Grado Fan Club!
Aug 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #17,836 of 65,724
Like I said, I blame it on the meds,

I rarely talk about my HP1000, simply because I know that some people view them as the Holy Grail of Grado headphones, and also because they're extremely rare, although a pair was just sold on flea Bay a few days ago, they sold for over $1500, and were in fair condition at best. The lettering was almost half gone, and they didn't have their original cable, wich in the collectors market is never a good thing, even if it's of good quality.

Anyway because of health issues, it had been a while since my HP1000 got some head time. and yesterday, as usual, about one hour befor I start listening, I fire up the amp, in this case, it was the HPA-2 amp with the PS-1 power supply, both of wich are even rarer than the matching headphones mine are the HP-2 version of the HP1000.

That's when it occured to me, I already considered myself a lucky person, partly because a few years ago, I almost died twice in eleven days in the hospital, and thanks to the medical staff at L'Hôpital Maisonneuve Rosemont de Montréal, who saved my life on both occasions, I'm still here, trying my best to make you guys and gals laugh with my silly posts.

I'm a also a car guy, I know, I'm switching the subject again, but this is not the meds speaking, trust me, I'm going somewhere with this. Now, to a car guy like me, the Barrett, Jackson collector cars auctions, represent pure automotive bliss. A while back Carrol Shelby (R.I.P), was there, selling is own AC Cobra Supersnake, the car sold for $5.200 000.

I started wondering what this would equate to in the headphones "world", And I think that Shelby selling his Cobra, equates to Joseph Grado Selling his own HP1000 and HPA-1 or 2, Wich means that the next best thing would be to own these wonderful and  VERY scarce products, eve though they did not belong to Joe himself. Well, I am that lucky person, and I try my best to never forget it. because to most Grado fan, I am one lucky S.O.B.

I still prefer my PS1000, but somehow is getting get smaller and smaller, I guess my tastes must be changing. But then chage is the spice of life. Well I got through my post without, "spacing out", I guess I have finally found the right dosage.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #17,837 of 65,724
these guys could flat out play !!

and the gs1000e serve these tunes well ! actually, more than just these ! lol

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #17,838 of 65,724
couldn't resist !

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #17,839 of 65,724
Thanks CanadianMaestro.

My tongue in cheak humour would've caught up with me eventually, I would have been burn before that if Focker, and Devourigone3 had been reading my posts, they know me pretty well, so they would have seen through me. I'm very big on respect, that's why I almost never visit the other brands threads not because I didn't want to, but because the minute they found out that I was a Grado fan, the tone changed, and sometimes the bitching started. And it's that lack of respect that prompted me to declare us Grado fans ''the dark side''.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #17,840 of 65,724
First post and a complete newbie so please bear with my stupid question. This thread seems a good place to get a Grado "problem" worked out.

My journey began a few months back when I stumbled on the iGrado. I needed something for bike riding and I wanted to try something different. They ended up being the best I had owned for fit and comfort and the sound was intriguing and something that really caught my attention.

I wanted to try a full size Grado and ended up getting the SR325e. I play music from my iMac into a Apogee Duet (I record as well) and plug into the headphone jack there. To be honest, the first few hours with the 325e were a little frightening. I'm not very good at describing audio sensations but the word "sharp" comes to mind. The high end was really in your face but the bass and mid were very well separated. After a few weeks I really started to enjoy them. It was fun rediscovering some of my music.

So, thinking "more is better", I ordered the RS1e. I received them three days ago and have spent at least 8 hours with them on my head. Immediately I noticed a mellowing of the high end. It was still there but just not as piercing. I liked that. My problem is that I feel the upper low and mids seem to bleed together and I'm not getting the separation I so enjoyed with the 325e. I guess you could say they sound a bit muddy to me. 

I'm looking to see if anyone else has had this experience. Do I need to burn them in more? Will they get "better"? Am I imagining things? Am I expecting too much?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #17,841 of 65,724
  Like I said, I blame it on the meds,

I rarely talk about my HP1000, simply because I know that some people view them as the Holy Grail of Grado headphones, and also because they're extremely rare, although a pair was just sold on flea Bay a few days ago, they sold for over $1500, and were in fair condition at best. The lettering was almost half gone, and they didn't have their original cable, wich in the collectors market is never a good thing, even if it's of good quality.

Anyway because of health issues, it had been a while since my HP1000 got some head time. and yesterday, as usual, about one hour befor I start listening, I fire up the amp, in this case, it was the HPA-2 amp with the PS-1 power supply, both of wich are even rarer than the matching headphones mine are the HP-2 version of the HP1000.

