Grado Fan Club!
May 23, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #15,001 of 66,261
Speaking of heads bopping and toes a tapping I still can't get the url's over to this site from my tablet. But the american idol winner last night Caleb Johnson had me rocking as I revisited how he got there check out his playing in a traveling band by ccr and try not bopping and tapping. Or for that matter his dazed and confused getting the Led out or Paul's baby I'm amazed! But of course with fresh ground coffee and Grados in the morning.

May 23, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #15,002 of 66,261
This is such a fun, but confusing hobby. Not having anything better to do tonight I was comparing my (Now burned-in) RS2i's and my HD650. I had pretty much concluded that the HD650 were considerably better. A bit later I was listening to my HD650 on my big system (Bifrost/Lyr) and thought, I wonder if the system would make a difference, so I did the test again. This is the funny part, the higher end system helped the Grado's a lot more than it did the 650's. The easier to drive phones improved more than the (supposedly) harder to drive phones. 650's still have better bass but other than that I prefer the Grado's...on this system... and I am leaving them over here. where they obviously belong. I still don't understand it but I am not going to obsess about it. The RS2i have found a new home, that's all. It is all that synergy thing I guess.
   You guys should pick up the new Sarah McLachlan album she just released (Shine On), just fabulous songs and singing, I can't stop listening, I think I have heard it at least 8 times tonight.

May 23, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #15,003 of 66,261
  This is such a fun, but confusing hobby. Not having anything better to do tonight I was comparing my (Now burned-in) RS2i's and my HD650. I had pretty much concluded that the HD650 were considerably better. A bit later I was listening to my HD650 on my big system (Bifrost/Lyr) and thought, I wonder if the system would make a difference, so I did the test again. This is the funny part, the higher end system helped the Grado's a lot more than it did the 650's. The easier to drive phones improved more than the (supposedly) harder to drive phones. 650's still have better bass but other than that I prefer the Grado's...on this system... and I am leaving them over here. where they obviously belong. I still don't understand it but I am not going to obsess about it. The RS2i have found a new home, that's all. It is all that synergy thing I guess.
   You guys should pick up the new Sarah McLachlan album she just released (Shine On), just fabulous songs and singing, I can't stop listening, I think I have heard it at least 8 times tonight.

I told you it wouldn't be long before you put the Grado back on your head.

May 23, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #15,004 of 66,261
Yeah, this hobby is more about magic than it is science ... Voodoo Magic!!
gs1000.gif

May 23, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #15,005 of 66,261
Well, the way I see it this hobby is pretty much about science. Don't get me wrong, I'm a musician and music lover first and foremost, and at the end of the day if it sounds good I am satisfied, but I have an inquiring mind and I don't like to waste money on superfluous things, so the combination of curiosity + savings, if anything, greatly helped my interest in this hobby.

You'd be surprised how much easier it is to match gear together when you know something about the science behind them. Of course if you've got plenty of money to burn, it's always fun to just try out a little of everything and hopefully find something synergistic in the lot, but after having done this for a few years, I'm now at the point where I'd rather save money :wink:

May 23, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #15,006 of 66,261
HPiper if you think the rs2i's kicked in with a good amp, you should hear what a McIntosh tube amp does for the PS1000. OMG the potential that is in those cans beats anything I have heard not that it doesn't make it any less fun to play tweek with other set ups.

May 23, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #15,007 of 66,261
  Well, the way I see it this hobby is pretty much about science. Don't get me wrong, I'm a musician and music lover first and foremost, and at the end of the day if it sounds good I am satisfied, but I have an inquiring mind and I don't like to waste money on superfluous things, so the combination of curiosity + savings, if anything, greatly helped my interest in this hobby.

You'd be surprised how much easier it is to match gear together when you know something about the science behind them. Of course if you've got plenty of money to burn, it's always fun to just try out a little of everything and hopefully find something synergistic in the lot, but after having done this for a few years, I'm now at the point where I'd rather save money :wink:

Science has simply saved me thousands of dollars over the past few years.  It protects me from rabbit holes, and $1K upgrades that give minimal, if any, improvement.  

May 23, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #15,008 of 66,261
  Science has simply saved me thousands of dollars over the past few years.  It protects me from rabbit holes, and $1K upgrades that give minimal, if any, improvement.  

Yep. I still see people spending thousands on cables when they could be spending that on a new pair of headphones instead. Go figure.

May 23, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #15,009 of 66,261
swspiers I don't disagree at all the PS 1000 don't improve a thing but they sure let you appreciate the virtues of high end gear. And since I can't afford an 80.000$ sound system or cannot even begin to try and comprehend the SCIENCE that the engineers used to create the MAGIC they put in the sound systems they built for bands like the Grateful Dead I will just have FAITH that they put as much SOUL as they do SCIENCE and lean non scientifically toward the more affordable ps500's. Don't get me wrong your approach is a very good one for matching equipment and I can see how it would save a lot of costly mistakes. Unfortunately for me I am more on the artistic side an less on the technical. Never less my senses for soul have developed to a level that serves me well. In turn my senses have helped me discover things that don't make any sense at all.

May 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #15,010 of 66,261
swspiers, I agree with you about science being a money saver. Though if you see a rabbit with a waistcoat on running thru your backyard, and he's checking his pocket watch while exclaiming "I'm late, I'm late", you'd better check it out.

May 23, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #15,011 of 66,261
swspiers, I agree with you about science being a money saver. Though if you see a rabbit with a waistcoat on running thru your backyard, and he's checking his pocket watch while exclaiming "I'm late, I'm late", you'd better check it out.

Definitely
However, I have never heard a graph.  Not once.  Blindly following measurements is NOT scientific: it is a faith-based method in which one relies on someone else's work...

May 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #15,012 of 66,261
Definitely
However, I have never heard a graph.  Not once.  Blindly following measurements is NOT scientific: it is a faith-based method in which one relies on someone else's work...
So true sir.

May 23, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #15,013 of 66,261
enough of this science, graph ,  talk

May 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #15,014 of 66,261

Yep. I still see people spending thousands on cables when they could be spending that on a new pair of headphones instead. Go figure.

In your profile, you show some after market cables.  How did you choose them, listening, science, or both?

May 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #15,015 of 66,261
  In your profile, you show some after market cables.  How did you choose them, listening, science, or both?

Neither. I bought them close to 10 years ago, before I did my homework and figured out cables don't change anything. I actually sold alot more than the ones listed, the ones I have left just wouldn't be worth much if I sold them so I hung onto them. Luckily I was able to resell most of the expensive ones I used to have, but I still wasted quite a lot of money throughout the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back