Good Cans <=$80
Jul 7, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #46 of 122
Quote:
Out of curiosity, where do you rate the infamous Portapros in comparison to the KSC75s?
Also, if I were to spend $50 on headphones (like the HD228), I'd rather get something a bit higher quality, like the Koss DJ Pro100s, or the Samson SR850s/Superlux 668B (I'm pretty sure the latter two are the same thing?), which is still a possibility, but not sure if that's the route I want to take.

I personally don't rate the HD228 very high.  Very muddy from the demos I have heard.

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #47 of 122
The KSC75 and the PortaPros have good quality drivers, and the housing, while plastic, is not terrible. The KSC75 cable might leave something to be desired though, I give you that. But so far no issues.

Like I said, their sound quality is way above their weight class. They might not be the prettiest of headphones. The HD238 are definitively prettier, but they don't sound as good (my opinion) as the Koss and cost more. It depends on your priorities. I can understand you holding back. The Koss do look cheap, but believe me, they don't sound cheap ( <- understatement.)

The PortaPros and the KSC75 are not the same. Both use 40mm drivers, but the KSC75 have partial titanium coating. I haven't heard the PortaPros, but they are regarded a little less bright and a bit more extended, but sound signature is close (much closer than the HD202 and HD228).

To be honest, I would still pick the KSC75 over the PortaPros for portability reasons (though the PortaPros are also portable relative to other cans.)

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #48 of 122
The KSC75 and the PortaPros have good quality drivers, and the housing, while plastic, is not terrible. The KSC75 cable might leave something to be desired though, I give you that. But so far no issues.

Like I said, their sound quality is way above their weight class. They might not be the prettiest of headphones. The HD238 are definitively prettier, but they don't sound as good (my opinion) as the Koss and cost more. It depends on your priorities. I can understand you holding back. The Koss do look cheap, but believe me, they don't sound cheap ( <- understatement.)

The PortaPros and the KSC75 are not the same. Both use 40mm drivers, but the KSC75 have partial titanium coating. I haven't heard the PortaPros, but they are regarded a little less bright and a bit more extended, but sound signature is close (much closer than the HD202 and HD228).

To be honest, I would still pick the KSC75 over the PortaPros for portability reasons (though the PortaPros are also portable relative to other cans.)

Interesting that the KSC75s get the nod over the Portapros. Out of curiosity, if portability was no longer a factor, how would the Superlux HD 681s fit into this? They can also be found under $40 on Amazon. I'm just curious about all my options.

Also, do the KSC75s really last? I've read a few reports of them breaking, and I can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind looking at them.

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #49 of 122
Unfortunately I haven't heard the HD 681s... but the word is that they are a bit bass lacking and fairly bright (my DT990 hit the road due to their bright presentation... and the Superlux don't seem much better in that department)

As far as the KSC75 vs PortaPros, I just think the KSC75 is a much better value (probably the best there is in terms of sound quality vs price ratio.) PortaPros look good though if you want to ditch the clip for the band... You can probably buy a band that will fit the KSC75 here though: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-015. I'm fine just they way they are though.

As far as durability, they do seem fragile. They probably won't survive me stepping on them, playing gaucho bolas, or using the cable to dry clothes. However, the clip is seems to be made out of comfy plastic covered steel... mine are still rocking 'n rolling... 

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #51 of 122
for the KSC75 it is the jack area you have to worry about. The wires are not that secure at all vs the portapro jack. I am on my fourth pair now cause of those jack issues. Though I do use mine for everything when at work or out and about so they do get pretty beat on.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #52 of 122
Porta Pro by Koss

Mind explaining why?

for the KSC75 it is the jack area you have to worry about. The wires are not that secure at all vs the portapro jack. I am on my fourth pair now cause of those jack issues. Though I do use mine for everything when at work or out and about so they do get pretty beat on.

Interesting... And do you find that the KSC75s leak sound at all? Also, I saw from your sig that you own a pair of 8323s... Are they uncomfortable at all?

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #53 of 122
Quote:
Mind explaining why?
Interesting... And do you find that the KSC75s leak sound at all? Also, I saw from your sig that you own a pair of 8323s... Are they uncomfortable at all?

No i don't find they leak all that much sound but I don't listen very loud on them. They don't leak like say a AKG Q701 does.
I didn't find them uncomfortable in the least. They are very odd looking though once you have them on, just don't look in a mirror. I should change that as I don't own them any more. 

Jul 7, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #54 of 122
No i don't find they leak all that much sound but I don't listen very loud on them. They don't leak like say a AKG Q701 does.
I didn't find them uncomfortable in the least. They are very odd looking though once you have them on, just don't look in a mirror. I should change that as I don't own them any more. 

Why did you get rid of them, if I may ask?

Right now I feel like the choice has come down to the 8323s vs the Koss Pro DJ100s (depending on how much I want to spend) - I've heard a lot about the former, but does anyone have experience with the latter?

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #56 of 122
Quote:
Why did you get rid of them, if I may ask?
Right now I feel like the choice has come down to the 8323s vs the Koss Pro DJ100s (depending on how much I want to spend) - I've heard a lot about the former, but does anyone have experience with the latter?

I got rid of the Monoprice cause the left cup just stopped working for no reason. It might have been the cord or the wiring in the cup itself. I don't remember dropping them or throwing them around. /shrug. For the price it was worth it just to try them out though. They do sound good if not a little dark. (Very slightly) Could be due to the compressed soundstage. They are very closed after all.
I just prefer my HD668B, DT990pros, ksc75(portapro headband), or portapro(with KSC75 Clips) a lot more. I am an open headphone person. 
You should really read the DJ100 impressions thread it is a really great read and full of opinions and they would definitely be able to answer any questions you might have. I was really tempted to get them during the sale in Canada just cause I love the lower end Koss sound.

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #57 of 122

Sorry, I'm looking for a new pair of headphones.

To others: please don't try and sell me your used pairs of headphones.

I got rid of the Monoprice cause the left cup just stopped working for no reason. It might have been the cord or the wiring in the cup itself. I don't remember dropping them or throwing them around. /shrug. For the price it was worth it just to try them out though. They do sound good if not a little dark. (Very slightly) Could be due to the compressed soundstage. They are very closed after all.
I just prefer my HD668B, DT990pros, ksc75(portapro headband), or portapro(with KSC75 Clips) a lot more. I am an open headphone person. 
You should really read the DJ100 impressions thread it is a really great read and full of opinions and they would definitely be able to answer any questions you might have. I was really tempted to get them during the sale in Canada just cause I love the lower end Koss sound.

I'm just worried about sound leakage with open headphones - that's why I'm looking at the Monoprices and DJ100s - also, where is this reactions thread you speak of?

Also, did you try to get the Monoprices replaced? They supposedly have a lifetime warranty.

Jul 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #60 of 122
The Koss ProDJ100 are currently $47.27 shipped from Amazon. Grab em while the price is low.
I like them better than the M30's. Definitely worth the price.

They're tempting at that price point... Right now it's DJ100 @ $50 vs 8323 @ $25

Shure will give you neutral sounding

Any reccommended cans from them between $25 and $50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back