Grado Fan Club!
May 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #14,986 of 66,261

i too, silent when its supposed to be, no clipping, distortion , and the highest i've gone with volume is 12:00, no strain at all

Yep, I can't imagine the amp clipping at anywhere near the 12 o'clock position unless the issue is source-side. Clipping occurs when the signal hits the voltage rails and can't go any higher. I don't know what the output voltage rails are of the amp(s) in question.

And if it really is distorting at that volume position, I'd again question the source or something else upstream.

Unless you have something funny going on upstream, your amp should not distort or clip unless the volume pot is all the way up... now, if you are just nervous about it clipping/distorting, that's an issue between your ears 
tongue.gif

Nooooooo!!!!!!

It depends entirely on the topology and the gain structure of the amp.  Just like you, a MAJORITY of the amps I've used, generally class AB with op amps (solid state) tend to act this way.  Class A, certainly not, and class D varies depending on gain and output stage.

If there is no noise or other bad sounds, and you need to crank to 3 or 4:00, there is no problem.  It's just weird...

No, I've never had ant issues with the amp clipping/distorting in any way at all.
All I'm saying is that between 1-2 o'clock the PS's start too really shine for me. I'm just worried I'm pushing the amp a bit too much at 1-2 o'clock point, but never had any issues. When I come from 1-2 o'clock back down too 12 0'clock the volume difference is much, much lower, thats all…this is why I felt the amp was peaking at this point, and wouldn't push it any further nor did I have too…but no clipping/distortion at all. Also depends on the Cd also, so I was just looking for a little more increase in volume before 1-2 o'clock because I was under the impression that ANY amp at this volume position (1-2 o'clock) is at its maximum, but bbopcans lead me too a sight which explains volume position, and how it is irrelevant to the output of the amp, because all amps are different, and it runs way deeper than just the volume position, so I was incorrect.
beerchug.gif

May 22, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #14,988 of 66,261
  Nooooooo!!!!!!

It depends entirely on the topology and the gain structure of the amp.  Just like you, a MAJORITY of the amps I've used, generally class AB with op amps (solid state) tend to act this way.  Class A, certainly not, and class D varies depending on gain and output stage.

If there is no noise or other bad sounds, and you need to crank to 3 or 4:00, there is no problem.  It's just weird....

Right....with my grados my volume on my mad ear can be only about 9 oclock....but with my hd650 it is about 2 oclock.....sounds damn fine....no problem.

May 22, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #14,992 of 66,261

No, I've never had ant issues with the amp clipping/distorting in any way at all.
All I'm saying is that between 1-2 o'clock the PS's start too really shine for me. I'm just worried I'm pushing the amp a bit too much at 1-2 o'clock point, but never had any issues. When I come from 1-2 o'clock back down too 12 0'clock the volume difference is much, much lower, thats all…this is why I felt the amp was peaking at this point, and wouldn't push it any further nor did I have too…but no clipping/distortion at all. Also depends on the Cd also, so I was just looking for a little more increase in volume before 1-2 o'clock because I was under the impression that ANY amp at this volume position (1-2 o'clock) is at its maximum, but bbopcans lead me too a sight which explains volume position, and how it is irrelevant to the output of the amp, because all amps are different, and it runs way deeper than just the volume position, so I was incorrect.
beerchug.gif

Dude, this is why I like you so much, and the Grado thread in general.  Most other forums on this site, and we explode in a vicious argument.  This thread is like, "Oh yeah.  Okay, I'll try that."

I have over 40 years of experience with some rather high powered bass gear- up to 2500 watts into a cabinet with 2 15" drivers, and I still get hung up on volume position.  With my Burston, I found that I had to go to about 3:00 to get about 90 dB.  That's pretty high, and it freaked me out.   I just had to increase the output from my Oppo BDP-103, as I had it attenuated with variable output. 

It's always something....

May 22, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #14,993 of 66,261

Dude, this is why I like you so much, and the Grado thread in general.  Most other forums on this site, and we explode in a vicious argument.  This thread is like, "Oh yeah.  Okay, I'll try that."

I have over 40 years of experience with some rather high powered bass gear- up to 2500 watts into a cabinet with 2 15" drivers, and I still get hung up on volume position.  With my Burston, I found that I had to go to about 3:00 to get about 90 dB.  That's pretty high, and it freaked me out.   I just had to increase the output from my Oppo BDP-103, as I had it attenuated with variable output. 

OK, very cool, you understand why I was concerned about this, and didn't want to run into any issues. And now I know its not just me lol! Thank you very much, and also everyone else who helped me understand this.
beerchug.gif

May 22, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #14,994 of 66,261

I'm pretty new to this thread and the Grado family in general, but I echo this sentiment wholeheartedly based on the limited experience I have had. Don't know why, but you Grado guys just seem to be a friendly folk than most around here, and even than many threads I still love and check daily.

Anyway, idle observation and agreement with the above poster.

May 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #14,995 of 66,261
May 22, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #14,997 of 66,261
I'm listening to some "Fourplay" with the 6-S/E with the stock tubes and PS1K's tonight. And as expected it sound really nice right out of the box…and I have the volume position just past 9 o'clock. With the WA6, I would have been between 11-12 o'clock to achieve the same volume.

May 22, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #14,998 of 66,261
I converted 3 Beats fans into Grado fans this week. Gave one of them my SR80's. Another tried my SR80's before I gave them to my friend. He wen't out and bought a pair of SR125i's. The other tried my SR225i's and he went out to buy a pair and ended up with a pair of RS2i's instead! Man is he gonna be pissed when I put together my SennGrados :)

PS: Forgot to add that all three have sold or are selling their Beats.

May 23, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #14,999 of 66,261
  I converted 3 Beats fans into Grado fans this week. Gave one of them my SR80's. Another tried my SR80's before I gave them to my friend. He wen't out and bought a pair of SR125i's. The other tried my SR225i's and he went out to buy a pair and ended up with a pair of RS2i's instead! Man is he gonna be pissed when I put together my SennGrados :)

PS: Forgot to add that all three have sold or are selling their Beats.

Dayum bro, you got them mad convertin' skills.

May 23, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #15,000 of 66,261

my theory for as to why this thread, and grado folks in general, its more about the MUSIC,and the enjoyment , fun we have, we don't care a whole lot about numbers, graphs, what "should be" good
if "its" good enough to get heads a bopping, toes a tapping, then its good !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back