Good Cans <=$80
Jul 7, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #31 of 122
ATH M30 are a fantastic starter headphone for around $40-$45.

The first set of headphones I ever bought were the HD 202's, and while I liked them, they weren't anything special. Next, I upgraded to the M30's, and there was such a noticeable difference in soud quality (and comfort). These lean toward the neutral side, and because of that, sound good with many genres. They are really comfortable, although I'll mention that while these are considered circumaural (over-ear), the ear pads aren't that large. My ears just fit inside the pads for a snug-ish fit (very similar to the Koss DJ100 & ATH M50's). At the time I thought they were very comfortable, but now since I have many more headphones to compare them to, I'd say they are average (though this comparison is to much more expensive cans).

Also, these don't fold down at all, so keep that in mind for portability. The ATH M35 fold down, but they are more expensive. The build quality is quite good, and they'll likely last a while. I also like that the M30's have a single-sided cable, as double-sided cables get in the way, which I sometimes find annoying.

I also have the Porta Pro's, and while I like them, the M30's sound much better (to me). The Porta Pro's leak a lot, and have a boomy bass, but they are fun sounding and fold up so small that I enjoy walking around with them. I've never tried the Monoprice's, but I've read that they can be uncomfortable - maybe an owner can chime in on that factor.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #32 of 122
@Slivortal, after re-reading your initial post I've realized you are more focused on portable listening than I first thought. For that reason I would probably lean away from the Senn 201/202/203, to be honest. They are fairly large and for portable listening I do agree the long cables can be an issue.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #33 of 122
ATH M30 are a fantastic starter headphone for around $40-$45.

The first set of headphones I ever bought were the HD 202's, and while I liked them, they weren't anything special. Next, I upgraded to the M30's, and there was such a noticeable difference in soud quality (and comfort). These lean toward the neutral side, and because of that, sound good with many genres. They are really comfortable, although I'll mention that while these are considered circumaural (over-ear), the ear pads aren't that large. My ears just fit inside the pads for a snug-ish fit (very similar to the Koss DJ100 & ATH M50's). At the time I thought they were very comfortable, but now since I have many more headphones to compare them to, I'd say they are average (though this comparison is to much more expensive cans).

Also, these don't fold down at all, so keep that in mind for portability. The ATH M35 fold down, but they are more expensive. The build quality is quite good, and they'll likely last a while. I also like that the M30's have a single-sided cable, as double-sided cables get in the way, which I sometimes find annoying.

I also have the Porta Pro's, and while I like them, the M30's sound much better (to me). The Porta Pro's leak a lot, and have a boomy bass, but they are fun sounding and fold up so small that I enjoy walking around with them. I've never tried the Monoprice's, but I've read that they can be uncomfortable - maybe an owner can chime in on that factor.

So the ATH-M30/M35s are another option I guess (albeit not really portable). How would these fare against their contemporaries, ie the Koss Pro DJ100s, Samson SR850s/HD668Bs?

Though this is more of a tangent - I feel for my uses, the portability/price of the Portapros/HD201-202s/8323s is an ideal point. Disappointed to hear about the leakage on the Kosses. If the 8323s are as uncomfortable as everyone says, then I guess I'm ironically back where I started - the HD201-202s (still not sure which is better).

But are the 8323s really that uncomfortable?

EDIT:

@Slivortal, after re-reading your initial post I've realized you are more focused on portable listening than I first thought. For that reason I would probably lean away from the Senn 201/202/203, to be honest. They are fairly large and for portable listening I do agree the long cables can be an issue.

I need SOME portability. While I'm fine with buds for my iPhone, I'll be mostly using these with my computer (where buds are insufficient). As a computer scientist, I carry (and listen to) my laptop pretty much everywhere, and I'm looking for something that I can carry around with it.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #34 of 122
Quote:

Yeah, the 202/203 is a little muddy.  However, what do you expect in a closed headphone in that price range.  The HD202 (old version) came with a cable wrap.  The HD202 and HD202 II are actually the same headphone, just different packaging.  Anyway, it is very portable once you have the wirewrap.  They don't fold, but they are very durable and can be tossed about.  Here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-202-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B000065BP9/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341639468&sr=1-2&keywords=hd+202

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #35 of 122
Quote:
So, I was looking around for a decent pair of headphones to ask for for my birthday. Looking for some that are relatively light, durable, and portable, with good sound (obviously). ABSOLUTE upper limit is $50, though under $40 is preferred.
So far, Koss Portapros and Sennheiser HD202s have been the real standouts - which would be better? Though other suggestions would be appreciated.
Usually I listen to classic rock and metal. I'm not looking for a huge bass; I like a balanced sound.
Thanks for the help!