That's when it occured to me, I already considered myself a lucky person, partly because a few years ago, I almost died twice in eleven days in the hospital, and thanks to the medical staff at L'Hôpital Maisonneuve Rosemont de Montréal, who saved my life on both occasions, I'm still here, trying my best to make you guys and gals laugh with my silly posts.

I'm a also a car guy, I know, I'm switching the subject again, but this is not the meds speaking, trust me, I'm going somewhere with this. Now, to a car guy like me, the Barrett, Jackson collector cars auctions, represent pure automotive bliss. A while back Carrol Shelby (R.I.P), was there, selling is own AC Cobra Supersnake, the car sold for $5.200 000.

I started wondering what this would equate to in the headphones "world", And I think that Shelby selling his Cobra, equates to Joseph Grado Selling his own HP1000 and HPA-1 or 2, Wich means that the next best thing would be to own these wonderful and  VERY scarce products, eve though they did not belong to Joe himself. Well, I am that lucky person, and I try my best to never forget it. because to most Grado fan, I am one lucky S.O.B.

I still prefer my PS1000, but somehow is getting get smaller and smaller, I guess my tastes must be changing. But then chage is the spice of life. Well I got through my post without, "spacing out", I guess I have finally found the right dosage.

stacker....you do own the holy grail of all Grados....you are very lucky to have those HP1000.......enjoy them and enjoy your music.

couldn't resist !

Now, we are talkin!  
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #17,842 of 65,724
  First post and a complete newbie so please bear with my stupid question. This thread seems a good place to get a Grado "problem" worked out.

My journey began a few months back when I stumbled on the iGrado. I needed something for bike riding and I wanted to try something different. They ended up being the best I had owned for fit and comfort and the sound was intriguing and something that really caught my attention.

I wanted to try a full size Grado and ended up getting the SR325e. I play music from my iMac into a Apogee Duet (I record as well) and plug into the headphone jack there. To be honest, the first few hours with the 325e were a little frightening. I'm not very good at describing audio sensations but the word "sharp" comes to mind. The high end was really in your face but the bass and mid were very well separated. After a few weeks I really started to enjoy them. It was fun rediscovering some of my music.

So, thinking "more is better", I ordered the RS1e. I received them three days ago and have spent at least 8 hours with them on my head. Immediately I noticed a mellowing of the high end. It was still there but just not as piercing. I liked that. My problem is that I feel the upper low and mids seem to bleed together and I'm not getting the separation I so enjoyed with the 325e. I guess you could say they sound a bit muddy to me. 

I'm looking to see if anyone else has had this experience. Do I need to burn them in more? Will they get "better"? Am I imagining things? Am I expecting too much?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Hey Jim, welcome to the club!! And before somebody else beats me to it, the traditional greeting around here: "Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet." :wink:

I've never heard the e-series cans, nor any version of the 325, so this is based solely on reputation, but the 325 is known for having a particularly aggressive treble response. While the burn-in question is still debated pretty frequently, there seems to be a general consensus among Grado owners (not everyone, of course) that burn-in does, indeed, make a difference. I'm not sure if that will resolve the issues you're having with separation or not, but I would guess that it would at least help. 

Another thought might be to start eyeing the GS1000e, as it's gotten probably the most universally positive reviews of any of the e-series headphones thus far, and the original GS1000 was particularly impressive from a separation and imaging perspective to begin with :wink:

I'm sure someone with vastly more experience will chime in shortly, but hopefully this will help until then. Good luck, man!!

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #17,843 of 65,724
I have heard Dazed and Confused so many times by Led Zepplin and so many others but this cut is with no doubt the REAL THING just like judging Grados. One could nitpick over the inperfections or coloring you could find in this recording all day long and you would be right. But the bottom line is simple. It's just the BEST there ever was or ever will be of this song just like the Grado sound is to my ears! Fresh ground coffee and Grados in the morning. Brews and tunes in the afternoon. Thanks again Jay for the music. I've been busy moving to the lake the tunes help.

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #17,845 of 65,724
I have heard Dazed and Confused so many times by Led Zepplin and so many others but this cut is with no doubt the REAL THING just like judging Grados. One could nitpick over the inperfections or coloring you could find in this recording all day long and you would be right. But the bottom line is simple. It's just the BEST there ever was or ever will be of this song just like the Grado sound is to my ears! Fresh ground coffee and Grados in the morning. Brews and tunes in the afternoon. Thanks again Jay for the music. I've been busy moving to the lake the tunes help.

very nice, LZ does very well on Grados. RS1i especially. So, just a sneaky Q for you -- are the recent "remasters" of LZ's albums worth acquiring? I'm a skeptic with these -- especially after the Beatles remastering debacle.

