Grado Fan Club!
Aug 14, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #17,866 of 65,938
HELP!!!  I am in need of a Grado Intervention Action! 

I find that since I got my Grado RS-1is a week ago today, they are essentially the ONLY headphones I listen to.  Except for using my Shure SE535s during some outdoor yard work and my Sennheiser HD 800s a bit just because, I have not been listening to any others of my 31 headphones & IEMs except these Grados.

Why?  Several reasons contribute:

1. I had a pair of Grado PS500s, which I foolishly parted with in a trade for some AKG 3003i IEMs (as well as some AKG K712s) - I then MISSED them, despite the fact that I LOVE the 3003i!
  2. I started looking for these after Claritas and others on this thread taught me that the RS-1s, as well as the SR225is, were the best representations of the essence of the "Grado house sound."
  3. After becoming convinced I needed the RS-1s to replace my PS500s, I stumbled upon them in an audio store that was within walking distance of the hotel I stayed in 2,300 miles away from home, when I traveled to Silverdale, WA for the memorial service for my father's passing.
  4. I will always associate these headphones, with their retro styling, with my father, since I bought them on a trip motivated by him.
  5. I had the opportunity to pick the better of two pairs in that audio store, for a headphone that shows the variations from copy to copy that is expected from hand-made items.

So I have been plodding my way through the 17,885 posts of this "Grado Fan Club" thread to wallow in the Grado experience (of course, while listening to my RS-1is).  To keep me somewhat productive, I have been compiling a chart of the songs that various folks cite in this thread as being especially excellent sounding on the Grado headphones. I will post it when it either becomes longer or when I make it through all 17,885 posts.  As I read, I'm pleased to see so many threads that point to the RS-1 as the "end game" goal of many folks who get the SR80 and woodify it, or get the SR 225i, or SR 325i. 

Yep... Grado Intervention Action needed here!!

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #17,867 of 65,938
Here's one more album to the RS1s.... Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live. The opening track should be enough to put you into a trance 
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #17,868 of 65,938
jimr101, it's not Pionners it's Pioneer, and it's not Marrants, it's Marantz, we're pretty big on spelling ear in the Gardo fun club trhead!

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #17,869 of 65,938
Okay guys, I'm hurting, and in need of some sympathy.  Since I started auditioning the HE-560's, the following things have occured:

1) My Burson Soloist started distorting horribly.  Turns out it needed the HP out cleaned, and 2 pin connectors were loose, but it took 2 days.

2) Yesterday my beloved Marantz SR-7002 went into perpetual protect mode, which is an amp fault.  Not worth fixing.  No more main system for the moment.

3) Comparing the 560's to the Alpha Dogs, I notice that one of my cats most likely chewed through the cable.  I can't make this up- my Alphas are totally out of commission until I get a new cable, which I just ordered.

I'm hurting guys.

Or the Grado gods are pissed that I'm playing with other headphones...

frown.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #17,871 of 65,938
  Okay guys, I'm hurting, and in need of some sympathy.  Since I started auditioning the HE-560's, the following things have occured:

1) My Burson Soloist started distorting horribly.  Turns out it needed the HP out cleaned, and 2 pin connectors were loose, but it took 2 days.

2) Yesterday my beloved Marantz SR-7002 went into perpetual protect mode, which is an amp fault.  Not worth fixing.  No more main system for the moment.

3) Comparing the 560's to the Alpha Dogs, I notice that one of my cats most likely chewed through the cable.  I can't make this up- my Alphas are totally out of commission until I get a new cable, which I just ordered.

I'm hurting guys.

frown.gif

Wow, Scott....run of bad luck, huh  
tongue.gif

J/K....hope you get your gear back up and running....how you liking the 560i ?

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #17,872 of 65,938
So the Alpha DOGS are out of comission because of one of the CATS, my question to you is, are the CATS still in comission, considering what they did to the DOGS?

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #17,873 of 65,938
Cheer up with this (hijinks in the middle)

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQxTkTw4cCY[/VIDEO]

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #17,875 of 65,938
  Wow, Scott....run of bad luck, huh  
tongue.gif

J/K....hope you get your gear back up and running....how you liking the 560i ?

