++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 2, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #29,371 of 29,490
Quote:
Well, the V-Moda M80s are good headphones at that $150 price. Might be hard to be "wowed" at the same price without listening to a bunch of different headphones and finding the headphone that is the best fit for your personal tastes. The only thing I can suggest is that maybe you might want to go with an open headphone for the bigger soundstage, assuming you don't need isolation How about the DT990 Pro 250? There are just a few left on Amazon at $170. If I'm not mistaken, those have typically run like $225 or more.

I actually already own a pair of Audio Technica AD700s, and the open soundstage is awesome but I actually would like something with isolation. The V-Modas have decent isolation and I agree that they are pretty great, but after a while they start to get a bit uncomfortable, which is why I would also like something full-sized and over-ear.

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #29,372 of 29,490
Quote:
Howdy folks,

I'm looking for a different set of cans for work. Currently using Audio Technica ATH M40FS. Too much midrange for me, however they isolate nicely and are very comfy. Been using ipod EQ to even out the mids, but it's not helping as much as I'd like it to. I have Beyer DT770/250's at home (I rather enjoy the recessed midrange on these). My "work" amp is a Bravo Audio V2 (because it's cheap, and because I don't want to worry about someone walking off with something expensive).

So with all that in mind:

0) Around $100 USD;
1) Needs to be closed back;
2) A "fun" headphone with emphasized bass, recessed mids, emphasized highs is fine (I have a distinct hearing loss of about 6 dB at 4 kHz, so something that emphasizes that range is good);
3) Can be driven with a Bravo Audio V2 (which drives my DT770/250's just fine);
4) Would like them to be loose fitting on a large head - around 8 hat size (this is the only thing about my M40's I really like);
5) Music type is primarily rock but I listen to almost everything;
6) Don't care about stuff like coiled/straight cords, jack type, color, etc. I prefer function over cosmetics. Please don't recommend gold or pink, though.
7) Impedance can be 32-250 ohms, a bit higher is probably ok.

It almost sounds like I want something similar to the DT770's, but cheaper. Well, yeah, maybe so lol. I don't want to use my DT770's at work, because they clamp too hard on my head. I could not wear them all day. So comfort is A Big Deal to me. If I need to spend a bit more than $100 to get cans that fit the above specs, please recommend anyway.

Thank you kindly for your time.

So after reading this thread for a while, I've come to the conclusion that there are just too many posts going by, at such a fast rate, that no one can keep up with making recommendations. There seem to be two distinct types of questions:

1) Experienced people (more or less) who give an enumerated list of requirements (such as I did above), and,
2) Newer people who basically ask, what are the best headphones for XXX amount.

I applaud and thank the folks who try to answer some of these questions. It occurs to me that just trying to spend one's spare time trying to answer posts in this thread, would consume several hours of every day (which makes it a part time job). I have been tempted to answer a couple of them, but I realized that the only cans I had any business recommending would be the very few limited models I have any experience with. In all honesty, I found that I could not genuinely answer any of the posts with a reasonable, meaningful reply.

It would seem that having manufacturer reps answering these questions would pose a risk of conflict of interest, which is why I suppose there aren't teams of people from every manufacturer in here answering these questions. Or perhaps they don't have the money to hire people to do that sort of thing. Or perhaps its just a website policy, which would also be totally understandable.

Since I made my original post, I've been reading this thread to see if anyone replied. No one has, so I am presuming that there either wasn't an easy answer, or maybe there just are no easy answers to these questions. Or maybe as I observed, there just isn't enough time in the day, for people who might volunteer their time to do such things. There are, after all, presumably a small number of people who have sufficient experience, have owned lots and lots of headphones, and could spend their spare hours answering these questions - nevermind doing it day in and day out, for years.

In my case, after deciding my post had got lost in the weeds, I decided to go back and read. After a while, I decided that a pair of Sony MDR 7506 sounded like they fit the bill, as it were. I guess I'll find out some time next week how well that estimation turns out.

So I suppose I wonder, why this thread exists? The new reader is directed here to ask questions, instead of posting new threads. I haven't even tried to look at all of the new threads. This website represents a huge resource of information, but clearly, it takes time to sift through everything. And I suppose people want an answer right now, and not have to go dig through a bunch of forums. On the other hand, I would suppose there are plenty of cases where kind people have made recommendations, only to have the people come back to them and say, "those cans you recommended to me really suck!" Which would pretty much stop me from ever making another recommendation out of the kindness of my heart.

