be happy  
smile.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #21,281 of 66,263
With all these references, I am AFRAID to look up what a McIntosh MHA-100 is... Don't want to get hooked by a first dose of heroin.  I will remain Ignorant.  (If ignorance is bliss, then I am the happiest guy in the world!)

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #21,282 of 66,263
  With all these references, I am AFRAID to look up what a McIntosh MHA-100 is... Don't want to get hooked by a first dose of heroin.  I will remain Ignorant.  (If ignorance is bliss, then I am the happiest guy in the world!)

It is an amp....a $5000 amp....that i assume....sounds very nice  
tongue.gif

You should be very happy.....you have a wonderful collection of grado's at your house
smile.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #21,283 of 66,263
tongue.gif

You should be very happy.....you have a wonderful collection of grado's at your house
smile.gif

I am indeed VERY fortunate.

And since to me, Grado-approved puts an amp at the top of my list, I will be entirely content with my RA-1 and HPA-1.  If I were to look for another, it would be the Melos SHA-1 Gold tube amp, only because that is the amp that Joseph Grado recommended before developing his own, and is still used at Grado Labs for their own listening.  And it is cheaper, when you can find it.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #21,284 of 66,263

And since to me, Grado-approved puts an amp at the top of my list, I will be entirely content with my RA-1 and HPA-1.  If I were to look for another, it would be the Melos SHA-1 Gold tube amp, only because that is the amp that Joseph Grado recommended before developing his own, and is still used at Grado Labs for their own listening.  And it is cheaper, when you can find it.

I wonder what amps Grado Labs test the current models now. Still tubes (those you mentioned), or now solid states to keep up with the other preferences of the market. Looks like tge current "e" series are smoothed out and with more bass...looks SS tested to me...?

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #21,285 of 66,263

tongue.gif

smile.gif

If you are interested in the tube sound for your Grados...something like a WA6 would let you know if you liked the tube sound....without breaking the bank too much.......I have no idea about the Melos SHA-1.....but I assume you would be dropping a lot of coin on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back