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #17,846 of 65,724
Thanks for the intro Teogenes, now, jmulanne, as Teo said, I do have A LOT of experience with Grados, so much experience,  that I recently had to buy a bigger house because my experience didn't fit in my old house anymore. It does however have it's advantages, like newb sending me discretionary amounts of money (check your P.M.), simply because they feel that my advice was THAT good.

Seriously, I have had the opportunity to compare the RS1i with my first generation 2006 GS1000, OK!, this is a bit hard to explain, so bear with me here. With the RS1i, I noticed that there was a lack of ''air'' to the music, it was like there was a beam of light shining on every performers, the sound quality was very good, but it felt like the soundstage was clostrofobic, and when I switched to the GS1000 it was as if a flod light was switched on, and the music was ''breathing again''. I think that it's that lack of decay, that deprived the soundstage from the air that it needs to give us a idea of the size of the venue. In all honesty, the GS1000, especially the first gen GS1000 have what is arguably THE biggest soundstage of any Grados, so it didn't surprise me that the RS1 soundstage was considerably smaller.

The RS1 are probably THE most loved among Grado headphones, so don't be surprise if some people don't share our opinion. Before I join the ''Dark Side'' (Grado), I used to own Sennheiser HD600, and my first encounter with Grado was back in 2004, with the RS1, and the first thing that struck me, was the amount of détails that I was hearing, détails that my HD600 just glossed over. I'm telling you this because, past experiences dictate our expectations, and reactions to new headphones.   

I hope this cleared it up a bit for you.

Oh!, and don't forget to check your P.M.                                                                                  

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #17,847 of 65,724

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Welcome to Head-Fi
Congratulations on the RS1e's!
Don't draw any conclusions on them as of now…they need to bur-in/open up.
I never heard the RS1e, but I do own the RS1i, and burn-in definitely opens them up!!!
Just listen and enjoy them, and before you know it you will be amazed!!!

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #17,848 of 65,724
  Thanks CanadianMaestro.

My tongue in cheak humour would've caught up with me eventually, I would have been burn before that if Focker, and Devourigone3 had been reading my posts, they know me pretty well, so they would have seen through me. I'm very big on respect, that's why I almost never visit the other brands threads not because I didn't want to, but because the minute they found out that I was a Grado fan, the tone changed, and sometimes the bitching started. And it's that lack of respect that prompted me to declare us Grado fans ''the dark side''.

Cheers, Stacker. I love the Grado threads, because nobody takes themselves seriously here, and the MUSIC comes first, not arcane graphs and yapping about tiny anomalies on oscilloscope screens. And I aggree with you about some other threads of other brands. See my recent posts on the HE560 Impressions Thread and LOL. Those people need to get a life.

Anyways, I'm gettin' manic...great day shaping up here at work.

We are what we are because of what we listen to and what we remember.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #17,849 of 65,724
  Welcome to Head-Fi
Congratulations on the RS1e's!
Don't draw any conclusions on them as of now…they need to bur-in/open up.
I never heard the RS1e, but I do own the RS1i, and burn-in definitely opens them up!!!
Just listen and enjoy them, and before you know it you will be amazed!!!

Congrats on the RS1e. That's quite a jump up and tastefully done.
Agree with j'69er -- let them breath the intoxicating auras of Orpheus' instruments (aka pre-digital music) and they will only get much more refined.
enjoy, Jim.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #17,850 of 65,724
   very nice, LZ does very well on Grados. RS1i especially. So, just a sneaky Q for you -- are the recent "remasters" of LZ's albums worth acquiring? I'm a skeptic with these -- especially after the Beatles remastering debacle.

For my money the recent Beatles remasters are worth it as compared to the orginal CD masters sold in the U.S. I purchased The White Album, Sgt Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey Road. I was able to A to B with my old copies from the 80's. The difference to my ears is the most noticeable improvement of any remaster I've heard. So, w/ the Beatles I think it's legit. FWIW, I also recently purchased Wings Over America remaster and I think it sounds quite good.

Yes-there is a raging debate over Led Zeppelin. So many of us across generations has a strong emotional connection that this iconic band. To me a lover of heavy rock music, they are to me what the Beatles were to my parents. Probably the two most important rock bands for me....not saying in absolute terms.

That said, I have purchased the newly remastered Led Zep I. This is a CD purchse BTW. I know a lot of people thought Mothership was too "loud". That may be. But, the new remaster of Zep 1 A to B comparison with the Led Zeppelin Remaster series that was remastered in 1990 is an improvement to my subject A-B listening. To my ears-it was clearly improved. Now, there are those with original vinyl that will say older vinyl is the way to go. But, I don't have a vinyl set up.

Long story short-if you love LZ, I recommend the new LZ 1. I'm sure others may disagree. And, again this is relative to the 9o's remaster series which is probably the version most of the public own....that's an assumption on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back