So yeah. I guess there was no good easy answer to my question. And I suppose there isn't an easy one for anyone else. Which is probably why so many people own so many headphones, lol. You just have to try them out for yourself.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #29,373 of 29,490
I was thinking about returning my Grado sr80i and getting either the AKG K550 or Grado sr225i. Would either of these be worth it if I'm already getting the sennheiser hd558? I've tried the grados and they're pretty good, better than my AKG K240, but I'm looking for something higher end. I'm concerned the K550 wouldn't be good for rock and metal though. The sr225i and K550 are around the same price range and I am looking for a semi-portable headphone for use for walking around my house. I know I'm going through a lot of headphones, but it's a lot of fun for me to try out a lot of them.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #29,374 of 29,490
Quote:
Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.  No one can do this for you.

The problem is that i cant afford a second pair of headphones in case i did not like the first one. I cant just risk it as i am gonna be keeping the headphones for a while.

So what would be a safe choice?

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #29,375 of 29,490
Quote:
I was thinking about returning my Grado sr80i and getting either the AKG K550 or Grado sr225i. Would either of these be worth it if I'm already getting the sennheiser hd558? I've tried the grados and they're pretty good, better than my AKG K240, but I'm looking for something higher end. I'm concerned the K550 wouldn't be good for rock and metal though. The sr225i and K550 are around the same price range and I am looking for a semi-portable headphone for use for walking around my house. I know I'm going through a lot of headphones, but it's a lot of fun for me to try out a lot of them.

Exchange A for B or C?
Already bought D, so is B or C worth it?
A is better than E, but you want something better than A, B, C, D, or E?
Worried that B isn't good for rock?
B and C cost the same but you want portable cans.

I think I see why nobody gets answers in this thread.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #29,376 of 29,490
Quote:

Exchange A for B or C?
Already bought D, so is B or C worth it?
A is better than E, but you want something better than A, B, C, D, or E?
Worried that B isn't good for rock?
B and C cost the same but you want portable cans.

blink.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #29,377 of 29,490
Quote:
The problem is that i cant afford a second pair of headphones in case i did not like the first one. I cant just risk it as i am gonna be keeping the headphones for a while.

Find a store that sells headphones and try them on?

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #29,380 of 29,490
Hello, my friend asked for a headphones recommendation. He wants full sized closed headphones which will be used with laptop so dac/amp might be necessary. Budget is up to 1000$ for headphone and amp/dac combo if needed. He likes to listen Scorpions, Roling Stones, U2 and such. Also headphones shouldn't be bass anemic. What are your recommendations?

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #29,381 of 29,490

Definitely a lot of fun to try them out :)

But I would recommend you wait until you get the HD558s before thinking about this. If you haven't figured it out by now, your listening preferences are the ultimate judge of which is best. The Grado house sound is different from the K550, and both are different from the HD558s. I think the only way to truly get the answer you seek is to listen to all of them :)

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #29,382 of 29,490
I actually already own a pair of Audio Technica AD700s, and the open soundstage is awesome but I actually would like something with isolation. The V-Modas have decent isolation and I agree that they are pretty great, but after a while they start to get a bit uncomfortable, which is why I would also like something full-sized and over-ear.

Then Ultrasone 750s seem like they might be your best bet without knowing any more about what you are looking for. The "wow" effect you seek doesn't really say anything about the type of sound signature you are seeking.

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #29,383 of 29,490
I applaud and thank the folks who try to answer some of these questions. It occurs to me that just trying to spend one's spare time trying to answer posts in this thread, would consume several hours of every day (which makes it a part time job).

MANY people get recommendations in this thread. Just because no one had a suggestion for you, does not mean that NOBODY gets answers.

Meanwhile, discussing/commenting on how frequently or whether or why not people get help doesn't help this thread given how busy it is. This is the Internet. You ask a question on a forum. One gets help if someone reads a post and has the answer. Sometimes, no one that has read the post has the answer, so no help. Might as well talk about why rain is wet.

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #29,384 of 29,490

Many of us buy headphones from places that have a good return policy. So you make your best choice, order them, demo them for a few days, being sure to keep the phones and packaging in mint condition, and then return them if you don't like them. The "demo" fee of return shipping is a small price to pay for making certain you are happy with your choice when buying headphones in your price range.

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #29,385 of 29,490
Quote:
Many of us buy headphones from places that have a good return policy. So you make your best choice, order them, demo them for a few days, being sure to keep the phones and packaging in mint condition, and then return them if you don't like them. The "demo" fee of return shipping is a small price to pay for making certain you are happy with your choice when buying headphones in your price range.

Well due to recommendations (innderfidelity and lots of others) i have the ATH m50, a purchase that i regret so deeply.

Before the m50 i was listening to my music on 20 us dollar akg k315 IEM's and i actually still prefer those to the m50. The way i would describe the feeling is that the sound suffocates. The lack of room to breath causes the sound to be blurry and low on detail. And the bass is really overwhelming. For that reason i want no further taste of ATH.

So i dont know. Based on that i guess that the hifiman he-300 would suit me well (Open type, amped easily, balanced/neutral according to what i read + i like the design).  Would the he 400 be worth the extra money?

Or are these choices completely unjustified?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back