Grado Fan Club!
May 22, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #14,956 of 66,259
Joseph, thanks for taking the time to jot a few thoughts down about the Fosgate. Your the Marine recon soldier of audio equipment my friend.

May 22, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #14,957 of 66,259
thanks for the update on the fosgate

May 22, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #14,958 of 66,259
Thanks for the Fosgate review!

Still laughing at them sending out a pair of white gloves with the amp 
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #14,959 of 66,259
  OK, I've been listening to the Fosgate for about 41/2hrs now, prior to letting it burn-in 3hrs when I received it, plus it was used for 1 month, so I would think its got some hours on it. My initial impression so far  are...I don't think I'm going to go much further!  It has decent bass (without) the bass boost, I'll get to that later... the sound-stage is decent but doesn't have much depth or height, and sounds a bit congested/veiled with not much instrument separation for the most part. The mid-range is a bit too mellow/boring for me (I almost fell asleep a few times, and I'm not tired), but female vocals did sound nice and natural. As far as the high frequencies, I really don't hear much detail/clarity. Everything sounds a bit distant with not much liveliness/excitement…at all! [size=x-small]As far as the bass boost settings are go..., OFF is the best setting for this feature, otherwise too me LOW/HIGH just shift s the entire music, making it sound out of phase. The surround feature is best in the OFF position also, otherwise LOW/HIGH just sucks the music out from whatever mid-range there might be to begin with. When I listen to music, what I put in is what I want too hear coming out, this is in no way the case with these features. This is a very, very laid back almost lifeless sounding amp too me. I'm listening to Fourplays Cd's, which are very well recorded and I'm very, very familiar with and the PS1K's, so I'm listening too a $3195.00 (retail) headphone/amp system and would never in my wildest dreams believe it!!! This amp did absolutely nothing for the PS1K's in any way but make them sound dead/lifeless/boring. I'm sorry to say, but maybe I'm just spoiled from the WA6[/size]…[size=x-small]but I really don' think so, I know what I'm hearing. Its really amazing how you CAN'T read/listen to anything about audio, and this is an excellent example of why. The WA6 blew this away out of the box! I won't even mention rolling the tubes and 6 months later! Before while I was burning-in the S/E with my 325is's, I picked them up and put them on my head a few times, and the first thing I said too myself was WOW!!!, and immediately took off the 325's, because I specifically wanted to hear the Fosgate first. I do not mean to insult anyone in any way at all…this is just my own impressions/opinions. Lesson learned, but now I know for myself! Can't wait too here the S/E and any Grado too hear that beautiful sound! Oh, [/size]there is one thing I did like about the Fosgate, it did put out a nice amount of volume at about 11:00 o'clock, which is the only thing it did good as far as I'm concerned...and I'm SURE the S/E will do the same, but only sound a million time better, as my WA6 already does.

looking to hear what you have to say about the wa6se

May 22, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #14,961 of 66,259
Joseph, thanks for taking the time to jot a few thoughts down about the Fosgate. Your the Marine recon soldier of audio equipment my friend.

No problem, this was just my thoughts about the amp though, and don't forget I'm coming from the WA6 as a comparison. The Fosgate was supposed to go up against the S/E (price wise).
It couldn't compete with the 6…at all!
  thanks for the update on the fosgate

I know you liked the looks of the Fosgate…bot thats all it may have, sorry.
Very disappointing amp. Maybe if you told me it was a $250.00 amp, I would understand, but still wouldn't buy it.

Thanks for the Fosgate review!

Still laughing at them sending out a pair of white gloves with the amp 
biggrin.gif

The bass/surround switches turned me off from the beginning…then the white gloves!!!
BTW, you once commented "if I could have one Grado, it would be the PS1K's" or something close to that…I'm realizing why.

looking to hear what you have to say about the wa6se

Can't wait too hear it tonight!
Like I said I put the 325's on my head with the S/E and just was WOWED by the height/width of the sound right out of the box. I'm sure the S/E is a keeper.

I guess now we know why you don't see a lot of people bragging about owning a Fosgate Amp, makes me wonder how much they paid that guy at Grado to say what he did.