Short answer:

Get the KSC-75.

Long answer:

I own both the HD202s and the KSC-75s. Here is the breakdown on your parameters:
Weight: Both are light but the KSC-75 are lighter. (KSC-75 wins)
Durability: Both are plastic, but perhaps because they are light they have survived quite a few falls (KSC-75 survives gym abuse.) - (KSC-75 wins)
Portability: No contest the KSC-75. (KSC-75 wins)
Good Sound: The KSC-75 destroys the HD202 in my experience. (KSC-75 wins)
Music Preferences: KSC-75 is ideal for classic rock and metal. The HD202 has more bass but muddy. The KSC-75 has good quality punchy bass. I can tell you that I could not believe the bass that was coming out of the KSC-75. And the KSC-75 is more balanced than the HD202. (KSC-75)

I cannot recommend the KSC-75 enough. The KSC-75 has a Grado like signature. I've heard several Grados including the more "laid back" PS-500 and I would still take the KSC-75s over them! What can I say... The HD202 has a more dark, muddy, and mid-weird signature. Compare:

BTW: In terms of soundstage, I heard the KSC-75 out of my RXV-663 receiver (Star Wars movie) when I compared them against all the cans I had a the time: HD202, DT990-250, Audeo PFE112, and a loaner: T50RP stock... KSC-75 won! (DT990 might have a bit more soundstage but they are too bright for my taste.) All the other cans could not touch the KSC-75 in terms of soundstage.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #36 of 122
Short answer:

Get the KSC-75.

Long answer:

I own both the HD202s and the KSC-75s. Here is the breakdown on your parameters:
Durability: Both are plastic, but perhaps because they are light they have survived quite a few falls (KSC-75 survives gym abuse.) - (KSC-75 wins)
Music Preferences: KSC-75 is ideal for classic rock and metal. The HD202 has more bass but muddy. The KSC-75 has good quality punchy bass. I can tell you that I could not believe the bass that was coming out of the KSC-75. And the KSC-75 is more balanced than the HD202. (KSC-75)

I cannot recommend the KSC-75 enough. The KSC-75 has a Grado like signature. I've heard several Grados including the more "laid back" PS-500 and I would still take the KSC-75s over them! What can I say... The HD202 has a more dark, muddy, and mid-weird signature. Compare:

Do you have any leakage issues with the KSC-75s? I need something that keeps the music to myself in quieter places (think workplace).

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #37 of 122
Quote:

Short answer:

Get the KSC-75.

Long answer:

BTW: In terms of soundstage, I heard the KSC-75 out of my RXV-663 receiver (Star Wars movie) when I compared them against all the cans I had a the time: HD202, DT990-250, Audeo PFE112, and a loaner: T50RP stock... KSC-75 won! (DT990 might have a bit more soundstage but they are too bright for my taste.) All the other cans could not touch the KSC-75 in terms of soundstage.

They have ZERO isolation though and leak like crazy, which makes them a no go.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #38 of 122
The KSC-75 is an open can (one of the reasons it sounds like a Grado and outperforms many of it's peers.)

It does leak sound, but it all depends on how high you set the volume. At work I take them off with the music on when someone walk into my office, and most of times I can't tell if they are on even when right next to me (I listen to my music at moderate levels.)

I use them for work and have no issues with alienating people... That said, you will hear other people talking while you have them on... However, I would take the lack of isolation for the quality of sound vs. great isolation with sub-standard quality of sound.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #39 of 122
The KSC-75 is an open can (one of the reasons it sounds like a Grado and outperforms many of it's peers.)

