Good Cans <=$80
Jul 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #76 of 122
Quote:
Without a doubt take major advantage of that price on the DJ100. They are easily an absolute steal at that price. Do it. No question the best you'll get for that money.

I'm tempted - seems like a pretty good choice.
Quote:
No I would say I am extremely impressed with them and what Koss has pulled off. I am sorry it comes off more negative then it should but I was purposely trying to be hard on them. Just the way I am.

For the 69.99 CAD I paid I really like them right now. Do I prefer my open phones? Yup but I also love soundstage depth more then anything when it comes to headphones. So open suits my listening needs a lot more. Strap some ATH-M50 pads on them and they will be a keeper for sure.

I personally would not pick up the 8323s (I can't get over how much I hate how they look when I wore them.) over DJ100s. But I am also not under the same budget constraints either. For a high isolation phone I would get a JVC iem in your price range or a Sony XB-series, but you are not in the market for either of those.

The HD668B was my first headphone I got when I really started to care what I heard and I will not trade or sell that headphone for anything it is first love and always will be. But it is not a portable can with isolation. Leaks like crazy and the pads are HORRID on them. The 681 is designed on the same driver housing and pads as is the Samson. They are just spec'd differently. 

Oh, alright then.  The DJ100s are sounding pretty good right now.
Quote:
But who knows if you can discounted or refurbished SR440 for less than $60, isnt it wonderful?
The other balanced neutral from sennheiser is HD201

Where do you even see the SRH440 for $60 to begin with?  The lowest I see is Amazon, which is $60.

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #78 of 122
One thing I forgot to mention was that until now I had Skullcandy Uprocks (they were $30, I needed a set of headphones, I didn't know better - don't judge me QQ).

The point is, they were also an open set of headphones.  However, because I usually play my music pretty softly, it didn't bother most people most of the time.  Are the Portapros particularly leaky for open headphones, or are they pretty standard?  What would you recommend if I was open to a set of open headphones?

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #79 of 122
Actually, I think I may go for the Koss Pro DJ 100s.

I'm also considering picking up a cheap amp to go with them.  Would you recommend a Fiio E5 or E6?  Also, I'll be mainly using these headphones with my computer - would an amp greatly help with this experience?

EDIT: Also, if I was to use this amp with an iPhone/iPod, does an L3 cable really help with the sound quality?  Because I currently use cases that interfere with the dock connection, and idk if I really want to switch.

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #80 of 122
6 pages of advice for a $50 headphone
eek.gif

just get the Koss Pro DJ100s and be done with it.
beyersmile.png

they were $47 on Amazon a few days, now they are up to $50, and they might continue to rise: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Koss-ProDJ100-Headphones/product/B003X1BEKI

(the Porta Pros are "standard leaky" as you ask. but they are meant to be a portable can, they really aren't comfy for long listening sessions - i wouldn't want them as my main headphone.)

skip the amp and cable for now. grab the headphone and listen to it. enjoy it. if you feel that you need to buy more things, research those items after you have your headphones and decide later. you can read this thread for all the discussions on the DJ100: http://www.head-fi.org/t/571216/koss-pro-dj-100-the-budget-king/615#post_8518038

to save you 50 pages of reading though, common purchases for the DJ100 include ATH M50 replacement earpads and the Fiio E11 amp.

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #81 of 122
Quote:
eek.gif

beyersmile.png

Exactly 
smile.gif

I've not heard a single <=$40 closed headphone that I can say I really like. The Koss Pro DJ100 are not my favs. but they are superior to the HD202 in my opinion. So if closed is what you want, get those. They also look really nice and durable.

On the other hand, I love the KSC-75/PortaPros and they will destroy the Pro DJ100 in terms of sound quality in my experience. "Leaky" headphones are more of an issue for the sound that leaks INTO the headphone (they don't isolate.) But believe me, it is not like you are carrying a boom box glued to your ears. I would get these ones. But then again, they don't look classy as the Pro DJ100.

Instead of thinking about an Amp and cables, I would get the Pro DJ100 and with the KSC-75 (the Fiio E6 by itself is actually more expensive than the KSC-75) - We are talking < $$$ than what one would pay to fill the gas tank. Neither needs an amp as they are efficient enough to be driven by an iPad/iPod and computer with ease. If you get both, you get a reasonable isolating HP, and an great sound/value open can (different applications). 

If you got to have only one, then my vote is still goes for the ProtaPros. But man a Pro DJ100 is not a bad can either, so if looks are also a factor, by all means get those and enjoy.

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #82 of 122
Quote:
eek.gif

beyersmile.png

they were $47 on Amazon a few days, now they are up to $50, and they might continue to rise: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Koss-ProDJ100-Headphones/product/B003X1BEKI

(the Porta Pros are "standard leaky" as you ask. but they are meant to be a portable can, they really aren't comfy for long listening sessions - i wouldn't want them as my main headphone.)

skip the amp and cable for now. grab the headphone and listen to it. enjoy it. if you feel that you need to buy more things, research those items after you have your headphones and decide later. you can read this thread for all the discussions on the DJ100: http://www.head-fi.org/t/571216/koss-pro-dj-100-the-budget-king/615#post_8518038

to save you 50 pages of reading though, common purchases for the DJ100 include ATH M50 replacement earpads and the Fiio E11 amp.

Quote:

Exactly 
smile.gif

I've not heard a single <=$40 closed headphone that I can say I really like. The Koss Pro DJ100 are not my favs. but they are superior to the HD202 in my opinion. So if closed is what you want, get those. They also look really nice and durable.

On the other hand, I love the KSC-75/PortaPros and they will destroy the Pro DJ100 in terms of sound quality in my experience. "Leaky" headphones are more of an issue for the sound that leaks INTO the headphone (they don't isolate.) But believe me, it is not like you are carrying a boom box glued to your ears. I would get these ones. But then again, they don't look classy as the Pro DJ100.

Instead of thinking about an Amp and cables, I would get the Pro DJ100 and with the KSC-75 (the Fiio E6 by itself is actually more expensive than the KSC-75) - We are talking < $$$ than what one would pay to fill the gas tank. Neither needs an amp as they are efficient enough to be driven by an iPad/iPod and computer with ease. If you get both, you get a reasonable isolating HP, and an great sound/value open can (different applications). 

If you got to have only one, then my vote is still goes for the ProtaPros. But man a Pro DJ100 is not a bad can either, so if looks are also a factor, by all means get those and enjoy.

Sorry for over thinking things - it's in my nature 
tongue.gif
.  However, I could pick up a pair of E6s for $20-25, so I was just curious.

Well, I guess this is solved (I'll mark it).  Thanks again everyone, and sorry for
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back