Grado Fan Club!
May 21, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #14,942 of 66,261
Just a quick shot of the WA6-S/E's temporary home while burning-in.
[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]
Are you super happy that you upgraded your power curve for the WA6SE? It looks fantastic. Of course you'll need a whole new listening station.

May 21, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #14,943 of 66,261
   Here are a few shots of the Fosgate Signature Amp that just arrived, which I was very curious to hear being it is a hybrid amp, I was tipped off about a Grado rep stating it was spectacular with Grados by a fellow Head-Fier who is trying to say goodbye, but he shouldn't!!! It is a 30-day return, so it does have some burn-in time on it, but I'm going to run it for a few hours anyway. The shoot out is between the WA6-S/E and the Fosgate. When all is said and done, they retail for almost the same price, the Fosgate is a couple of hundred more. 

May 21, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #14,944 of 66,261

Here are a few shots of the Fosgate Signature Amp that just arrived, which I was very curious to hear being it is a hybrid amp, I was tipped off about a Grado rep stating it was spectacular with Grados by a fellow Head-Fier who is trying to say goodbye, but he shouldn't!!! It is a 30-day return, so it does have some burn-in time on it, but I'm going to run it for a few hours anyway. The shoot out is between the WA6-S/E. When all is said and done, they retail for almost the same price, the Fosgate is a couple of hundred more. 

i know you like that wood paneling. Decisions, decisions. What you gonna do?

May 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #14,945 of 66,261
Really digging the Fosgate. Joseph.

Can't wait to hear your impressions on both of those amps 

popcorn.gif

May 21, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #14,946 of 66,261
i know you like that wood paneling. Decisions, decisions. What you gonna do?

The wood panels on the Fosgate are nice, but I do like the panels on my WA6 much more, probably more so because of the aluminum and the "Barn Red" and because my father and I did it.
And of course if the S/E wins I'm going to transfer the panels from the 6 onto the PSU, and make new ones for the amp, and also new tube bases. But it really comes down too which amp I prefer in sound. 

Really digging the Fosgate. Joseph.

Can't wait to hear your impressions on both of those amps 

popcorn.gif

Thanks! Tonight I'm going to listen to the Fosgate, being I basically know what the S/E is going to sound like.

May 21, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #14,947 of 66,261
That's some serious audio eye candy.

popcorn.gif

May 21, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #14,950 of 66,261
  BTW, the Fosgate actually came with a pair of white gloves.

to keep all those nasty fingerprints and oil from getting on the tubes

May 21, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #14,951 of 66,261
  BTW, the Fosgate actually came with a pair of white gloves.

That is beyond awesome... and there isn't even any Piano Black finish on that amp 
rolleyes.gif

May 21, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #14,953 of 66,261
  Jay, I didn't even think about that, mostly because when I saw them I was just dumbfounded and put them too the side, because I already (always) was wearing vinyl gloves to handle the tubes.

yeah, i remembered that from having tube amps in the past, in my speaker system, a few companies did include white gloves for that reason

May 22, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #14,954 of 66,261
OK, I've been listening to the Fosgate for about 41/2hrs now, prior to letting it burn-in 3hrs when I received it, plus it was used for 1 month, so I would think its got some hours on it. My initial impression so far  are...I don't think I'm going to go much further!  It has decent bass (without) the bass boost, I'll get to that later... the sound-stage is decent but doesn't have much depth or height, and sounds a bit congested/veiled with not much instrument separation for the most part. The mid-range is a bit too mellow/boring for me (I almost fell asleep a few times, and I'm not tired), but female vocals did sound nice and natural. As far as the high frequencies, I really don't hear much detail/clarity. Everything sounds a bit distant with not much liveliness/excitement…at all! [size=x-small]As far as the bass boost settings are go..., OFF is the best setting for this feature, otherwise too me LOW/HIGH just shift s the entire music, making it sound out of phase. The surround feature is best in the OFF position also, otherwise LOW/HIGH just sucks the music out from whatever mid-range there might be to begin with. When I listen to music, what I put in is what I want too hear coming out, this is in no way the case with these features. This is a very, very laid back almost lifeless sounding amp too me. I'm listening to Fourplays Cd's, which are very well recorded and I'm very, very familiar with and the PS1K's, so I'm listening too a $3195.00 (retail) headphone/amp system and would never in my wildest dreams believe it!!! This amp did absolutely nothing for the PS1K's in any way but make them sound dead/lifeless/boring. I'm sorry to say, but maybe I'm just spoiled from the WA6[/size]…[size=x-small]but I really don' think so, I know what I'm hearing. Its really amazing how you CAN'T read/listen to anything about audio, and this is an excellent example of why. The WA6 blew this away out of the box! I won't even mention rolling the tubes and 6 months later! Before while I was burning-in the S/E with my 325is's, I picked them up and put them on my head a few times, and the first thing I said too myself was WOW!!!, and immediately took off the 325's, because I specifically wanted to hear the Fosgate first. I do not mean to insult anyone in any way at all…this is just my own impressions/opinions. Lesson learned, but now I know for myself! Can't wait too here the S/E and any Grado too hear that beautiful sound! Oh, [/size]there is one thing I did like about the Fosgate, it did put out a nice amount of volume at about 11:00 o'clock, which is the only thing it did good as far as I'm concerned...and I'm SURE the S/E will do the same, but only sound a million time better, as my WA6 already does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back