When I can actually listen to them, they are one of the most amazing things I have ever heard.  For the first time, I am hearing the promise of planar, and without the multi-thousand dollar price tag.  In my opinion, these will be THE headphones to beat for a long time.  The HD-800 may fall a step or two.  The HE 560's are that good.  In every possible way, these are the best I have ever heard, and I include speakers in that comment.  And dudes, and have heard some speakers, know what I'm saying?

The integration of serious bass, into the mids, and the extension of the treble are eerily like Magnepans with a perfectly integrated sub.  Unbelievable.

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #17,876 of 65,938

I find that since I got my Grado RS-1is a week ago today, they are essentially the ONLY headphones I listen to.  Except for using my Shure SE535s during some outdoor yard work and my Sennheiser HD 800s a bit just because, I have not been listening to any others of my 31 headphones & IEMs except these Grados.

1. I had a pair of Grado PS500s, which I foolishly parted with in a trade for some AKG 3003i IEMs (as well as some AKG K712s) - I then MISSED them, despite the fact that I LOVE the 3003i!
  2. I started looking for these after Claritas and others on this thread taught me that the RS-1s, as well as the SR225is, were the best representations of the essence of the "Grado house sound."
  3. After becoming convinced I needed the RS-1s to replace my PS500s, I stumbled upon them in an audio store that was within walking distance of the hotel I stayed in 2,300 away from home, when I traveled to Silverdale, WA for the memorial service for my father's passing.
  4. I will always associate these headphones, with their retro styling, with my father, since I bought them on a trip motivated by him.
  5. I had the opportunity to pick the better of two pairs in that audio store, for a headphone that shows the variations from copy to copy that is expected from hand-made items.

So I have been plodding my way through the 17,885 posts of this "Grado Fan Club" thread to wallow in the Grado experience (of course, while listening to my RS-1is).  To keep me somewhat productive, I have been compiling a chart of the songs that various folks cite in this thread as being especially excellent sounding on the Grado headphones. I will post it when it either becomes longer or when I make it through all 17,885 posts.  As I read, I'm pleased to see so many threads that point to the RS-1 as the "end game" goal of many folks who get the SR80 and woodify it, or get the SR 225i, or SR 325i. 

"any of my 31 headphones & IEM's" 
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

jimr101, it's not Pionners it's Pioneer, and it's not Marrants, it's Marantz, we're pretty big on spelling ear in the Gardo fun club trhead!

rolleyes.gif

I'm hurting guys.

frown.gif

Just might be the GRADO GOD'S!!! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Good luck with fixing the issues with your set-up, so you can get back to the music! 
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #17,877 of 65,938

I'm hurting guys.

frown.gif

breathe scott , breathe, it will get better

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #17,878 of 65,938
When I can actually listen to them, they are one of the most amazing things I have ever heard.  For the first time, I am hearing the promise of planar, and without the multi-thousand dollar price tag.  In my opinion, these will be THE headphones to beat for a long time.  The HD-800 may fall a step or two.  The HE 560's are that good.  In every possible way, these are the best I have ever heard, and I include speakers in that comment.  And dudes, and have heard some speakers, know what I'm saying?

The integration of serious bass, into the mids, and the extension of the treble are eerily like Magnepans with a perfectly integrated sub.  Unbelievable.

Call me shallow but I can't get over the styling of the 560. They look quite silly.

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #17,879 of 65,938
killer album !!

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #17,880 of 65,938

3. After becoming convinced I needed the RS-1s to replace my PS500s, I stumbled upon them in an audio store that was within walking distance of the hotel I stayed in 2,300 miles away from home, when I traveled to Silverdale, WA for the memorial service for my father's passing.

First of all, sorry about your loss.

I like the fact that this headphone purchase is and will be connected to your father, and makes them even more special/eerie.

Good luck and have fun reading this MASSIVE thread  ...oh BTW, there's the Rs1i Impressions thread when you're done with this one, and also a few other Grado related threads. The good news is they should be less than 5,000 posts each, so relatively chicken feed compared to this one!
wink_face.gif

BTW, you need more ears for all those headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back