This is what I was thinking to myself last night while listening.
Theres a price on almost anything, in this case its a shame. You really have too listen to something for yourself in most cases.

May 22, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #14,962 of 66,259
  I don't know why the font size changes like that when I post sometimes, sorry!

Thanks for the mini-review.  I hadn't heard much good about the Fosgate anyway.

BTW, I'm not sure why you seem to be so concerned about where the volume control lies when listening.  Lots of volume controls are designed differently.  It has little to do with power.  In fact, the more rotation of the VC I have, the better I like it.  It gives me a wider range of settings rather than just 6 o'clock to 10 o'clock.  
smile.gif

May 22, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #14,963 of 66,259
  No problem, this was just my thoughts about the amp though, and don't forget I'm coming from the WA6 as a comparison. The Fosgate was supposed to go up against the S/E (price wise).
It couldn't compete with the 6…at all!
I know you liked the looks of the Fosgate…bot thats all it may have, sorry.
Very disappointing amp. Maybe if you told me it was a $250.00 amp, I would understand, but still wouldn't buy it.

The bass/surround switches turned me off from the beginning…then the white gloves!!!
BTW, you once commented "if I could have one Grado, it would be the PS1K's" or something close to that…I'm realizing why.

Can't wait too hear it tonight!
Like I said I put the 325's on my head with the S/E and just was WOWED by the height/width of the sound right out of the box. I'm sure the S/E is a keeper.

This is what I was thinking to myself last night while listening.
Theres a price on almost anything, in this case its a shame. You really have too listen to something for yourself in most cases.

the wa6se might be the one that i'd ever consider getting rid of the mad ear+ for

May 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #14,965 of 66,259

Yep, I've only had the chance to demo them for a few hours but they're at the top of my list of headphones to buy once I have the funds available and am done putting money into upgrading my MPX3/DAC1.

May 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #14,966 of 66,259
  Thanks for the mini-review.  I hadn't heard much good about the Fosgate anyway.

BTW, I'm not sure why you seem to be so concerned about where the volume control lies when listening.  Lots of volume controls are designed differently.  It has little to do with power.  In fact, the more rotation of the VC I have, the better I like it.  It gives me a wider range of settings rather than just 6 o'clock to 10 o'clock.  
smile.gif

Your welcome for my thought on the Fosgate.
The reason I say this about the volume output is because from about 11:00-1:00 o'clock, there is not much increase in volume at all…but beyond 1:00-2 o'clock it increases again, but at this point I'm feeling I'm pushing the amp too much to get a sufficient listening level from the PS1K's for them too really shine, (every Grado has a sweet spot volume wise IMO/IME). From what I've understood ANY amplifiers output pretty much peaks at about 12-1:00…and then starts too degrade/distort/clip, beyond 1-2 o'clock, and I don't want too be so close to doing this, I would like to achieve a nice listening level at about 11:00 o'clock with plenty more volume output control too spare. Please, correct me if I'm wrong about this…but this is what I was told about amps my whole life in reference to the position of the volume control, and have also experienced this for myself on my stereo systems in the past. So I just want that little bit more output control with the volume. The Fosgate had sufficient output volume at 11:00 o'clock which continued to climb as I increased it, way before 1:00 o'clock. 

May 22, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #14,967 of 66,259
  Is the Wa6SE supposed to actually sound that much different from the regular Wa6, I thought it was just a more powerful version of the same amp.

i've heard that, but i'd think having more power could effect the dynamics, the prat

May 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #14,969 of 66,259
  Yes, like Jay said, it s supposed to effect the dynamics/sound-stage/height/faster/tighter/cleaner sounding.

All that from more power, I am impressed!
By the Way, I am looking for some GS1000i used at a good price. If anybody sees any could you PM me so I can check it out. I check Ebay a lot but I know there are other audio auction places around that I don't check.

May 22, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #14,970 of 66,259

All that from more power, I am impressed!
By the Way, I am looking for some GS1000i used at a good price. If anybody sees any could you PM me so I can check it out. I check Ebay a lot but I know there are other audio auction places around that I don't check.

mine aren't (i)s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back