It does leak sound, but it all depends on how high you set the volume. At work I take them off with the music on when someone walk into my office, and most of times I can't tell if they are on even when right next to me (I listen to my music at moderate levels.)

I use them for work and have no issues with alienating people... That said, you will hear other people talking while you have them on... However, I would take the lack of isolation for the quality of sound vs. great isolation with sub-standard quality of sound.

I really don't care at all for isolation. In fact, I prefer ear buds to IEMs for comfort and the fact that I can hear if someone tries talking to me. What I do care about is that no one else hears my music. Otherwise, I might as well just invest in a stereo system (albeit slightly less portable).

As for my listening levels, I tend to like to listen to my music pretty softly - I have rather sharp hearing, and I usually like to take the volume to the minimum point necessary to hear all the details I can get out of the music.

I hope people don't think I'm blasting my music when I'm so worried about sound leakage - I'm more worried about disturbing others even as I listen at my low/moderate levels.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #40 of 122
Quote:
I really don't care at all for isolation. In fact, I prefer ear buds to IEMs for comfort and the fact that I can hear if someone tries talking to me. What I do care about is that no one else hears my music. Otherwise, I might as well just invest in a stereo system (albeit slightly less portable).
As for my listening levels, I tend to like to listen to my music pretty softly - I have rather sharp hearing, and I usually like to take the volume to the minimum point necessary to hear all the details I can get out of the music.
I hope people don't think I'm blasting my music when I'm so worried about sound leakage - I'm more worried about disturbing others even as I listen at my low/moderate levels.

Then KSC-75 is your answer because in my experience:

1) They are comfortable vs IEM (I'm actually selling my Audeo PFEs)
2) You will hear if someone tries to talk to you.
3) No one will hear your music unless you turn it up and are 2 meters away from you (they might instead hear you singing your tunes though 
smile.gif
)

You can buy these little gems for way less than their MSRP. I bought mine for $16! Did I just compared a few post ago a $600 can vs these!?

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #41 of 122
Quote:
As a computer scientist, ...

Hey, me too. :) What languages do you use/prefer? (Off topic but what the hell. PM me if you want).

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #42 of 122
Balanced sound? neither KSC75 & HD202 considered as balanced. They are bassy.
Balanced sound look for HD228. They are polite balanced sounding. Or SHURE SRH440 , a bit steril too me
I prefer HD202 more full sounding & bass impact. KSC75 treble a bit too artificial to my ears, while in HD202 is warm sounding
HD202 bass are heavier & more impact than KSC75 which had more treble presences

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #43 of 122
Quote:
But are the 8323s really that uncomfortable?

No, they're not that uncomfortable. The ear pads are a bit small and use pretty cheap pleather, but they're not awful. The headband could use a bit more cushioning, as it hurts my head after extended listening periods. I'm sensitive with headphones hurting the top of my head, though. Other than that, they're lightweight and have a very light clamping force.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #44 of 122
In terms of bass, the KSC75 is punchy and less extended in the sub-bass region vs the HD202. As far as the HD228, from the plots bellow, I see a lot of similarities between the HD228 and KSC75 in the mids and highs (vs the HD202). However, the HD228 does not look balanced at all... more like a bass type can:

I have not heard the HD228, but I've heard the HD238 (their open brother) and while good I did not think they were superior to the KSC75 (at least to me) in sound quality. However they were more comfortable and look very nice.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #45 of 122
In terms of bass, the KSC75 is punchy and less extended in the sub-bass region vs the HD202. As far as the HD228, from the plots bellow, I see a lot of similarities between the HD228 and KSC75 in the mids and highs (vs the HD202). However, the HD228 does not look balanced at all... more like a bass type can:

I have not heard the HD228, but I've heard the HD238 (their open brother) and while good I did not think they were superior to the KSC75 (at least to me) in sound quality. However they were more comfortable and look very nice.

Out of curiosity, where do you rate the infamous Portapros in comparison to the KSC75s?

Also, if I were to spend $50 on headphones (like the HD228), I'd rather get something a bit higher quality, like the Koss DJ Pro100s, or the Samson SR850s/Superlux 668B (I'm pretty sure the latter two are the same thing?), which is still a possibility, but not sure if that's the route I want to take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back