Grado Fan Club!
Jul 20, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #17,086 of 65,681
Have you checked out HD-Tracks?

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #17,088 of 65,681
Does anyone know the complete difference between the 'i' and the 'e' series? does one particularly sound better than the other?

I compared only 225i and e, and 80i and e. The four main differences between the 225 models mentioned in the review held for the 80 models, but to a lesser degree.

Besides that, I concluded that 80e isn't the same bargain that 80i was, because 80e + L-cushions is about 70% as good as 225e and 80i + L-cushions is about 90% as good as 225i. So if you prefer the e series' sound, 225e is certainly worth the extra $100.

I'd really like to hear from others . . .

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys!

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #17,089 of 65,681
First time poster here, but couldn't hold back after finding so few reviews for the PS500e. Put simply, these are the first headphones that remind me of what it's like to be with musicians, watching a performance, absorbed in the fullness of it all. I auditioned (well, ordered and then returned) the RS1e, RS2e, and PS225e, the AKG Q701, and K545 before landing on these.

In some ways I was glad there weren't many reviews on these in particular as it forced me to trust my own gut. Here's a simple breakdown of how I landed with the PS500e:

1) RS2e: Really enjoyed these, especially for classic rock and well produced jazz, but wasn't so kind to lackluster tracks and was missing a natural bass feel that I especially love for classical and jazz (trying picking up timpani on them - you'll have a hard time). Wanted to like these more bc of better price point.

2) PS225e: I was hoping that for 200 dollars less I would be satisfied. I probably went the wrong direction. For my musical tastes these were great phones but after hearing the RS2 I knew there was better territory and for me, it was worth it. (I wouldn't have said the same thing 4 years ago).

3) RS1e: Oddly, these were essentially the same price as the PS500e (without tax - I live in NY) and so I was really curious how the top of the Reference line compared against the "little sibling" of the professional line. In the end, I couldn't get past the comfort issues. Even after a few adjustments, I just liked the ps500e better for my tastes. I compared with Trane, Aretha, Supremes, a variety of chamber and small orchestra works, as well as a host of classic rock and folk rock.

In the end, I've been swooned over by the 500e. The folks at Grado said it was a "improvement" over the HF2. While I'm sure this is technically true I can't say it's a $200 improvement for some pretty similar form and tech. If I had the HF2 I probably wouldn't be posting this, but alas....

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #17,090 of 65,681
  Hmmm!, funny because I don't even remember going to the post office, but then, I have been known to forget things, damn painkillers!

I think those pain killers have made you funnier! 
normal_smile .gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #17,091 of 65,681
I compared only 225i and e, and 80i and e. The four main differences between the 225 models mentioned in the review held for the 80 models, but to a lesser degree.

Besides that, I concluded that 80e isn't the same bargain that 80i was, because 80e + L-cushions is about 70% as good as 225e and 80i + L-cushions is about 90% as good as 225i. So if you prefer the e series' sound, 225e is certainly worth the extra $100.

I'd really like to hear from others . . .

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys!

I read your review. Very informative and helpful. I mainly asked because I plan on buying some new phones that would sound good with metal and rock, and the grado's have TONS of hype for that, so whichever is better is what I plan on going for, and the 225i's sound like they'd be better in this case. And being I live in the middle of nowhere in the south, i can't really get my hands on any of them to try or listen to any good quality headphones for the matter (other than beats or mainstream brands if you'd consider that good quality) so if I buy anything I have to order them and I'm going out on a leap of faith that they'll sound as good as I'm speculating. I Also was wondering how the g cush pads would make things sound.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #17,092 of 65,681
I read your review. Very informative and helpful. I mainly asked because I plan on buying some new phones that would sound good with metal and rock, and the grado's have TONS of hype for that, so whichever is better is what I plan on going for, and the 225i's sound like they'd be better in this case.

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it.

For metal and rock, I think it's a toss up judged on merit because of the trade offs. I myself prefer 225i for that, but preferences will vary.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #17,093 of 65,681
  First time poster here, but couldn't hold back after finding so few reviews for the PS500e. Put simply, these are the first headphones that remind me of what it's like to be with musicians, watching a performance, absorbed in the fullness of it all. I auditioned (well, ordered and then returned) the RS1e, RS2e, and PS225e, the AKG Q701, and K545 before landing on these.

In some ways I was glad there weren't many reviews on these in particular as it forced me to trust my own gut. Here's a simple breakdown of how I landed with the PS500e:

1) RS2e: Really enjoyed these, especially for classic rock and well produced jazz, but wasn't so kind to lackluster tracks and was missing a natural bass feel that I especially love for classical and jazz (trying picking up timpani on them - you'll have a hard time). Wanted to like these more bc of better price point.

2) PS225e: I was hoping that for 200 dollars less I would be satisfied. I probably went the wrong direction. For my musical tastes these were great phones but after hearing the RS2 I knew there was better territory and for me, it was worth it. (I wouldn't have said the same thing 4 years ago).

3) RS1e: Oddly, these were essentially the same price as the PS500e (without tax - I live in NY) and so I was really curious how the top of the Reference line compared against the "little sibling" of the professional line. In the end, I couldn't get past the comfort issues. Even after a few adjustments, I just liked the ps500e better for my tastes. I compared with Trane, Aretha, Supremes, a variety of chamber and small orchestra works, as well as a host of classic rock and folk rock.

In the end, I've been swooned over by the 500e. The folks at Grado said it was a "improvement" over the HF2. While I'm sure this is technically true I can't say it's a $200 improvement for some pretty similar form and tech. If I had the HF2 I probably wouldn't be posting this, but alas....

Thanks for posting, man! Great first post :wink:

I've never heard the PS500 (e or not), but I can tell you that the HF2 is, in my opinion,  one of the weirdest sounding headphones I've ever heard.  Something about it just struck me as being totally wrong. So I guess I'm saying you don't need to worry about any sense of "what might've been" -- it sounds like you did great!!

Oh, and of course: Welcome to Head-Fi!! Sorry about your wallet :wink:

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #17,094 of 65,681

Yea, great first post.

Looks like you did some good homework....congrats, enjoy your music and welcome!

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #17,095 of 65,681

I've LOVED the PS500s (pre-e version).  They were the most transparent, "you are there" headphones in a comparison I did against several others.  However, they indeed are a rare beast here... of 2,000 headphones compared in the last year of the "Rank The Headphones That You Own,"  only 4 were the Gradp PS500.  Even fewer, two, were the Grado PS1000!

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #17,096 of 65,681
Woo-hoo!

After 2 months of background checks, security checks, physicals, and more background checks, I begin my new job on 7/30!

I might celebrate with some new gear...

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #17,098 of 65,681
  Congratulations on your new job…and if I were you, I would celebrate with some new gear!!! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Actually, I might celebrate by selling some gear.  My recent experience with the GS1000e is making me think I don't really need my Schiit Bifrost Uber...

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #17,099 of 65,681

Actually, I might celebrate by selling some gear.  My recent experience with the GS1000e is making me think I don't really need my Schiit Bifrost Uber...

Congratulations, man!

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #17,100 of 65,681
  Woo-hoo!

After 2 months of background checks, security checks, physicals, and more background checks, I begin my new job on 7/30!

I might celebrate with some new gear...

Congrats, Scott.

Yep, new gear is a great way to celebrate a new job......I sort of did that myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back